It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seven 5.0+ Earthquakes - SE of The Loyalty Islands in Two Hours and Many More..

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Chiiru

I believe the post is referring to this theory:

The trans-Pacific zipper effect - pdf

...Results: A series of recent biogeographical analyses delineates a zipper-like system of
sister areas running up both margins of the Pacific, with each section of western North
and South America corresponding to a particular section from East Asia/Australia/New
Zealand. These sister areas coincide neatly with a jigsaw-like fit provided by the
matching Mesozoic coastlines that bracket the Pacific...

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   
sorry false post

[edit on 28-9-2007 by punkinworks]

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by sty
I was always wondering : if you have a bar of 1 meter of iron, you increase the temperature with 1C degree then you see an increase in the size of the bar - this is called Thermal Expansion. Does anyone know how would this apply for our Earth if a global increase of 3 Celsius degrees would be applied? What about the gravitational pull created by a proximity passing of a 3x Jupiter sized body at 3-10 AU distance?

I just made the calculations (using an average increase of 10 x10^-6 % increase) and it seems to result in less than 500 meters increase in size for all the earth for every 1 Celsius degree increase in the global average temperature.. I know it makes no sense but I was just curious haha

[edit on 27-9-2007 by sty]

It doesnt work like that, only the temperuature of the atmosphere is increasing. Gravity will contain the atmosphere within a certain region around the planet, a fixed volume. Since temp and pressure are inversely proportional, an increase in temp of a fixed volume will lead to an increase in pressure. Given the volume of the atmosphere and the relatively small incresase in temp the increase in pressure wil be insignificant.
Now with the body of the earth, since the outer core and mantle are already are allready at the molten stage, they will already be in an expanded state. If it were to increase in volume pressure would build up till it was released, ie a volcano or the spreading of a mid oceanic ridge.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Another one :

5.1 2007/09/28 16:02:23 -21.654 169.250 35.0 SOUTHEAST OF THE LOYALTY ISLANDS

This one is reported as 35km deep right now.

Also saw 3 recent small quakes in the California area today, check out USGS for more.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Something similar happened last year around the Aleutian Islands off of Alaska - don't recall it being of this magnitude though.

Over 50 Earthquakes in 24 Hours

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthWithin

SUPER !! Thanks for pointing that thread out TW, once this episode calms down we have some excellent references to draw from.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   
It's normal activity for the "ring of fire", you just happend to notice it. There is nothing new about earthquakes and volcanoes going off in the west pacific and eastern indian ocean areas.
I do know that somewhere in the southwest pacific there is a volcanic seamount that has been growing like gangbusters. I'm not sure where it is , but I read that in this area, during wwII, the seafloor was several hundred feet down. And now the new island is just starting to break the surface.I'll try to did up the article, and pin down the location.
But I believe we are headed to a magnetic field polarity shift, it has already started to flip in areas of the south pacific/ indian oceans. The procces that causes it might be foretold by a worldwide rise is seismic activity.
I read a really good paper, by a group of scientists that explains how the flip could happen.
First, the inner core is not iron, but uranium and is solid and it rotates . The decay of the uranium provides the heat to keep the outer core and mantle molten. Around it is a molten outer core comprised of iron/nickle/silicon. It rotates the opposite direction. This difference in rotation of the inner and outer cores creates the earths electrical field. Moving hot metals create electrical fields. These electrical fields inturn cause the magnetic field to form.
In the boundry between the inner and outer core the uranium has an affinity for the silicon and forms uranium silicide. It essentially forms a solid shell of uranuim silicide around the inner core. As this shell builds up thickness it traps in the heat of the inner core and pressure inside the shell rises. Uranium silicide is NON MAGNETIC, as the thickness of the shell increases the magnetic field strength decreases to the point to where it will collapse. Now the uranium silicide shell will build up to the point to where it can no longer withstand the internal pressure it collapses. It essentially goes from a solid state and just dis-associates itself, it dissloves back into uranuim and silicon in an instant. Then the magnetic field reforms with full strenght but reversed polarity. Their computer sims of this proccess match up with what has been observed in the geologic record for magnetic field polarity shifts.
Anyhoo, if this theory is accurate the when the shell collapses and the internal pressure is released that should send out unbelivibly massive shock waves throught the planet as whole.Causing earthquakes volcanoes and the like. Maybe theses events are what is resposible for some of the earths past bouts of intense volcanism.
Not just volcanoes going off but the really big events, like the lava fields in russia, hundreds of thousands of sq miles and thousands of feet thick, there are also lava fields like that in california, not quit as big.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by punkinworks
I do know that somewhere in the southwest pacific there is a volcanic seamount that has been growing like gangbusters. I'm not sure where it is , but I read that in this area, during wwII, the seafloor was several hundred feet down. And now the new island is just starting to break the surface.I'll try to did up the article, and pin down the location.

I saw a show on Krakatoa and it's eruption, now there is a new one they call Anak Krakatoa which has been building out of the ocean, this could be the one you were thinking about I believe it has grown 300-400ft in a relatively short period of time.

It is at the south end of Sumatra and off the North end of Java.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
Another one :

5.1 2007/09/28 16:02:23 -21.654 169.250 35.0 SOUTHEAST OF THE LOYALTY ISLANDS

This one is reported as 35km deep right now.

Also saw 3 recent small quakes in the California area today, check out USGS for more.

