It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mutant fish

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
avv

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 06:42 AM
link   
What is this?

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 08:01 AM
link   
It's always difficult to tell or even guess what an image or animal is without any sort of background. And as usual there is also no point of reference in the picture, so from the little bit of the fishing rod we see in the pic, we can only make a wild guess about the size of the fish.
As in many other cases the source of the weird picture is a foreign site posted by someone who took it the past weekend.

Now, if we could get this translated:
"Klikkaamalla kuvaa voit tarkastella sitä täysikokoisena" (German/Swedish/Danish???) we'll be heading a direction.

Until we get some more clues, I'll put my money on catfish mutation. Interesting find, none-the-less!

avv

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf

Now, if we could get this translated:
"Klikkaamalla kuvaa voit tarkastella sitä täysikokoisena" (German/Swedish/Danish???) we'll be heading a direction.

ROFL! This means that you can enlarge the picture by clicking on it.

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by avv
ROFL! This means that you can enlarge the picture by clicking on it.

Hehehehe! Now that was of no help whatsoever... LoL...
Anything else you could tell us about what's on the site or what the site is about... Or any info for that matter?

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 09:04 AM
link   
looks like it might be a poor man's lobster.

monkfish.

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Yeah, the picture at the top has come up when I am searching for monkfish/anglerfish before. Another name is also Angelfish. I've seen the exact picture before on an english site, but I can't seem to find it again.

Somehow it doesn't seem right though. It's a deepsea fish, and this picture seems to have been taken on a lake (can tell by the water), in a small bass fishing boat, probably 17-19' (can tell by the railing). The mouth seems a bit blurred.... perhaps evidence of photoshopping, or am I just paranoid?

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I don't think that pic was doctored. I found another pic of that fish in the first post that was half rotted. nasty thing. It might be some kind of deep sea angler as well.

With regards to the idea that the boat was on a lake, let me say that while I would tend to agree that a smaller boat would not often venture too far out, you don't know where that picture was taken. off the coast of cabo you can fish in deep (hundreds of feet deep) water only a few miles off shore.

Also, I have been 100 miles off the coast of Long Island, fishing for tuna and I have experienced still, flat water. I can upload a picture of a school of dolphin making the only waves seen for miles.

Lastly, with boats today you can take a 24 foot boat to that 100 mile mark in a few hours drive. My boat (24) can make the trip to the canyons in about 2 and a half hours. I wouldn't do it but it is built for that kind of fishing and that kind of travel.

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 03:56 PM
link   
The first thing that popped into my head was a monkfish, but that for no apparent reason, I burst out laughing at it. I have no idea why.

Anyway, not a mutant by any means, just weird lookin'.

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Hi

It's a monkfish. Common(ish) around the British Isles.

www.marathonjourney.org...

Scroll halfway down and you can see the same picture - looks like it was the original one. The first website link looks like it's in Finnish to me. I'll see what else I can dig up.

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Bit complicated this, but here goes - seems like Angel Sharks - genus squatinadae - are also called Monkfish, even in Britain, but this fish is, I think the Monkfish that's a type of Anglerfish - Lophius piscatorius. It is also called Poor Mans' Lobster! Looks like you're right crakeur ;-) ( Never heard that name before though ) Seems like they're not necessarily deep sea either as they come into shallower water quite often as well, and can be caught quite close inshore. These links should tell the story better than I can!

www.sams.ac.uk...

www.janeandrichard.co.uk...

eattheseasons.co.uk...

Oh, and they do taste nice as well

[edit on 20-3-2006 by maldives01]crap speeling

[edit on 20-3-2006 by maldives01]

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   
called poor man's lobster because it is actually a junk fish and the meat is tough like a lobster tail. They charge alot for it in restaurants, like they do with skate, and they are a dime a dozen fish.

I catch tiny ones from time to time

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Quite expensive in England as well - maybe it's a different species to yours over there as ours taste quite nice - or maybe all our other fish taste so bad that this one just seems nice........

crap grammer and speeling

[edit on 20-3-2006 by maldives01]

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
it's one of those fish that comes up in the nets in large numbers that they would normally toss overboard. someone decided to call it a delicacy and viola, expensive fish.

skate is the same thing. we get them all the time. we toss em back and cringe at the idea of someone eating that nasty thing.

no different than any of the other "strange" foods.

brains? liver? snails? all junk that someone decided to raise the price on and make it seem like a luxury.

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Oh, what a horrid looking creature. I'd rather eat the fish with the human face:

I'd have to cover its face though.

Then there's this fish:

I'd pass on this one as well. He's dead anyways.

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Abe's not dead yet.

Funny thing, ever since Conan started doing those bits with him, it became a source of fame for Abe. Anyway, I produced a broadway show a few years back and the stars of the show invited him to opening night and I'm sitting in my seat waiting for the show to start and I'm scanning the crowd looking for friends and family and I turn around and Abe is sitting right behind me. I nudge my wife and whisper "Abe Vigoda is sitting behind us" to which she shrugged as if to say "who cares, he's not really famous>"

Abe Vigoda leaned forward and said "I'm still alive but I might keel over mid show so the sighting might wind up being really special"

After the show we started talking and he was really nice and funny and when I asked if we could take a picture with he he said no. I said I understood. He said "no, you don't. you see, when you tell your friends you saw me and I'm not dead, they will not believe that you saw me and without photos you won't be able to prove I'm alive either"

He's funny as hell

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 06:22 PM
link   
He's not dead? hmmm.. i remember hearing he was. Oh well, good for him.

Darn, Crackeur, i've been involved in community theater productions all my adult life. I met his sidekick on fish (the guy with the glasses) at an airport in NY years ago.

Sorry- didnt mean to hijack the fish thread.

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 06:37 PM
link   
www.abevigoda.com

updates daily to confirm his making it to the next day

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I still don't feel that the Monkfish completely explains what the original picture was. I think people are looking at the picture Crakeur posted instead of the original.

Monkfish have BIG mouths. In the original picture, it looks like it has more like a sucker. The first one also looks much shinier, like it has a mucus coating. Even pictures of freshly caught monkfish don't have this.

As for monkfish, I hear it does taste like lobster, but it smells up your entire house when you cook it. I work in seafood and it doesn't look that nice either. It's like a big tube of white meat, but it has all these gross vein-like purple and green and blue things running all through it.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 08:19 AM
link   
It looks to me, that it's some kind of a Grouper. But then its body is different. Look at the lips, they look like that of a grouper. Or it could be a stonefish...

www.fishesnpets.net...

members.tripod.com...

www.aboututila.com...

Actually, I think it's a Monkfish

Hmm...other than that, I really don't know.

[edit on 21-3-2006 by whitelightwolf]

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 03:17 AM
link   
It's a lumpfish.
www.thejump.net...

The reason the water looks like a lake is because, well, that's how seawater looks this far up north. Particularly in the coves and inlets of the Alaska coast.

<<   2 >>

join