It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comedy Central refuses to show Muhammad on South Park?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I have just watched South Park and they were susposed to show Muhammad but instead ran a black box saying " Comedy Central refuses to show a picture of Muhammad"

If this is true...........it is discusting.

I am a Christian and I have seen dozens of episodes where they have poked fun at EVERY religion?

What makes Muslims so special that only THEY are protected from being made fun of?

Or is it possible that the rabbit hole runs deeper? That this is just being used as an excuse to start stiffiling free speach? After all our Government condemed the artists in Denmark.

It is a sad day in American History if this is really true.

[edit on 12-4-2006 by Amuk]

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 10:44 PM
link   
If its true its probably out of self interest and a desire not to wind up dead in a alley somewhere. Its been show that the hardline muslims dont take kindly to this so why make yourself a target? or better yet let two attention whore cartoonists make your entire company a target? I mean correct me if I'm wrong here but isint it the perrogative(sp?) of the station to decide what is aired (as long as its within the bounds of the FCC's decency regulation)?

As for a reason why the Muslims get special treatment its as I stated above, Christians and other groups havent started offing people yet who make parodies of Jesus, but if they did start such actions you can bet that people would think twice about such things.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I think you're missing the even worse part of the episode. While they chose to black out Muhammed, they decided to SHOW Jesus Christ being deficated on! They also showed him deficating on others!

Is that not pure hypocracy? They even stated that the image of Muhammed was harmless, and only depicted him handing a football helmet (I believe with ham on it) to a character at his front door, who was dressed in a toga. So according to Comedy Central, that is offensive... but Jesus Christ pooping on and being pooped on isn't.

What a double standard, and yet another example of Christians (and Christ) being pooped on! Pun-intended!

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 10:55 PM
link   
So we are just susposed to role over and confirm to the wishes of anyone who decides they will throw a fit like a spoiled child if they are in the least offended buy what we say?

Since when has the TV shows in America have to pass the inspection of someone from another country?

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 10:56 PM
link   
It's all about the Benjamins$$$

They just don't want a million crybabies boycotting their station.

[edit on 12/4/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13
I think you're missing the even worse part of the episode.

Believe it or not...........that didnt come close to bothering me as much as the fact that only ONE religion in the world cant be made fun of and the fact that our TV programing is being determined buy people in another country.

My God created the universe.......he will survive some idiots making fun of him

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Greg Sheffield's blog and Southpark video

ImNotBlue Says:
April 7, 2006 - 03:41
The South Park fan that I am, I must correct you... They already have shown Mohammed, in episode #68: "The Super Best Friends", which originally aired July 4, 2001.

I think, in a way (like someone in the blog said) Southpark is making fun of Islam and FOX by blocking out Muhammad.

If I were a betting man, I would bet that Southpark will show Muhammad's face very soon.....

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

Originally posted by Rasputin13
I think you're missing the even worse part of the episode.

Believe it or not...........that didnt come close to bothering me as much as the fact that only ONE religion in the world cant be made fun of and the fact that our TV programing is being determined buy people in another country.

My God created the universe.......he will survive some idiots making fun of him

I agree with you, but I think the icing on the cake- and something Trey Parker and Matt Stone (writers/creaters of South Park) intended to show- was the HYPOCRACY of Comedy Central executives and other politically correct people display.

I think if Comedy Central is going to allow one or more of their programs to offend people, then it should be equal-opportunity offending. No one person, nor group, should be excluded out of fear of retaliation, boycotts, or just plain offense of others.

If Jesus Christ can be mocked, then Muhammed is fair game... for that matter, so is Buddah and everyone else!

I really wasn't as much offended at the actual act of Jesus pooping and being pooped on- as I was the clear hypocracy of it. Something which was certainly intended to show. I agree that its just a joke and no harm can really come of it. But the same should go for Mohammed as well.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB
Greg Sheffield's blog and Southpark video

ImNotBlue Says:
April 7, 2006 - 03:41
The South Park fan that I am, I must correct you... They already have shown Mohammed, in episode #68: "The Super Best Friends", which originally aired July 4, 2001.

I think, in a way (like someone in the blog said) Southpark is making fun of Islam and FOX by blocking out Muhammad.

If I were a betting man, I would bet that Southpark will show Muhammad's face very soon.....

This was from the week before....it was in two parts.

The last sentence in the article that said they were daring CC to present the image. It looks like CC blinked.

I really hope this was just a joke, I have been to the CC web site and cant find anything to confirm or deny it.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Well, this episode made me laugh, as do most SP episodes. Let's face it, Matt and Trey and the Mike Tysons of comedy. Every time, it's a knockout.

Sure it childish and filled with poo and fart jokes, but life itself is full of poo and farts, so what's the problem? I can see how that element of their show turns people off, but they've probably got issues with poo or whatever. My opinion of course.

In the episode in question, it was Al Quaeda that made their own animated show with Jesus (a cut-out picture of Jesus) flinging poo along with lots of other cut out images. It was supposed to be what Al Quaeda would think of as funny. The scene in question wasn't even realistic. It was a bunch of cut-outs with little brown dots supposed to be "poo". It was completely over the top. I mean the little poo-dots are flying sideways! It's supposed to be stupid because Al Quaeda is stupid.

Honestly the humor in SP works on so many levels, that lots of people don't get it. They see a cartoon and they think, "What the hell is this?"