What was the location of the cali quakes?
I was sitting at my desk working when last large quake at Parkfield happend.
Parkfield is about 100 miles away, i think it was in the 6ish reqion of the richter scale.
I was sitting with my legs about 2 ft apart flat footed on the floor and with what i was working on my hands were on my desk a couple of feet apart.
I felt the wave moving through the ground from my rightfoot/hand to my left foot/hand. I havfe been in a lot of quakes bu that was the first time i actually felt the wave pass not just a jolt or shaking. During the Coalinga quake of '83 a 7+ you could see the waves moving down the street and we are 90 miles away.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   
here are the 3 small ones I was referring to:

2.7 2007/09/28 16:25:19 34.007 -118.471 12.2 GREATER LOS ANGELES AREA, CALIFORNIA

2.5 2007/09/28 15:17:45 37.870 -122.248 10.9 SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA, CALIFORNIA

3.2 2007/09/28 14:20:04 37.323 -119.985 13.1 CENTRAL CALIFORNIA

hope this helps....

edit:sp

[edit on 2007/9/28 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by punkinworks

I saw a show on Krakatoa and it's eruption, now there is a new one they call Anak Krakatoa which has been building out of the ocean, this could be the one you were thinking about I believe it has grown 300-400ft in a relatively short period of time.

It is at the south end of Sumatra and off the North end of Java.

Nope it not krakatua, its east/southeast of aus/new guinia. Its outside the shipping lanes. I remeber reading that the last time anyone was out there previously was during wwII. While monitoring their submarine detection network, an operator kept hearing what sounded like bubbles, consistently coming from the same direction. At first they though is was fish boils, but it was constant. Then sombody else noticed a rise in water surface temp from a satellite, in the same region. The navy sent out a research ship in the mid '90's and they founfd that a whole "mountain range" was pushing through the surface, it was miles longs and the volcanoes were relaesing gas and boiling the sea water causing the bubling sounds heard on the hydrophones.

The eruption of Krakatua in 532 ad was one of the watershed events in human history. Before that eruption Java and Sumatra were one island.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

right on thnks

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks

Thanks for the info, I hadn't heard of that activity before, it sure looks like the next phase in the earth's evolution.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   
They are saying the 7.4 and the 6.6 quakes that hit the Mariana Island's today caused false seismic activity in California.

www.iris.edu...

[edit on 28-9-2007 by observe50]

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Emergency and Disaster alert Map.

In Flash format really cool looking.

World Disaster Map

[edit on 28-9-2007 by Realtruth]

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   
isn't 5.0 pretty small ?

I was at the museum of naturlalhistory in NYC, and they had a very eye opening display on seismic activity. EQ's happen literally everyday.

you would think with the tsunami fresh in everyones mind, if this was even remotely significant, it would be picked up

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 02:34 AM
link   
No wonder I was feeling so sick today?

Am I the only one that gets extremely dizzy and naseous before a major earthquake strikes?

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by dznetworks
No wonder I was feeling so sick today?

Am I the only one that gets extremely dizzy and naseous before a major earthquake strikes?

Noway! I used to get so sick and nauseated, even days after a quake, I'd vomit. Everytime there was a shake or aftershock

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
isn't 5.0 pretty small ?

For a look at earthquake intensity and Abbreviated Modified Mercalli Intensity Scale:

USGS

5.0 - 5.9 ricther = VI - VII mercali
6.0 - 6.9 richter = VII - IX mercali

From mercali scale:

VI. Felt by all, many frightened. Some heavy furniture moved; a few instances of fallen plaster. Damage slight.

VII. Damage negligible in buildings of good design and construction; slight to moderate in well-built ordinary structures; considerable damage in poorly built or badly designed structures; some chimneys broken.

VIII. Damage slight in specially designed structures; considerable damage in ordinary substantial buildings with partial collapse. Damage great in poorly built structures. Fall of chimneys, factory stacks, columns, monuments, walls. Heavy furniture overturned.

IX. Damage considerable in specially designed structures; well-designed frame structures thrown out of plumb. Damage great in substantial buildings, with partial collapse. Buildings shifted off foundations.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   

here are the 3 small ones I was referring to:

2.7 2007/09/28 16:25:19 34.007 -118.471 12.2 GREATER LOS ANGELES AREA, CALIFORNIA

2.5 2007/09/28 15:17:45 37.870 -122.248 10.9 SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA, CALIFORNIA

3.2 2007/09/28 14:20:04 37.323 -119.985 13.1 CENTRAL CALIFORNIA

hope this helps....

edit:sp

[edit on 2007/9/28 by JacKatMtn]

I know exactly where the quake in central cal, it was in the local paper today, I ride my motorcyle throught the area all the time. Pretty rare for one of those faults to have any activity. There have been a few quakes on this side(western) of the sierra nevada mtns. Usually any seismic activity around here is centered in Mammoth mtn area, about 90 miles east as a bird flys.
It always sketches me out when it starts shaking over there, it is the site of one of the largest volcanic explosions ever. When it last erupted it blew away a 14-17,000' tall mountain and left a hole in the moutain range, Long Valley, 19 miles long and 10-12 miles across. The lava flowed a hundred miles to the San Joaquin valley , and was a couple of hundred feet thick in places. It hasnt erupted for 750,00 years, there is all kinds of activity going on over there, like the floor of Long Valley has a bulge that has been growing for the last 30 years, there are places in the forest where the concentrations of hydrogen sulfide are so great it is killing trees and has killed a couple of people. It rumbles and shakes all the time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join