It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Is An African-American?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Kr0n0s

but ... it is nigh - ger ... and nigh- jeer -ian, as in the end is nigh, rhymes with high .... not what is said when that is used which sounds like the beginning of nimble or nixon.

but labels, race, class, group, otherwise is quite immature ... this is why you see h.s. kids grouped in preps, nerds, jocks, etc.

I had hoped in my lifetime people would accept everyone for who/what/how they are. But ... I still see people being discriminated against for tattoos, piercings, hair color, clothing ... if people can't see past that to who the person is inside ... well, it doesn't look so good.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by FreeThinkerIdealist

Well, it really doesnt matter I suppose.. either way it isnt a nice thing to say, whether its worthy of being a crime is something that I dont agree with but that isnt what can you do..

I agree with your opinion on groups or cliques in HS or anywhere else.. they are immature and very divisive.
I always thought it was funny that black fought so hard to be integrated into regular classes and schools but now they still segregate themselves within the schools lol..

In the small HS that I went to, there were cliques but all of the cliques still hung out with each other.. ahh those bonfire parties were a blast

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 04:20 AM
link   
WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP BRING UP AFRICAN AMERICAN TOPICS

[edit on 12-10-2007 by luckystar01]

-----------------------------------------

The Use of ALL CAPs All Members Please Read

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 12/10/07 by masqua]

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Kr0n0s

Slighlty off thread but...
STAN as in Afghanistan translated as LAND as in England; Land of the English.

Now then,
People from Afghanistan are called Afghani's.
People from Uzbekistan are called Uzbecki's.
People from Kazakstan are called Kazak's.
People from Tajikstan are called Tajik's.

Here's the point,
Apparently we can't call people from Pakistan you know what because it is offensive and people in the UK have been prosecuted for using the term.

Now I do accept that some people use it in a derogatory fashion but if I was Pakistani I would want to reclaim it.

Sorry for going off thread, just in response to the post on how names / words can get corrupted and imply quite the opposite of their original useage.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
STAN as in Afghanistan translated as LAND as in England; Land of the English.

Now then,

My friend Stanley Puck would like a few words with somebody about this.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 05:43 AM
link   
For the past few years whenever I have to fill in the blank I check other and white in AMERICAN. Gotta start taking a stand sometimes and thats mine. I work with a black guy who was born in France he keeps telling the label givers he's French and black so he's not really accepted and that is fine with him.

mikell

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by jjohns

Charlize Theron should be considered as being African-American IMO.

And why are all these people considering themselves only African-American? The vast majority of them are mixed and have just as much European or Native American ancestors as African ancestors. Some so called "African-Americans" even have Eastern European names! That's upheaving one heritage and ignoring the other. Barack Obama has much more African blood in him than the majority of these people.

Real Africans (born and raised in sub-saharan countries) find it hilarious that these people consider themselves "African-American".

Me, I'm black... But I'm not African-Arubian or African-Dutch. I feel Arubian, and I am Dutch according to my passport. I'm mixed from at least three continents. I'm not denying that as millions of people in the United States do.

[edit on 12-10-2007 by TheBandit795]

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by luckystar01

dude your avatar is anoying and why are you complaining about this thread if the topic comes up its because it is still a social issue.

besides blacks are not africans anymore than whites are brittish everyone born here is an american regardless of their ethnicity. only those first gen imigrants have the right to add their original counrty to the ...... american

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by luckystar01

dude your avatar is anoying and why are you complaining about this thread if the topic comes up its because it is still a social issue.

besides blacks are not africans anymore than whites are brittish everyone born here is an american regardless of their ethnicity. only those first gen imigrants have the right to add their original counrty to the ...... american

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I finally found some story about this in the NY Times archives.

NY Times

For a moment, the Ethiopian-born activist seemed to melt into the crowd, blending into the sea of black professors, health experts and community leaders considering how to educate blacks about the dangers of prostate cancer. But when he piped up to suggest focusing some attention on African immigrants, the dividing lines were promptly and pointedly drawn.

The focus of the campaign, the activist, Abdulaziz Kamus, was told, would be strictly on African-Americans.

''I said, 'But I am African and I am an American citizen; am I not African-American?''' said Mr. Kamus, who is an advocate for African immigrants here, recalling his sense of bewilderment. ''They said 'No, no, no, not you.'''