In fact, the whole point of the episode was to:

A: Mock "Family Guy" for being a joke-after-joke-after-joke show with no plot (which it is).

B: Create a script where Mohammed is innocently shown, as in this episode (m'med knocks on the door and simply hands a football helmet to a Family Guy character)

C: To show the hypocrisy of Comedy Central because CC would not show the aforementioned harmless scene of M'med. (Matt and Trey enjoy exposing hypocrisy more than anything, it seems)

..So you see? They wanted to write an episode where M'med would appear in a totally benign way, and then show that their own network is too cowardly to show it. They were making fun of Fox, The Simpsons, Famliy Guy, Comedy Central and Al Qaeada ALL IN ONE EPISODE!

Come on Amuk. Didn't you laugh once? Not even at the fight between Cartman and Kyle? I can't see how people don't like South Park. It's hilarious.

[edit on 12-4-2006 by smallpeeps]

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by smallpeeps
Come on Amuk. Didn't you laugh once? Not even at the fight between Cartman and Kyle? I can't see how people don't like South Park. It's hilarious.
[edit on 12-4-2006 by smallpeeps]

I loved the episode

My problem was with the cowards at CC who were too lame to show the image.

Obviously Trey and Matt had a problem with them too

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 12:19 AM
link   
South park is reknown for playing off of current events. Like the episode w/ micheal jackson, the whole napster play off, they even did a pretty funny episode making fun of the whole obession of the passion of the christ.

My favorite part of the episode was when everyone was terrorized over the thought of muslim outrage invading america that they started to shove their heads in the sand. Made me think of bush's war on terror and how everyone around me seems to be oblivious to whats actually going on and has their head in the sand.

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nathabeanz
South park is reknown for playing off of current events. Like the episode w/ micheal jackson, the whole napster play off, they even did a pretty funny episode making fun of the whole obession of the passion of the christ.

My favorite part of the episode was when everyone was terrorized over the thought of muslim outrage invading america that they started to shove their heads in the sand. Made me think of bush's war on terror and how everyone around me seems to be oblivious to whats actually going on and has their head in the sand.

I think what they were trying to say, has nothing to do with bush

people burrying their head in the sand is a metaphor for people not wanting to see the hypocrisy of the liberal "please dont step on any muslim toes, but to hell with any other religion, we arent afraid of them"

I dont think the writers lean toward either the left or the right, but they do a good job of exposing the ridiculus Political Correct thinking.

Just like they did the episode on the arrogance and self-diluted nature of liberals with the hybrid car episode.

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I totally agree, they should be made fun off just like any other. What about when they made fun off joseph smith of the Morman Faith??? that was clasic. haha i heard that Tom Cruise had the sceintology episode along with the episode of him 'in the closet' banned in some country lol

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan

people burrying their head in the sand is a metaphor for people not wanting to see the hypocrisy of the liberal "please dont step on any muslim toes, but to hell with any other religion, we arent afraid of them"

so the Bush admin is a bunch of liberals?

After all THEY and the REPUBLICAN congress condemed the cartoons in Denmark.

And before you come back with Clinton, Kerry, or whoever did this or that....I am a Libertarain...I think BOTH parties are lying crooks

[edit on 13-4-2006 by Amuk]

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I love south park, comedy central on the other hand is pretty crappy most their shows suck.

Don't they refuse to show the Tom Cruise wont come out of the closet episode anymoere?

and isaac hayes wtfman

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 12:51 AM
link   

I loved the episode

My problem was with the cowards at CC who were too lame to show the image.

Obviously Trey and Matt had a problem with them too

Good, I figured you for the sort who'd appreciate good humor.

And yes, you are correct in that it is total lameness on the part of Comedy Central to not show the scene in question.

Frankly, they are safe because too few Muslims get Comedy Central anyway! It's not like a newspaper either where they can photocopy a drawing or whatever. In order to be outraged by South Park, one must get cable or at least own a VCR which pretty much disqualifies the crowds who'd riot for Mohammed.

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan

so the Bush admin is a bunch of liberals?

After all THEY and the REPUBLICAN congress condemed the cartoons in Denmark.

And before you come back with Clinton, Kerry, or whoever did this or that....I am a Libertarain...I think BOTH parties are lying crooks

[edit on 13-4-2006 by Amuk]

they are, and no, after all the republicans are waging a war on radical islam and sometimes its hard to distinguish between radical islam and islam itself.

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Bottom line...
If they did that they would be risking their lives and the lives of their families.
Comedy Central doesnt want that attention either...

I'm sure Jesus is happy that people are focusing on such important issues instead of promoting peace and his message etc.

[edit on 4/13/2006 by theBLESSINGofVISION]

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by theBLESSINGofVISION
I'm sure Jesus is happy that people are focusing on such important issues instead of promoting peace and his message etc.

This isnt about Jesus, if it was I would have posted it in the Religion forum. Its about freedom of speach and having the backbone to use it. I guess next we wont be able to show them rioting because that might upset someone. Better not say anything bad about Kim Jong after all he might throw a fit and he HAS nukes.

I guess to be safe we shouldnt mention any religion, country, person, company, etc, on TV.

We can just have warm and fuzzy bunnies and puppies on the air 24/7.

OHHH wait.....that might make PETA mad.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join