It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why forums are watched ....

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2002 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Mod's also participate BT. Have I ever deleted your posts just because your ideology is flawed, of course not. LOL. I think we do a good job of living and let live.

posted on Nov, 29 2002 @ 02:45 PM
link   
That's what I'm saying. It's like the Augusta Golf Club in here ( American Joke!)
My ideology is something you look up to, though I didn't know I had one!
Maybe I do need to look at other topics. There are non-Anglo, non-male, non-Christian mods there?

posted on Nov, 29 2002 @ 02:50 PM
link   
That's because I've never seen a copy of Eves' birth certificate

But seriously,I think computer literacy plays a big part in being able to do the job well.
Recently I had to asked NC how to put an image up with my posts he helped me without any qualms when he could have ribbed me for it.
I joined this site so I could post my views but also so that I could learn from NC and others(generally but not always mods and admin)
In fact,ironically,the only reason I'm able to put that map up as a retort to NC is because of him.(He probably regrets it now)

posted on Nov, 29 2002 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I think Estragon is fairly liberal.Though I don't think he'd admit it.

posted on Nov, 29 2002 @ 03:03 PM
link   
They're helpful folks, no doubt.
But, given that participation is part of the perks, it's my opinion that a clique is counter productive to quality, going forward. Not for anyone to change their opinions; discovery will happen through interaction or not. Just put someone else from another camp up on the same level of 'delete & direction' and I'll think the gumbo will be more flavorful.
And NOT me if you think that's what my comments are about!

posted on Nov, 29 2002 @ 03:10 PM
link   
OK Bout Time,If you're saying there is a bias toward the right I would have to agree with you.But I don't see many left of centre that could do the job.

posted on Nov, 29 2002 @ 03:24 PM
link   
But you are right there is a bias.

posted on Nov, 29 2002 @ 03:34 PM
link   
John you don't have to defend my views, I am happy taking flack for what I think is true.

BT, mods have personalities we are not just automons taking care of posts. If you think that the diversity of viewpoints is to small then post something controversial and take part in debate.

Don't be a whiner...

posted on Nov, 29 2002 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a bias - or just a majority of those that lean towards one side
? And in reality - it's just me and TC that lean to the right that are mods that participate in political related topics here.

posted on Nov, 30 2002 @ 08:08 AM
link   
But I guess I'm gonna have to wait a few million years. And what is it with the left and right thing? I thought that an intellectual group of people would see beyond such steriotypes.

posted on Nov, 30 2002 @ 08:58 AM
link   
..prepare the tar and feathers, marshall the Cossacks, soak the horsewhip in brine and make the girls take the veil!
With a small "l", I fear not; but in the tradition of Fox, with a capital "L' and thinking of such as Russell, Palmerston and Gladstone and with John Stuart Mill's definition: of a Liberal as "one who looks forward for his principles of government; [ whereas] a Tory looks backward" in mind, I might have to instruct my large team of highly-paid lawyers to consider a "guilty" plea, my Dear J-B.

posted on Nov, 30 2002 @ 09:41 AM
link   
in this day and age, I rather fear you'll have to favour us with a posting that is the verbal equivalent of a very precise chart, before we can even begin to know where "centre" might now be- if anywhere?
Only then could we choose the set of mirrors we'll gaze into in order to determine which ways are "left" and "right".

posted on Nov, 30 2002 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Interesting how one's beliefs and views come into play. While it is totally permissable and politically correct for people to make inaccurate and inane comments about my particular belief, for me to explain my belief or what is said in the Bible is the height of insanity. Those ignorant of my faith should be able to spew nonsense with impunity. I should keep quiet.

Those who disagree with my point of view should be able to rant on and on, for example, about the poor "Palestinians" having their "territory" stolen from them. When I bring in the historical facts of who are the real Palestinians, to whom the "disputed territory" actually belongs and how this conflict actually started, I'm labeled a right-winger with an agenda and told I should hush.

I haven't noticed any of the mods being abusive of their power or authority (except one, but he has been stripped of powers), but have attempted to maintain order and respectability on the board, and assist others whenever needed. That is what it is all about, not making some religious/political click. There are moderators that are very much to the left of Bob and I, but they aren't the ones you seem to notice as your heartburn isn't with them.

