It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Centipede

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
You can really purchase such insects if you want, My friend owns two of the most deadly scorpions.

www.ajexotics.com...

There really not even that expensive

I don't know if you can actually get a scolopendra Gigantea...I think there might be export bans from the countries where they live. A local-ish breeder would be able to supply one I expect. Do they succesfully breed in captivity I wonder. Can you imagine two of them things having a bit of 'how's yer father'??

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   
It's worth examining why any species of this world would be that repellant to anyone - considering we are meant to have evolved from DNA here so it'd surely be a normal thing to us?

Very interesting how many people there are with aversions to things like insects and spiders. And other animals. And then somehow it's different when a large insect eats whatever it eats compared to us chopping up animals to eat them.....

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by KhieuSamphan

I don't know if you can actually get a scolopendra Gigantea...I think there might be export bans from the countries where they live. A local-ish breeder would be able to supply one I expect. Do they succesfully breed in captivity I wonder. Can you imagine two of them things having a bit of 'how's yer father'??

You can still get them in the US (dont know about other countries), it seems Recent changes in the Peruvian export laws may effect scolopendra gigantea robusta supplies but theres still other places to get them.

www.goldenphoenixexotica.com...

Interesting enough the scientific correct name for the species known as Scolopendra gigantea robusta has been redefined because its wasnt a true subspecies. So there really is no such thing as a Scolopendra gigantea robusta its just a 'Scolopendra'

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Interesting enough the scientific correct name for the species known as Scolopendra gigantea robusta has been redefined because its wasnt a true subspecies. So there really is no such thing as a Scolopendra gigantea robusta its just a 'Scolopendra'

Yeah, I see that. There seems to be a bit of confusion as to what this fella really is. I have seen some people saying it could be a 'Galapagos-type'. I read somewhere on the net that there are, apparently, centipedes 16-18in long on the Galapagos Islands, but that seems to be unconfirmed.

Most people would probably call one of them either 'Get that thing away from me' or 'Aaaargh'!

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 04:26 PM
link   
16-18in long on the Galapagos Islands
man thats crazy never heard about that before. I guess theres good odds thats theres still types of centipedes out there not yet formally discovered.

I know I wouldn't be shocked if they found a few new species in the Amazon, when talking about bugs theres a huge amount we still dont know about those regions.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 02:01 PM
link   
*Lights pipe bomb* Where is it?
Seriously, that bug is freaky. I would so... shoot it if I got the chance.
Wow. I'm still kinda freaked about it. I'll be sure to check under my bed tonight.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I've shown everyone I know that video, and i only get one response.

AAAAAAAAAAAAArg!!!!

Except for one guy, but I wouldn't worry about that guy.

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Erm, that was pretty damn disturbing
'

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Dude, you can't stomp on that! You have to shot it to death!

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Damn, I hate that bug, and especcially the guy who owns it. How can you even look at such a cute little mouse being eaten

I have gerbils from about the same size and I would never let them come anywhere near centipede.

I know that to do when I see that beast(centipede). I'd chop it's head off with a giant axe and then set the rest of it on fire, offcourse make some footage of that for all the other centipede haters on this forum

I think it's logical that most of us defend the mouse. It's a mammal, and so are we!

Mammal Pride!!!

[edit on 18-7-2006 by NoSuchAgency]

edited example of censor circumvention

[edit on 18-7-2006 by masqua]

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Omg I feel so bad for the rodent. Mainly cuz I have two pet rats but that thing was huge and now I'm officially scared of bugs!

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I think I'd like having this bug...as long as I didnt touch it.
I'd let it sleep with my enemies.....

Scolopendra gigantea, commonly identified as the ‘Peruvian giant yellowleg centipede’ or ‘Amazonian giant centipede’, is the world's largest representative of scolopendras, regularly reaching lengths of 26 cm (10 inches) and can exceed 30 cm (12 inches). The species inhabits the North and West regions of South America and the islands of Trinidad and Jamaica. It is carnivorous, feeding on lizards, frogs, birds, mice and even bats.

The body consists of 21-23 segments which are coppery red or maroon in color, each with a pair of yellow-tinted legs; the legs are adapted for fast walking (even running) and for grasping prey tightly before killing it.

The centipede has modified claws called forcipules which curve around its head and can deliver venom into its prey. The venom, containing acetylcholine, histamine, and serotonin, is toxic to humans and causes a local sharp pain (similar to a hornet sting), severe swelling, chills, fever, and weakness.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 12:19 PM
link   
They have those in deep south Texas as well, I killed two personally while working in constuction sites. The biggest I saw was 8 inches....and low and behold, there were alot of bats in the area. The worst part was how bad they stink when you kill them.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I'm glad I saw that, I really feel that is something everyone should see, I'm also glad it's 4 mins long, I cant keep this up, I wanna throw up, I skipped most of it, that is realy freaky, I've seeen the usual 1-2 inch cenetepedes in england but i'm never gonna look at them the same way again, I feel for the rat.
Imagine that crawled in your house one night and started crawling under you bed sheets on your body eewwwww.

[edit on 28-9-2006 by chris01621]

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Forget crawling under your bedsheets, imagine a 2 meter long 50 centemeter wide one of those wandering free around your neighborhood.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 11:09 PM
link   
insects are so amazing to me, i find it a truly interesting topic (even though they can really gross me out). The discussion actually reminded me of this video, which I looked through and didn't see anyone else post (if they did, sorry for the repost).

anyways, its an amazing clip and i definately reccomend watching it
bat eating centipede

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by bamboo is murder
anyways, its an amazing clip and i definately reccomend watching it
bat eating centipede

Nice one bamboo.
. I was wondering if this was online somewhere. I think this clip is from the BBC 'Life In The Undergrowth' series.

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Geez! I love snakes and lizards but this centipede is just too blooming awful for words!!

Referring to the Galapagos version which is said to be between 17 and 25 inches in length. The photo is very unclear and just shows a black centipede so I didn't think it was worth posting!

[edit on 29-9-2006 by LovingSoul]

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Thats not that big check this out

maps.google.com...,10.205451&spn=0.002404,0.006738&om=1

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 05:58 AM
link   
What the heck is up with that?

Either that roach has been edited in there or there really is a giant cockroach crawling around Germany.

I think I am gonna go with it's been edited in.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join