So apparently there is a real conflict of what gives somebody the right to call themselves an African-American. Now I just need to see if anybody knows if the government officially changed the criteria.

As I suspected, this article reflects a situation in which blacks are pitted against blacks, and Obama is at the center of the debate.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Some things are just hilarious. Take fr'instance, the "N" word, which at this point in time can't even be printed. Anyone know what it actually means? It's just a color, the pronuciation and spelling of which has been corrupted, as in most languages over the years, and used as an insult. If you look umongst other languages, the word is still used in various spellings without some nefarious meaning.
I actually work with a man from SA who is white, and had couldn't use the "African " tag on his application.
I remember a time when it was not PC to call anyone of a darker cast anything other than "Black". Then a decade or so later, "Black" was an insult, and it was only PC to call one of a darker skin "Colored". That didn't last much past the Disco Days, and now, it is considered and insult, and "African American" is the norm.
As the social barriers fall by the wayside, and multi-ethnic backrounds become more common, how shall be call them, to be PC?
My nephew is 1/2 African American and 1/2 Italian, (a combination that is already getting him in trouble in Jr. High---mom is getting him his own phone as she is tired of spending all night taking messages from all the girls.)
Maybe to avoid confusion and sensitivities, maybe we should all describe ourselves as food items.
Potatoes au gratin as mine being of Irish-French backround.

The rules would be quite simple, no "And" or "With" in the title, in your native tongue, as blended is the idea, and when the last living immigrant passes on, you have to take your food identity from the country you reside in.

Eventually, it will be embarassing to be a plain "apple pie", "spaghetti", "vegamite", "kim chee", among many others.

Silly, you think?
Not nearly as silly as calling yourself "african,german,french,itialian,spanish,mexican,chineese,korean,irish,dutch,japaneese,canadian,scottish,pakastani,russian" hyphen American, when no one in generations lived in those lands.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by razor1000

your right but why is being black everyones issue .................black issue just get old and people need to find something else to talk about

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by gotrox

Maybe to avoid confusion and sensitivities, maybe we should all describe ourselves as food items.
Potatoes au gratin as mine being of Irish-French backround.

Uh, no thanks. I really would rather not be referred to as "hagus"
hahaha

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   
There is no such thing as African America....You are either American with decents from Africa or African living in the United States. There is no nationality African American...

With that being said, lets assume that there is such a thing as African American...if this was the case it wouldn't be for the purposes of color as their are many whites in Africa who would then be able to call themselves African American....so their goes the racial meaning....

Now lets take this one step further...if you black, I would be insulted if someone called me African American are a meaning for color if I was from England, France, or anywhere else...I wouldnt' be African American since my ancestors came from a European Country....

In the same sense I would be highly offended if I were white and African American, and I was questioned about my race (since African American is a term to describe race ie: Black) and my skin color if in fact I was white and born in Africa, as many are....

Now here is something else to ponder...on the Today Show a year or so ago, they had a gentlemen on who did DNA tests on Anne, Matt, Al and Katie....he was doing some type of DNA/Geneology Project, and he determined that they all had some of the same DNA putting all of their ancestors at some point in Africa. He then went on to explain that he is proving with his research that all people came from a very limited area, and depending upon where your ancestors ended up depends on if you are white, black, latino or asian...so based on that theory we would all be African American....

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I think blacks sthemselves can call each other whatever they wants. They use Dogs, N1**ers, Bi**es and any other terms you can think of.

It's what outside the black race call them is when they have a problem.

You call them blacks, they sue your ass. You call them African-American, they get offended, they just want to give non-blacks a hard time. Reverse-racism. They are super-sensitive all the time. I have black friends in college and we always have to think twice before talking. But the blacks can call whites: Whiteys, Rednecks, white trash and we would all laugh it off. But try calling them anything, they get pissed.

Why they have so many labels? Because they themselves have issue with racial identity. So they chastice the whites.

IMHO.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeThinkerIdealist
reply to post by Kr0n0s

but ... it is nigh - ger ... and nigh- jeer -ian, as in the end is nigh, rhymes with high .... not what is said when that is used which sounds like the beginning of nimble or nixon.

but labels, race, class, group, otherwise is quite immature ... this is why you see h.s. kids grouped in preps, nerds, jocks, etc.

