It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.4 Earthquake in Kent

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Wow,sizable quakes in the UK must be quite rare. There wouldnt be any earthquake building codes would there? Ha,forgive my ignorance of the UK,but as you can see in my location,we are used to quakes
5.0 quakes will catch your attention.

To a previous poster,an explosion and and earthquake feel rather different.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I felt the 2002 earthquake but didnt feel nothing of this one

I predicted an earthquake about a month ago to happen in the uk, strange (it was one of them fun predictions, im not psychic)

QUAKES IN THE UK
December 2006 - Dumfries and Galloway (magnitude 3.5)
September 2002 - Dudley, West Midlands (5.0)
October 2001 - Melton Mowbray (4.1)
September 2000 - Warwick (4.2)
April 1990 - Bishop's Castle, Shropshire (5.1)
July 1984 - Nefyn, north Wales (5.4)
June 1931 - in North Sea near Great Yarmouth (6.1)

Courtesy bbc news

[edit on 28/4/07 by eagle32]

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by deaman88

Earthquakes are usually silent, save for the mad panic and debris falling on your head.

[edit on 28-4-2007 by deaman88]

I don't know what kind of earthquakes you've been hearing, but I live an California and let me tell you; they are loud. You can hear them coming, it sounds like a very deep rumble coming out of the Earth. You can also see them, but only if you're very lucky

I had no Idea England ever experienced Earthquakes, I'm glad it wasn't a big one.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Well,

no aftershocks

its been a fun day in Canterbury and for the rest of Kent
plenty of things to talk about now.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Yeah crazy stuff, didnt feel a thing in sunny tunbridge wells! heard it on the radio at work, was hoping someone had succesfully razed the medway towns to the ground. no such luck......

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheSilentProtagonist
Yeah crazy stuff, didnt feel a thing in sunny tunbridge wells! heard it on the radio at work, was hoping someone had succesfully razed the medway towns to the ground. no such luck......

LMFAO

Medway ain't that bad mate

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by masterofpuppets

I don't know what kind of earthquakes you've been hearing

Thats just my point I ain't never 'heard' an earthquake! I think it may be because I was not near the epicenter or something.

I mean I saw my TV stand swaying, and I felt a churnin' in me guts, but no, never 'heard' anything, I think there were like 6 or 7 in a year, and the only 1 I felt was like a 7.X on the R scale.

[edit on 28-4-2007 by deaman88]

(staff edit "quote" format)

[edit on 29-4-2007 by pantha]

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   
David Icke was Right !!!

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Down here in New Zealand we get half a dozen of those each year. Good fun. Gets your pulse racing. Australia calls our country "the shakey isles." Like Californians etc you just learn to live with them because you can't live in fear, but what does concern me is that you live in old brick houses. Now that is scary!

As for Thanet not feeling it, the quake was fairley shallow so the pulse wave would not have reached the Thames estury and shock waves would not have been felt so close.

Other things like faultlines can block transmission. Last year we had quite big quake in the northern part of our South Island. In Wellington it could not be felt because of faults transecting Cook Strait.

Explosions are big noisey concussions and then you get hit with one jolt.

With an earthquake you sometimes hear a very low frequency rumble or rattling sound and then you get big lurches where everything sways. The swaying will go on often for many seconds. It's actually safer when they go on for a time because that means energy is releasing gradually and not suddenly.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Ya, you can hear them coming.The weirdest ones are the "rolling quakes". They come from deep underground,and sort of feels like a ocean wave passing under you.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Well,

no aftershocks

its been a fun day in Canterbury and for the rest of Kent
plenty of things to talk about now.

Still on the roof but the wife says I must come down now as we've got people coming for lunch.

BTW, thanks to everyone who posted maps and seismograph read outs. This site remained well ahead of the 'Official' news Channels in terms of quality of information throughout the day.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 05:34 AM
link   
A little up date..

-474 properties damaged by earthquake
-73 so dangerous that people cannot return
-30 more where people have been advised not to return
-64 can be returned to but work must be done within 48 hours

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I've kept a watch on your area and it seems that things have settled down. I am glad that all of you and your famillies are safe.

I check the iris map several times a day and I have noticed that there have been earthquakes mostly small 4's in many areas that never had them.

In the ring of fire along the Solomon Islands up to Sumatra around to Japan have had larger ones but I have been waiting to see if anything happens in the British Columbia area- Vancover Island. They had one or two 4 pointers but I remember reading if that area and inland had a 5.5 or larger.... areas could sink.

Please everyone be careful

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Been out all day just got in and checked IRIS seems nothing further has happened in your area thank goodness.

I noticed there has been a 6.5 in the Aleutian Islands.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   
BBC Kent and other local news have been looking around the damage. Some have got it pretty bad.

More pictures taken by the locals (sent into the BBC)

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   

BBC Kent and other local news have been looking around the damage. Some have got it pretty bad.

Doesn't look too bad, there has been worse damage from mild football riots.

But seriously, considering buildings here aren't built to withstand earthquakes, they didn't do too badly.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by apex
Doesn't look too bad, there has been worse damage from mild football riots.

But seriously, considering buildings here aren't built to withstand earthquakes, they didn't do too badly.

True,

it could of been ALOT worse.

some insurance companies may not pay out due to the event being an "Act of God"

EKKKK!!

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   

some insurance companies may not pay out due to the event being an "Act of God"

EKKKK!!

That's not entirely unsurprising, but it is pretty bad. I wonder how many thousands people may have to face paying out for essential repairs. Insurance companies are happy enough to take your money, but it's very often a different story when it comes to paying it back out.

[edit on 29/4/07 by Implosion]

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   
This is what insurance companies have said,

customers have to take pictures, which represent the damages, and each case will be taken into account. apparently this "Act of God" is "confusion" and we are all covered for earthquake due rare occurrence of them.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Not seen this linked yet (only skipped through tho)
2 Huge UFOs sighted Channel Islands 25/4/7
Its a fair way off as the crow flys but what do you think?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join