It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does extraterrestrial life exist?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Just a little poll to see what people here think. Remember this is not about whether it visits earth or not.

A. No -> there is no life elsewhere
B. Yes -> but only micro-organisms
C. Yes -> including animal-like intelligences
D. Yes -> including advanced civilisations

Results:

Some explanations of the terms used:
*micro-organisms: small microbes only visible through microscope, often single celled
*animal-like intelligences: beings that have intelligences similar to animals here on earth(excluding humans)
*advanced civilisations: civilisations similar or more advanced than ours was when it started

So what do u think?

[edit on 25-9-2005 by plop]

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I just want to add that animals are intelligent , just that we don`t always "see" it

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Yes they are, thats why i put it as "animal-like intelligences".
I hope this prevents a discussion about what "intelligent" means, because theres no real answer to that.

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Theres suppose to be more stars in the universe than grains of sand on every beach on earth. Don't know we can be considered the only ones out there.....

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I'm having a very interesting discussion about this on my PODcast thread/PODthread "UFOs & Aliens" ... we're having some questions and opinions ... I recommend you guys check it out and if you have a mic, great, a reply wouldn't hurt

As for if life exists "out there" ... well, it's really hard to imagine that we are the only lifeforms on a planet ... I mean, there are so - many - stars ... it's really hard to say that there is no life other than our own because we have barely scratched the surface of space travel ... we have no idea what's "out there" yet until we venture ourselves.

Anyways, that's what I think and ... hopefully in my PODthreat we have more replies and opinions, so far ... I'm liking the discussion I'm having with the members in it ... especially, SkepticOverlord, who is ... well, skeptic ... go figure.

Alright, I'm out, be well.

[edit on 25-9-2005 by Zeta_101]

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I voted D because i think:

-life is no accident
-the mechanism that allows life is part of the natural laws in the universe
-if life exists, the theory of evolution would apply to it
-evolution seems to result in intelligent species

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Life seems to be too perfect for some people. A big debate right now is the idea of ID. Intelligent Design, meaning that we evolved to a certain point, but had a little nudge in order to follow the right path of evolution.

It's a bit of a weird mix, because it is a blend of creationism and darwinism.

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   
If M theory is correct theres pretty much a 100% chance intelligent life exist outside of Earth.

For people that dont know M theory infers the existence of a Multiverse, possible a infinte number of other universes.

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I think the truth often lies somewhere in the middle. With evolution i think consciousness is capable of steering it.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I voted D, of course...

I can't understand how people could believe that there is no life at all in the Universe...

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I see 4 people voted no and i would like to know why they think no life exists elsewhere.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   
It would be interesting to know how many of the "No life at all!" voters voted like they do, because of religion...

And to stur things up a bit, what do you guys define as life?

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I cant there is ppl out there that still believe there is no possible chance to be life outside Earth.

[edit on 28/9/05 by Krpano]

[edit on 28/9/05 by Krpano]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I posted A but thought it was for D so A should actually be 6 not 7.
Damn it.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I am still looking for intelligent life on Earth....

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Here's why I voted No life to the question Does extraterrestrial life exist?

Because I believe in God and I believe in the Bible. Anybody who wants to find out the answers to origins should go to the book that was written by God, the Great Originator Himself.

The Bible starts at the beginning and describes how God created the universe.

1.It says the FIRST THING HE MADE WAS THE EARTH. That means we aren't just one insignificant planet in a universe of galaxies and planets and stars. We are in fact the center of the universe. In fact, if you look through a telescope in any direction from Planet Earth you will see an equal thickness of stars in whatever direction you look -- indicating that we are in fact at the center of the universe. Atheists answer this phenomena by saying there IS NO CENTER BECAUSE EVERYTHING IS THE CENTER BECAUSE THE UNIVERSE IS INFINITE. Well, I can conceive of the concept of an infinite God, but I can't conceive of matter creating itself out of nothing infinitely.

2. The Bible says the sun, moon and stars weren't created until the fourth day and that they were put there for signs, seasons, to give light upon the earth, and to declare the glory of God. The firmament separating heaven and earth was created the second day, the third day God divided the dry land from the water and made the plants and grass. It wasn't until the fourth day that God made the sun, moon and stars. And the way the Bible describes the stars, they were put in the firmament to give light to the earth. (this tells me the stars are not as far away as NASA and its virtual reality Hubble pictures would leald us to believe).

So go ahead and laugh your butts off at me for believing the Bible over NASA. But I know I'm right.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   

should go to the book that was written by God

God didn't write the bible you Nut job.

The Bible starts at the beginning

does it really, the begining huh? so that was before god right?

It says the FIRST THING HE MADE WAS THE EARTH

ok, I'm no architect or structual engenier but I would of made somthing to put the earth in first like a box or a universe,

why did he make thoes usless planets like mercury n pluto? was he stoned?

you will see an equal thickness of stars in whatever direction you look -- indicating that we are in fact at the center of the universe

WTF? please explain...If you can't explain then you can't make the claim.

The Bible says the sun, moon and stars weren't created until the fourth day

ok, your messed up in the head. God didn't make the sun until the forth day? ....WTF do you think days are? you can't have a day without the sun.
so thats wrong.

And the way the Bible describes the stars, they were put in the firmament to give light to the earth

Oh man, ROTFLMAO, some one should change the light bulbs, coz they don't light up #. S. H . I .T. appart from the sun, so why create all thoes other ones? huh? why create 15billion light years of usless crap when the only jucy stufff it here?
Man than God Guy sounds like a real A S S hole.

face it GOD as described in the bible is Nonsence, Dribble And Lies.

go ahead n laugh you know i'm right,

How does your post prove where the omny ones ,where in the bible does it say he couldn't be assed making other life? maybe he made some others after he "wrote" the bible.

can you not see what a load of rubbish it is?
I know your entitled to your opinion, and i respect that but please see the light for your own sake.

[edit on 30-9-2005 by TrentReznor]

[edit on 30-9-2005 by TrentReznor]

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Trentreznor -- To explain what I meant by my statement about the telescopes seeing an equal thickness of stars no matter what direction we point it to , that this proves we're at the center -- here's why.

If we were located at the edge of the universe and looked through the telescope aiming it through the closer edge, the stars would appear farther apart, because there would be less of them.

Get it? I just assumed you'd figure that out without me having to explain myself. Sorry.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   
TrentRazor -- I was just on another thread where the moderator closed it down because of bickering and adding no facts or information. I have an opinin and I supported it by the Bible. If you don't believe the Bible, that's your choice. No need to go on and on and on about how much you don't believe the Bible. All I said was, based on what the Bible teaches, there is no life on other planets, that the earth is the center of the universe, and that the stars were put up on the fourth day, Scripture says, "to give light to the earth," and for "times and seasons."

You may think the Bible is a worthless source of truth and information. I don't. I'm entitled to my opinion.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Resistance, i dont see anything in ur bible arguments that states there is no life elsewhere in the universe.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join