I had hoped in my lifetime people would accept everyone for who/what/how they are. But ... I still see people being discriminated against for tattoos, piercings, hair color, clothing ... if people can't see past that to who the person is inside ... well, it doesn't look so good.

I saw the avatar first, and thought, my buddy would LOVE that picture.. Then I realized it WAS my buddy, lol. As for the topic, I am multiracial.
I am African, English, French/Belgium, German, Norwegian, Spanish, Native American Cree, Blackfoot and Cherokee.
When asked to check a race, I say other, write in multiracial, and then check all that apply.
If I HAVE to gove a race, I say I am Cree..
But race is something that is perceived by other people, right or wrong.
I have been asked many times if I am from the Polynesian archipelago islands, people swear I am from the Philippines for instance. I had an interesting conversation with an older Asian woman who told me QUOTE, You mommy lie, you daddy Chinese UNQUOTE.
I have been accused many times of being Spanish.
I recall one conversation.
An older gentleman walked up and said, Permiso Senrita, donde... and I didn't catch the restr.
I said Senior, Yo no hable espanol. Tu no habla, he asked, looking me up and down in disbelief.
No senior, yo no habla.
He then asked, Tu es latina, si? No senior, yo es morena (black, it was easier than trying to explain).
He looks at me again and repeats, Tu no habla espanol? No senor..
Tu no es latina. No senor.
He looks me up and down again, twists his face, and spits.
Mentirosa!
And he stalked away.
I had to laugh.
Here, everyone KNOWS I am spanish, and they think I am laying when I say I am not, or like the Asian woman, accuses my mother of lying.
In this world of race, and ethicity, one thing has been forgotten.
People are people. Period.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jjohns

thay are american thay are from africa thay came to america as slaves thats what i rekon thay should be american now that thay are there

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Sofunkyme,

There are caucasians in the U.S. who have african slaves as their ancestors. And they're not considered to be African-American.

And there are millions of so called "African-Americans", if not the majority of them, who have European, Asian, Native American or Polynesian ancestors as well as African ancestors. What should we call them then?

[edit on 12-10-2007 by TheBandit795]

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeThinkerIdealist
reply to post by Kr0n0s

I saw the avatar first, and thought, my buddy would LOVE that picture.. Then I realized it WAS my buddy, lol. As for the topic, I am multiracial.
I am African, English, French/Belgium, German, Norwegian, Spanish, Native American Cree, Blackfoot and Cherokee.
When asked to check a race, I say other, write in multiracial, and then check all that apply.
If I HAVE to gove a race, I say I am Cree..
But race is something that is perceived by other people, right or wrong.
I have been asked many times if I am from the Polynesian archipelago islands, people swear I am from the Philippines for instance. I had an interesting conversation with an older Asian woman who told me QUOTE, You mommy lie, you daddy Chinese UNQUOTE.
I have been accused many times of being Spanish.
I recall one conversation.
An older gentleman walked up and said, Permiso Senrita, donde... and I didn't catch the restr.
I said Senior, Yo no hable espanol. Tu no habla, he asked, looking me up and down in disbelief.
No senior, yo no habla.
He then asked, Tu es latina, si? No senior, yo es morena (black, it was easier than trying to explain).
He looks at me again and repeats, Tu no habla espanol? No senor..
Tu no es latina. No senor.
He looks me up and down again, twists his face, and spits.
Mentirosa!
And he stalked away.
I had to laugh.
Here, everyone KNOWS I am spanish, and they think I am laying when I say I am not, or like the Asian woman, accuses my mother of lying.
In this world of race, and ethicity, one thing has been forgotten.
People are people. Period.

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Ok, so...that means if you look Chinese and was born in America and your parents are from China, then you should call your self? American? what if your perants have an accent? should they still say they are Pure American... period? its kind of silly to have your family say " yes we Chinese" we have lived hear for 20 yrs but " lui mei, she is American" our heritage, our culture is? we are ALL American it's obvious.

Being an African-American is not being labeled, culture, its part of you, and there is nothing wrong with that. I don't see African-Americans has a N-word, I think its just nice to be connected to your cultural roots, sure i don't follow labels either, but I'm deeply connected with culture.

And who said Osama is going to become president? he is no where to be found..so..im not sure how thats going to happen..

[edit on 13-10-2007 by 1111111111111]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join