I'm sorry, but I don't see the cheese that would give the whine some substance. Is it that you think that by being mods our voices are heard louder, therefore we are more right, or is it that you think in that by being mods, we have the ability to edit your posts and make you look stupid, or is it that in being mods, you think we should not enter into debates and let you run the show? How is it that Simon or the other admins can make you happy?
[Edited on 30-11-2002 by Thomas Crowne]

[Edited on 30-11-2002 by Thomas Crowne]

posted on Nov, 30 2002 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Four lucid and apposite (as ever) questions, Thomas.
I am sure I am not alone in awaiting answers, the relevance, tolerance, sobriety and perspicuity of which will enable all mods to redouble their efforts towards making the Board a better place for posters who share that desire.

posted on Nov, 30 2002 @ 02:03 PM
link   
No whine, just an observation. I have not been privy to anyone's abuse of designated privilege nor did I even attempt to link to such a notion. There has never been any heartburn: I don't take the exchanges for more than what they are - a lively pub conversation ( sometimes with you too deep in your cups, it seems!).
I have always welcomed the opposite point of view - I'm curious and it's a true wonderment to see the thought process of others who are so polar on some subjects and so common to me on others, I believe that to be the common reason anyone who is intellectual honest engages in this medium.
But to bring the discussion back to my original point, it's about presenting a diversified environment. The stewardship of the site that you are all charged with is separate from your interaction as posters. But, the setting of the tone and atmosphere is not possible to separate. Mod/Admins having a consistent & single P.O.V. in the forums sets a tone; it's unavoidable. I repeat, there is nothing wrong with that, you just need others at the level to give a more even kilter. And as I said, it's in the forums I frequent so I don't know of the diversity you mention, just the lack of political diversity in the aforementioned forums.
I don't think it's lost on any of you that to have a site's brain trust so entrenched in one camp gives that site less diversity of new blood. I would love to see the site move forward with some of the fringe opinions from other groups, kind of THE place to go to see the hot & heavy intelligent debate bringing in all factions.

posted on Nov, 30 2002 @ 03:40 PM
link   
...actually, not ALL Mods are male, nor are ALL Mods white...and our own opinions DO range from 'Easy-going-hey-whatever-its-all-good' to 'damn-it-shoot-them-all-now'...

...never liked Gumbo anyway...too spicey...gives me gas

Peace,
ALIEN

posted on Nov, 30 2002 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Just because we don't all believe what you do doesn't mean we are not diverse, mods just function better in higher order thinking

Anyway we are very diverse, we have...

1 woman with bizzare religious beliefs (senior associate not mod)
1 ethnic minority with severe alcohol problems (an australian, how good is that at getting minority support?)
1 Person who has an intimate relationship with their liver
1 mad maori
1 laid back duchie
1 person who believes the earth is hollow and often appears to reside on another planet
1 erudite sinophile(?)
2 beer obsessed right wingers.

Gosh! I am the most 'normal' one there!

[Edited on 30-11-2002 by Netchicken]

posted on Nov, 30 2002 @ 06:45 PM
link   
...now come & share that high order thought in the war/poli forums. I probably share much perspective with the 'fringe' you mentioned; I just don't discuss too much of my personal life online. The one tidbit I'll divulge is that I was almost possessed once........scared the beejeebus out of me!
And Netchicken....have I told you lately that a good gorilla gif is one of the signs of a well adjusted person? Maybe you're on to something.

posted on Nov, 30 2002 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Splendid points from B-T; but Game Set & M to Net-Chick on that list: if that's not a "dream-team" -what is?

( answers must be fewer than thirty words. Contestants must complete the following in no more than ten words: 'Australia represents the pinnacle of human achievement because..." No purchase necessary.

posted on Nov, 30 2002 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Almost posessed? I think rthe encounter was much closer than your conscious mind is aware. (Smile, B-T, it's a joke [I hope!])

And further more, N-C, I am neither beer-obsessed or a right-winger. The only time I am mindful of beer is when the fridge contains no more, and as I am 100% correct on all matters, i can be neither right or left winged!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join