It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the speed of dark?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Satyr
...Electricity moves at it's fastest speed through the path of least resistance.
[Edited on 11-12-2003 by Satyr]

what happens in "die electricity", electricity flows though (a) the insulator, and whats the best insulator? air!

so how fast is: light v.s. die electricity?

which ever is faster?

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by William
Actually, thought travels somewhat slower than light. Thought can't occur faster than the synaps in your brain, which is slower than light.

Also, special relativity does not say something can't travel faster than light... it says a mass cannot travel at light speed (more specific, as an object accelerates to the speed of light, it's mass becomes infinite, thus requiring infinite energy to achieve light speed... impossible).

have to disagree. the chemical reactions occur after the thought as far as we know. no experiment has been done to prove otherwise. if the soul is the driver, the brain is always playing catch up. if you don't believe in the soul, than your brain is all you get and we will have to agree to disagree.
ideas exist before we have them. ideas have no mass(that has been yet measured), and are thereby not bound by the laws of physics. my thought can travel anywhere instantly(even if you build a neuro-chemical reaction time buffer), and i'm taking YOU with me. i can go to alpha centauri and back, actually, i just did(so did you). or into the heart of a black hole and out again(heavy!). now i'm in a repugnants brain, ....ewwwww.
what's a repugnant?
the fact that darkness is always everywhere there is no light, reminds me of another omnipresent one.
maybe the absolute is literally the absolute. absolute zero. the absolute omnipresence of no-thing.
maybe 'light' is the ploy of the 'dark side'. what say you, 'lightworkers'? are you doing the devil's bidding? have you been decieved?

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by jozuph
To answer the first question, What's the speed of dark? The speed of dark is the same as the speed of light

dark and light would have to be the same speed.

example.
i give you 3 golf balls.

now
give me back 4 golf balls.

speed of darkness = speed of light

i had a nice diagram but it didnt look right, all the lines got parallel

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 02:25 AM
link   
BeingWatchedByThem, it would still be nice to see that piece of art u produced :]

I learned that light are photons, the absence of photons is called darkness..

[Edited on 12-11-2003 by jozuph]

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by BeingWatchedByThem

To answer the first question, What's the speed of dark? The speed of dark is the same as the speed of light

dark and light would have to be the same speed.

example.
i give you 3 golf balls.

now
give me back 4 golf balls.

speed of darkness = speed of light

i had a nice diagram but it didnt look right, all the lines got parallel

light is a wave. darkness is the absence of the wave and has no speed. they are not equal. dark is what the 'aether' 'looks' like when there is no light waves vibrating in it. and think, you can't see light unless it reflects off of something or is beamed directly into your eyeball. therefore all that 'dark' out there, is actually full of light that we can't percieve with our obviously thick skulls.
p.s. the earth IS flat and light and matter bends toward the two magnetic poles so that it SEEMS like a sphere.

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 02:36 AM
link   

BeingWatchedByThem, it would still be nice to see that piece of art u produced :]

ok but if it dont work dont get all antsy.

flashlight ----> =o

light segment---> -

**IDEA!**(added this time)

space (darkness) ----> .

**End**
i turn the flashlight on long enough for three dashes to be sent outward.

=o---

time passes

=o.---

more time

=o..---

one more time

=o...---

now...
if light would be faster than darkness,

the last one might have looked like this:

=o...----

and because if light was faster, it would gradually speed up to create another length.

which is very obviously impossible, read the points below for more sanity.

Another stern point on why:

speed of Darkness = speed of Light

look around, does one light bulb light up the whole world?

if light was faster, the whole world would be soo bright we'd all be blind.

and on the flip side.

if darkness was faster, we'd all be in a world of darkness.

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by billybob

light is a wave. darkness is the absence of the wave and has no speed. they are not equal. dark is what the 'aether' 'looks' like when there is no light waves vibrating in it. and think, you can't see light unless it reflects off of something or is beamed directly into your eyeball. therefore all that 'dark' out there, is actually full of light that we can't percieve with our obviously thick skulls.
p.s. the earth IS flat and light and matter bends toward the two magnetic poles so that it SEEMS like a sphere.

interesting.....hmmm......

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 02:40 AM
link   

...the earth IS flat and light and matter bends toward the two magnetic poles so that it SEEMS like a sphere.

have you ever flown in an airplane?

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by BeingWatchedByThem

...the earth IS flat and light and matter bends toward the two magnetic poles so that it SEEMS like a sphere.

have you ever flown in an airplane?

i've experienced this illusion, yes.
p.s. i don't really think the world is flat. or a sphere. it's merely an idea.

