It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kraken

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by JackofBlades

Originally posted by merka
Rather obviously the Kraken IS the biggest squid there is. If there's anything bigger than the biggest there is, we just rename that to Kraken and forget about the old one

Are you serious? We can't just change the name of something so it fits with our terms. IF there is a kraken and we find it, it is still a kraken. If we find something bigger we will give it a new name (hopefully one more imaginative than those given to squid - squid, giant squid, colossal squid).

Maybe we would call it a leviathan, or whatever.

Dont go replacin my sea dragon for a multi armed brain bird (My name for octopus/squid)

But a new name would prolly be best just to set a species then for a single kraken

Maybe they are just different sizes?

Roar!

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Ahh, Krakens. I love the name Kraken, suits it perfectly, don't you think? Like "dog" suits dogs.

The description of Kraken matches giant squid to a tee, if we are to be honest. There are other sea monsters though, those that are more giant eel like. I would not classify them as Kraken at all.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I very much doubt anything as big as in that movie exists, fishers are also known for exaggerating their catches

But the Colossal Squid is a really big mean squid for sure

news.bbc.co.uk...
news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Well judging from the Responses that narrowly define this topic, I just ask, is this not what would be considered a Kraken?

It fit's the description, of what they "maybe", as well as the aspects associated to the Lore of the Grecians?

And from my understanding, a Kraken was anything that could not be called, a Squid, or Whale and Identified as such. It is clear, from input from many, an Octopi, Squid, and Crab have been noted, and the Texts one can review, have also included Whales. Some are even offering the Leviathan.

I was never under the impression it was a SPECIFIC, and DEFINED creature. More something that was described from Fear and Suggestive Obsevations that it "resembled" this or that, (Squid or Octopus)

[But again, if I was sailing in a 70' Boat and something with tenacles and a Gaping mouth that starts to eat the Crew Members, (but some of us narrowly escaped and got to safety), I am certain, my discription, would differ from that of one of my collegues.]

As well as Scylla, her Sister (Charybdis), was described much like those Large Island Creatures that sucked the Vessels under in a Whirpool. [As an Aside, that common phrase, "Between a Rock, and a Hard Place" comes from these sisters.]

Just wondering if the Narrow View, is the Only One that can apply?

Ciao

Shane

[edit on 24-7-2006 by Shane]

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Ok, i'm rather confused now, is the Kraken the name of the giant squid, or the thing it does to ships? The reason i'm confused is because Kraken is also the word we (dutchmen) use for what you call 'to crack'. Therefore I thought the Kraken was the actual event of the ships being attacked...

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Hehe and a good reason to be confused.. Kraken is the creature
And Kraken is breakin a ship at the same time
Its an uneasy way of words ^_^

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 04:52 AM
link   
here you go guys i found this pic on the internet just thought id post it lol

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Ahh, The Kraken, One of the best rollercaosters I have ever rode in my life at sea world I will never forget that one

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 10:25 PM
link   
i'm pretty sure the kraken comes from a norse saga

it was an octopus so large that men stopped on it, thinking it was a small island

pretty sure it isn't real

giant squids, those are real, elusive, but real

giant octopi, not so much

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Wasnt that made by that "artist" who did the dried out mermaid and stuff, fake ftw

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 04:24 AM
link   
it wud rok if it was real but i just dont think a thing that big would go for so long without a good sighting

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Bear Man
Hehe and a good reason to be confused.. Kraken is the creature
And Kraken is breakin a ship at the same time
Its an uneasy way of words ^_^

So a Kraken goes kraken? (Sorry had to say it.)
Based on descriptions, I think it comes from sightings of Giant Squid, but this is just my personal opinion.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Think about this logically.

Let's first assume that the Kraken is a giant octopus/squid, which is what most of the legends state. Giant squids eat larger prey, some even eating whales which have tried to eat them. Old sailing ships were entirely wind-powered, meaning that there would be no engine (or otherwise) noise reverberating through the water. Viewed from below, sailing ships look quite a bit like large prey, or even a school of fish.

Old ships could have been mistakingly attacked by "sea monsters," not because the monster is malicious, but because it thought it was attacking prey.

Modern ships have large keels, and emit tons of noise pollution, which could be why no one has seen any modern-day sea monsters, assuming they exist.

Keep in mind that we really know very little about the creatures which live in the depths. I read an article a few months back about this new underwater observation device which sits dormant until something swims close enough, then it's infrared sensors trigger bright lights, video and photographic camers. The idea is to catch photos of things that would normally be scared off by the light. One of the things they got was a truly massive shadow swimming over it, but no footage of the creature that caused said shadow. Not that this prooves anything, it's just an interesting tie-in.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 04:05 PM
link   
The Kraken isn't/wasn't a squid, that's just the treatment that Pirates of the Carribean 2 gave to it, before then it has mostly uniformly been treated as a sea serpent of absolutely titanic proportions.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Ummm actually, in old pictures the Kraken has been depicted as a giant octopus/squid of sorts.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Tons of Kraken defenitions

I recall to learn in the history class the Kraken related to a nordic mythos.

I was born in Azores (Portugal) , there we have lots and lots of old fishermens with sea storys about them. from the small ones to the "kraken" ones!. the fish boats that work at night there, used to have the hull covered with a thick rubber as a protection from this squids. this animals have a horrid vision, and the big ones used to feed on azorian whales (Cachalotes in portuguese, i think it's sperm whale in english) once each 3 to 6 mounths moustly at night. For the squids, a boat when observed underwater is very similar to a whale swimming, and they used to atack the ships times to times thinking it is a waile. the tentaculats have big spikes that can harm the ships hull, and they use that thick rubber cover because of that. many old fisher mens there use one or 2 of that tentaculat spikes in a string around the neck as a "merit medal", showing that way they have survived X squid atacks.
In Ponta Delgada, Capital city of Azores, in S. Michel island, if you visit the natural history museum you will be able to see lots of info about this weird animals.
we used to eat the small(baby) ones, they have near 4 to 5 feet long and are white as a normal squid. but after they grow a little ( 10 to 14 feet), they start to be orange, and the adult ones are deep reed.
In all my live i only see one adult squid (at day light), atacking a "Cachalote when i was sited on the top of a great vulcan caldera called "Lagoa do fogo". the waile was realy far away, but i could see very well the imense red squid fighting the pour whale. Due to the squid atacks on the cachalotes, many times several "squid arms"/tentaculates, arrive at the beach and are colected for study.

diferent from the squids, we have there also very big octopus, normaly with 10 to 26 feet long. rare to see althoug.

List of all gigantic squid apearences around the world:

A especific Gigantic squid :

Real world first time fotos on a Gigantic squid by Japanese scientists:

Squid links for the "squid lovers"

Bigger animals can roam the deep seas:

I hope this can be of any help for you mates, and sorry for my bad english

[edit on 18-10-2006 by Umbra Sideralis]

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I THINK KRAKEN EXISTS,ITS A SEA SPIRIT THE LAST OF MYTHIC MONSTERS.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by RubberJohnny
The Kraken isn't/wasn't a squid, that's just the treatment that Pirates of the Carribean 2 gave to it, before then it has mostly uniformly been treated as a sea serpent of absolutely titanic proportions.

sigh

You do realise that the Kraken myth goes back aaaaaaaaaaaall the way to Ancient Greece right? Prolly even before that.
And in all of those it's been some kind of aquatic mollusc. Depictions vary between a giant octopus and a giant squid.

The large sea serpent is (as already stated) the Leviathan.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I've heard old tales about sailors who caught Kraken, but it was so heavey they had to drop it if they wanted to survive. Interesting cryptid.

<< 1    3 >>

join