It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism is the Worst Sin

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreatTech
I have only posted so much recently on atheism because atheists oddly tend to now dominate the Faith, Spirituality & Theology forum.

it's only because we actually have arguments to present. if christians dominated this forum it would just be the same infighting that's been seen among christians whenever they're given a forum for discussion of their beliefs or a crapload of back-patting.

Any offer of help is rejected and often horribly criticized.

conversion isn't help

[quote[
I believe that atheists risk their lives and much more importantly their Souls.

alright, from your point of view i can understand the soul part... but how the hell am i risking my life?

They tend to have a shotgun sensitivity and consider atheism as an intellectual achievement.

well, that could be the fact that many atheists rid themselves of the burden of religion through investigating a vast amount of scientific knowledge... which we then have to bring up whenever christians challenge our lack of belief.

The unfortunate thing is that many atheists fail to see the big picture.

again with the claiming of absolute truth and knowing of the big picture

Richard Dawkins should have written a book called "The Atheists' Delusion."

why are we deluded?

Do you believe that atheism served the USSR well?

see darkside's comment on this for my reaction.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I'm not an atheist, as I do believe in a god... however, I hardly think not believing in god is a sin. God gave us all the free will to do with it and our lives as we please. You can choose to worship him/her/it, or choose to ignore him/her/it, or choose not to believe in him/her/it. That's the beauty of free choice.

I don't think the lack of belief in god is going to cause atheists their downfall. In my experience with atheists, they usually have good hearts and are charitable, in some cases more than those with religion. They believe in life having consequences, and as all ascendant beings, they are ingrained with a moral stance and code. Just cause you don't believe in hell doesn't mean you will do whatever you like and think you can get away scottfree... even within the laws, its silly to think so. Everything in life has consequences... and believing or not believing in god doesn't change that.

I read somewhere once that there is no point talking about god with others.. Those who believe already, don't need to hear it, and those who don't believe won't listen to you anyway.

Course in my opinion, in the grand scheme of things... it doesn't really matter. When it comes to the afterlife (which i believe in.... you don't have to), we all answer for things that happened in our lives... not in the lives of others. I doubt god will say to an atheist.. "You lived a good and wholesome life but since you didn't believe in me, your going to hell." That's not the forgiving god I was raised to think of.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   
The Winged Wombat, you seem to follow me from thread to thread to make personal attacks on me. I have never been personally attacked as much by anyone in my entire life. Does this make you happy?

Please do not question anybody's talents or skills.

You need more love in your life. I will continue to pray for you.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I completely agree

I also feel sorry for them. I've tried to convince them other wise.

But my own brother is one. He was let down by many priest as a kid. Sometimes I wonder if he's really an aethist or just really
at god.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   
One of the major strengths of human beings is the ability to recognize and respect (even if not accepting) the beliefs of others. We can look at things in the subjunctive and discuss them as such. For example, "if cars had never been invented, would we walk or use bicycles?" While this may seem to be a simplistic topic, we can discuss it rationally.

I notice that the non-theists and some of the theists are willing to discuss the situation in the subjunctive, that is, as if the position of the other person were correct. However, some of the extremely rigid theists are unable to even conceive of any possibility of there not being a god, and are unwilling to even think about the situation that the non-theists postulate. It seems beyond their capability to use a sentence that begins, "If you are right that there is no god, then that means . . . ."

For example, the title of this thread is "Atheism is the Worst Sin." Some sects of Christians feel it's just a mistake, not a sin. Atheists are certain that it's not a sin. However, when I try to respond to the statement, there is no discussion, just a reiteration of their initial assertion.

Possibly, we should have two varieties of threads. One for discussion, and the second that would be locked immediately after the first post because the author feels "God said it, I believe it, and it's stupid to waste time even discussing it." Unfortunately, most (not all) of the theists in this thread seem to see it as falling into the second variety.

Occam

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Great Tech...

I'm assuming that you are familiar with the Holy Bible? Familiar with a lot of texts and even if you can't quite get the 'actual' scriptures, you are familiar with 'paraphrasing'?

I paraphrase this:

"NO ONE may come unto the LORD lest the LORD calls him".

Now if you can find that particular text, or anyone else for the matter - greatly appreciated.

What this phrase means to me is this:

We can project our thoughts, push forward our words; to the point of exasperation, but how are we to suppose that our LORD has called forth the very individual that we preach to? The LORD will bring about in one's spirit, that which the LORD desires. If it is HIS will that certain people will come to hear HIS word, then so be it.

HIS will/thoughts are NOT of us.

How dare WE suppose HIS will?

"Plant your seeds upon fertile grounds, that they may spring forth HIS wisdom and beauty.