[Edited on 12-11-2003 by billybob]

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 03:05 AM
link   
BeingWatchedByThem thx for that, looks nice and the outcome is nice also hehe. Light can be decribed as a wave and as a photon, no photon no light..i can also 'see' light that doesnt fall directly in my eyeball, like when u close your eyes with strenght, u can see 'light'

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 03:08 AM
link   

i can also 'see' light that doesnt fall directly in my eyeball, like when u close your eyes with strenght, u can see 'light'

that's pretty 'directly in your eyeball' if you ask me.

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 03:28 AM
link   
billybob its indeed in my eyeball, but its not falling into it since they are closed :]

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 03:56 AM
link   
That has nothing to do with light though joe
Thats more to do with the pressure stimulating your optic nerve methinks, it works better if you press lightly on your closed eyelids.

As far as the light overtaking the darkness as mentioned a little higher up. The light is travelling through the darkness, the darkness isnt going anywhere.

[Edited on 12-11-2003 by Kano]

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 05:14 AM
link   
You can't measure dark because it doesn't move. Actually it doesn't exist. It's how you're brain perceives the absense of light. When you look at something the light is reflected off of it and depending on the makeup of what you're looking at the light comes back in different colors. This is why a baseball is white, ect. The less light is reflected, the darker it is. Take away all light and it is black. Colors are the way our brains perceive reflected light. Do they really exist? They do for us, but most animals see in shades of grey or other methods. If darkness did exist then a black hole would capture not only light, but dark.

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 05:24 AM
link   
true but still, the darkness disappears when light comes in, and it disappears at the same speeds as the light kicks in and vice versa

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Where would it go? Since dark is the perception of the absense of light, when there is light, you're brain wouldn't perceive dark anymore.

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 05:51 AM
link   
well then its gone

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 08:36 AM
link   
First thing is to define the specific details of what is being examined so we're all using the same definitions and understanding the same concepts. The following attributes and paramaters will be used:
Light-
1. Energy measured in Various Amounts & Range of Frequency.
2. Depending upon method used when measured, can be viewed as "Particle" or "Wave". Think of "Particle=Absolute or Defined" & "Wave=Potential or Ranged".
3. Individual units of Light-Energy are called "Photons".
4. The Full Spectrum of Light-Energy in Frequency, Lowest to Highest being: Radio-Microwave-Infared-Visible-Ultraviolet-XRay-GammaRay.
5. Light move through a vacuum at maximum speed, 300,000 kilometers per second or 186,000 miles per second.
6. Light waves slow down when they travel inside substances, such as air, water, glass, etc.

So by using the above properties for Light and Defining Dark as having "No Light-Energy" some answers can be made with Highly Reliable Accuracy. Not including other variables such as "Dark Matter" or something similar, measuring the Speed of "Dark" or "Light" would essentially be the same. The speed at which "Light" changed in value would be the same speed at which "Dark" would change in opposite value within the measured area. That speed would of course vary depending on location and it's limiting features if not in a Total Vacuum.

Link for info on Light:
science.howstuffworks.com...

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
Seapeople: obviously you havn't read about hte experiment they did that light reached it's destination faster than light travel i a vacuum. In fact light reached it's destination 300 times faster than the speed of light in a vacuum.

300 times faster than the speed of light, and 7% faster than the speed of light, and halting light to a crawl

They conducted an experiment that involved lasers, a chamber containing cold caesium atoms and a super-fast stopwatch.

The end result was a beam of light that moved at 300 times the theoretical limit for the speed of light.

Earlier this year, a team of physicists made a microwave beam travel 7% faster than light speed. Last year, they announced that they had even slowed light down to almost a crawl.

*edit*

This is what they were saying about it and why it was such a huge fuss....and got people going about time-travel.

"Scientists have seen a pulse of light emerge from a cloud of gas before it even entered.

This astonishing and baffling observation was made by researchers from the NEC Research Institute in Princeton, US.

They conducted an experiment that involved lasers, a chamber containing cold caesium atoms and a super-fast stopwatch.

The end result was a beam of light that moved at 300 times the theoretical limit for the speed of light.

It was Einstein who said nothing physical could break this barrier because, among other things, to do so would also mean travelling back in time.
"

[Edited on 10-11-2003 by DaRAGE]

Yep this is all true as I have made a post on this earlier. They have done ample experiments regarding slowing light down to 60km per hour.. and even lower to the point at which light almost "stops"

www.abovetopsecret.com...

as stated earlier by Seapeople

[Edited on 11-12-2003 by CPYKOmega]

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Cold is the opposite of hot... But heat is a temperature above absolute zero, so even 3 kelvins has heat, 0 kelvins has no heat. Dark is the opposite of light. There's nothing below no light.
An orange is tasty, what do no oranges taste like? Nothing.
Dark has no speed or mechanics.

The electrons in a particle get excited, they jump up to specific energy levels, and when they drop back down, they release energy as a photon (light). The lowest state is called the ground electron state, and can only absorb energy. They don't jump below the GES to produce 'dark'.

Dark is a nonexistence, an absence, nothing.

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join