It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pictures of huge entrance in Utah mountain

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I first witnessed this "entrance" from a road where I had stopped to let my dog out to do her business. I originally thought I was seeing things.

What I saw was a huge entrance to a mountainside that appeared large enough for a semi-truck, to enter easily. What is especially intreresting is it seems to be "covered-up" by a tree in front of the entrance. Anyway it is located behind a large corporation that extracts gasses and refines compressed air of different types. Or at least that is what I have been told. Point being, It seemed really big.

Well I had no camera with me so I asked people in the area if they had seen it. Remarkably, absolutely nobody had any idea what I was talking about. Well, this was enough of a reason for me to get my camera and make a trip out there to snap off a few shots of what appears to be a large entrance into the side of a mountainside that nobody has any info about.

I hope that with the variety of intelligent individuals from different walks of life here on ATS, I would have much better chances of finding out what it actually is. Used to be used for. Or is currently.

Here are the coordinates of the location on Flash Earth:

www.flashearth.com...

Here are the pictures I took with my Camera:

i151.photobucket.com...

Here is one with the mile Marker if anyone is local:

i151.photobucket.com...

And one last picture at a different angle:

i151.photobucket.com...

I would be really interested in finding out exactly what this is. I hope I am not seeing something here that is obviously mundane, although it wouldn't be the first time. Another thing that has sparked my interest in this area even more, is that there is currently a project where developers are building an underground containment facility of some sort to the North east of this particular location. Like an underground air bubble type tennis court dome. For those that know what those look like. It's use is unknown by me. The construction of the facility is almost done and I will try my best to get pictures of it if possible. I'm sure I can. I just sometimes get a little freaked out putting my nose into business where others think it doesn't belong. I'm not sure who is doing the construction. It could be Praxair or even Kennecott copper which is also in near proximity but it is very immense looking and I thought it a little interesting that it is being built underground. When I drove by on a side road, workers were actually laying turf over it with desert plants already growing in the dirt as if to cover it up, or at the very least make it look like nothing was there. Maybe to detract from an environmental impact study? Needless to say I had no business parking there and gawking, so I moved on. But that's a whole other story.

If I could just figure out what this particular "opening" is, if that is in fact what it is. That would make me more than happy. If anyone has any ideas of info on the opening in the side of the mountain it would be greatly appreciated.

[edit on 1-6-2007 by theutahbigfoothunter]

mod edit to prevent page skewing.

mod edit: Please read this link-ATTN: Image Size Guidelines

[edit on 1-6-2007 by sanctum]

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Well it does seem to be some kind of man-made entrance.But if thats supposed to be camoflaged its been done pretty poorly!Could just be an underground storage facility like you said.Just not hidden well.

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Utah was that as close as you could get to it? Any way to get a pic directly looking in at the entrance?

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Good point. I wish I could have gone right up to what appears to be the entrance. Unfortuneately it is all private property, or at least seems to be by the restricted access and fencing. I am pretty sure I could get in if I had to, but rather not ruffle feathers. You do have a point though. That would be the best way to find out.

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   
From the Flash Earth site it appears as if there is some shale that is at the entrance of the "opening". If it is in fact an opening, it appears that the shale could be remains from excavation. There is also a clearing there at the entrance which appears to be a clearing for vehicles of some sort. If this is in fact an opening into the side of a mountain, this is all easily explained. If not, I am very interested in knowing what in the world this is exactly. Any information or theories that could lend information to the area or the actual site?

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   
How far from the road would you say it is? I am trying to gauge how big the hole is... at first it looked head height, then i saw, what appears to be powerlines in the bottom of your pic... leading me to believe that the "hole" is alot further away and far larger than i thought lol...

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   
It looks like the smooth wall in the foreground could be artificial. I'm having trouble determining exactly where it is on flashearth, but I notice a grouping of buildings a little ways up the highway.

If it were me, I would determine whether or not to investigate close up based on what those buildings are. [edit]I see now you mentioned what they are.[edit] I'm hoping you'll take a chance and get some close-ups for us.