Are we fighting for HIS glory...or for our own?

[edit on 17-5-2007 by TheDuckster]

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Atheism the worst sin!? SO you're saying He disapproves of Us more then he disapproves of Murderers and Rapists? Sounds like a Twisted Megalomaniac.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Atheism the worst sin!? SO you're saying He disapproves of Us more then he disapproves of Murderers and Rapists? Sounds like a Twisted Megalomaniac.

Read my above post.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Forgive me, I didn't read this entire thread, but....

Matthew 22:36-37

Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'

So God (Jesus) is telling us that loving God is the most important commandment to keep. Knowing this one can assume that if a person hears the word of God (Bible) and doesn't accept or love him, God would consider this a great sin.

Blessings....

To be perfectly honest I wouldn't assume to know exactly how God will judge his creation but the Bible is a dang good guide.

[edit on 5/17/2007 by kinglizard]

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Atheism the worst sin!? SO you're saying He disapproves of Us more then he disapproves of Murderers and Rapists?

I don't think you could "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind" (Matthew 22:36-37) and murder/rape one of his children.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
Forgive me, I didn't read this entire thread, but....

Matthew 22:36-37

Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'

So God (Jesus) is telling us that loving God is the most important commandment to keep. Knowing this one can assume that if a person hears the word of God (Bible) and doesn't accept or love him, God would consider this a great sin.

Blessings....

To be perfectly honest I wouldn't assume to know exactly how God will judge his creation but the Bible is a dang good guide.

[edit on 5/17/2007 by kinglizard]

Kinglizard my friend?

YES, our LORD said those words.

However, for anyone to say that the greatest sin lies with Atheists is not true.

Remember what I typed previously?

We can preach all that we want to those who we think might need the 'WORD', yet, it will be 'pearls onto swines'.

Let it be known: I'm NOT EVER ever stipulating that Atheists are swine!

WHAT I'm comparing to: Wisdom from believers should never be thrown about in disarray, as to fall upon the feet of those who would 'slough off' this knowledge and not use it for the betterment of their inner spirtual growth.

There will be those that want to hear, and those who don't.

For those who don't care to hear - we are instructed to 'carry on'- Deliver the message elsewhere. To those who are 'accepting' of this.

We shouldn't make a strong-hold of opinion, unless requested by the LORD to do so.

In other words: Do NOT force feed our opinions, down the throats of un-believers.

Spread the WORD and move on.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDuckster
"NO ONE may come unto the LORD lest the LORD calls him".

Are you thinking of John 14:6 (Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.)?

Where can I find your quote in the bible?

btw- nobody if forcing anything on anyone.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   
kinglizard, the passage you gave us would actually imply that the worst sin would be someone knowing that there is your specific deity in existence and then actively fighting that deity, not someone reading the bible and coming to the conclusion that it's crock.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I thought the worst sin was hubris.

Or was that only for the Greek pantheon?

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
kinglizard, the passage you gave us would actually imply that the worst sin would be someone knowing that there is your specific deity in existence and then actively fighting that deity, not someone reading the bible and coming to the conclusion that it's crock.

For the record, WHICH passages are you referring to within Kinglizards quote(s), and WHAT are they in reference to?

Thankyou kindly

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 07:28 PM
link   
TheDuckster,

I wouldn't explain anything to him...that's where the "casting of pearls" come into play.

btw- did you miss my question posted above?

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   

TheDuckster,

I wouldn't explain anything to him...that's where the "casting of pearls" come into play.

btw- did you miss my question posted above?

I didn't miss it Kinglizard.

Not at all.

I'm anxious to the responses.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 07:47 PM
link   
So were you thinking of John 14:6? If not where can I find your quote?

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   

So were you thinking of John 14:6? If not where can I find your quote?

Were you asking this of myself in particular?

The LORD is my savior!

I had paraphrased: NO ONE can come unto the father LEST the father call him so.

I know this is part of scripture: was wondering the 'exact' quote from the bible.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   
GreatTech,

I think everyone has the right to question anyone else's talents and skills or do you just vote for a politician because they are a politician, or buy a song because it is sung by someone who professes to be a singer? - what a rediculous statement for you, or anyone, to make.

Okay, I accept that you are unable to see how ineffectual you are. You must think you are the next Billy Graham or something, but just pointing out that others do not see the same, they see someone bashing their head up against a brick wall just for the sake of it. Your choice, your pain.

After all that, would you like to comment on the news item concerning the Hong Kong complaints about the Bible and the attempt to have it declared an obscene publication - or would you just like to ignore it like you do anything that doesn't support your case, as usual.

The Winged Wombat

[edit on 17/5/07 by The Winged Wombat]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join