[edit on 1-6-2007 by yuefo]

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 07:59 PM
link   
you should try checking it out sometime, mabye go at dawn with a couple of friends or something. There could be animals there at night so that might not be a good idea. It could be a big find though!

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   
It is very far away. And if it is in fact an opening it is HUGE. It's kind of mindblowing really. The powerlines do give a pretty good idea of the depth perception. If it is as big as it appears, it honestly looks like you could fly a small or midsized plane into it. It is that large. And, does not appear to be an optical illusion. This is why I am so fascinated by it. Any ideas what it could be?

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Do you happen to know the name of the nearby corporation?

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Actually, there are two large corporations nearby. One is called Praxair and they compress N02, and the other is Kennecott copper.

[edit on 1-6-2007 by theutahbigfoothunter]

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Is this out in the Bingham area near Kennecott?

What town is this near? What mnt range ect?
It might be something the LDS Church is doing...................they are into building under gound storage facilitys, and hiding them.............

[edit on 1-6-2007 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Hi Goddess. It is just west of both Kennecott copper and the N02 Praxair plant. What is really interesting is that from Flash Earth and Google Earth it appears to be way way up the hill and not even remotely attached to either facility. Whats more, it is right along the mountain ridge up and to the left of 201 towards tooele, about 2.0 miles prior to hitting the turn off for Tooele/Stansbury. Amazingly, I know a lot of people who live in Tooele and absolutely nobody has even noticed this darn thing. And, its massive! Makes me wonder what the heck is wrong with me noticing all this weird stuff! Kinda funny really.

I wish I had a picture of the freakin' Huge underground project just east of this, that is being completed as we speak. If I am not able to get a picture of it before it is completed, nobody will ever believe it is even there. I am just getting off work right now and might be able to get over there and maybe get a few shots of it. It is amazing. I am going to log off, clock out here, and run over and see if they have completed it. Hopefully not. I hate to go Goddess, but I will log back on as soon as I get home, which should be in about an hour or so. I am just running to beat the sun and the progress they are making. Talk to you soon as I can!

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Well at first I thought it might be one of those sand housing areas they put off the side of the freeway for keeping sand at for winter use. Often they have large parking lots for equipment; plows, trucks etc. adjacent to them.

However I then noticed the oil equipment down and to the left of the hole and realized that hole was much larger and farther from the freeway than I had first imagined. My guess would be an old mine shaft entrance but if that thing is truly a hole its pretty frickin big.

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Topography

please looke closely at the pictures

the " enterance " is on one side of a spur - there is a reverse slope which falls away sharply

for the " shaft " to go underground its gradient would be > 45 degree

IMHO - there is no room for any " truck sized " enterance at that point

secondly - look at the scree below the " entreance " - there is no where for a road way or other access to approach the " entereance "

for more info on what is there - look @ a topo map and / or ask the local caving / mountaineering clubs and mines authorities

heck - even ask the PR dept of the company whoes land it falls on - you said it was fenced in .

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I'm going to go out on a limb here but.........

Isn't that one of those things you find in the side of mountains.....you know a.......hhhmmm [sctatching head]......a.......cave

Yes thats it......a cave........

Till you go up to it and take conclusive pictures of the 'secret entrance' I'm afraid the only conclusion that can be drawn is that it is a cave!

MR

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 04:57 AM
link   
And a copper mine nearby?
Exploration tunnels to take samples ??

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Well that's super interesting.
Now, I'm not saying go ahead and trespass, but now I'm really curious as to what's down there.
Good find.

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Marlborough Red
I'm going to go out on a limb here but.........
. . .
Yes thats it......a cave........

Haha, my thoughts exactly.
There are many caves with artificial entrances, and modified interiors (think about tours inside caves, those walkways with the rubbery floor mats/ metal bridges / stairs, they don't just get shaped out of nothing you know).

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Looks like a cave to me, there isnt a single thing to suggest otherwise, no sign of a road, no sign of anything man made.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join