It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Severe Solar Warning - will reach the Earth

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 06:50 AM
link   
AndrewTB, even though the page is in spanish, click on the video or images, to see one of the tornados and the damage of the storm.

It only talks about the tornado on the sea that did not make landfall, but the pictures are interesting.

www.antena3.com...
(This page possibly will change later and you will not be able to see this article in the future).

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Not a very good picture of another tornado, but at least you can see something.
(language is Catalán).

www.vilaweb.com...

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   
At 2.50 pm (local hour in Spain): BLACKOUT of all Tv Channels in the South of Spain.

And still no Tv channels working.

Will report when the system starts working again.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Already 50 minutes without Tv channels and time goes on.

- Only the regional channel (Canal Sur) works now, sometimes with interferences. -

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Ptolomeo you are incorrect with your assumptions in the Severe Geomagnetic research project. You keep saying that the radiation from solar flares will directly affect humans. This is incorrect as the earths magnetic field and thick atmosphere and protects us from protons and other forms of solar radiation.

Even an extreme S5 Radiation storm only affects passengers in jet airlines and not people on the ground.

S 5
Extreme

Biological: unavoidable high radiation hazard to astronauts on EVA (extra-vehicular activity); high radiation exposure to passengers and crew in commercial jets at high latitudes (approximately 100 chest x-rays) is possible.

source > www.spaceweather.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Actually the radiation from solar flares does reach Earth and leaks thru the magnetosphere and atmosphere. The largest risk is for those people that are flying, those that live at higher elevations or those that live near the poles.

Cosmic Radiation
Cosmic radiation as discussed above, upon interaction with our atmosphere produces cosmogenic radionuclides. It also is responsible for a whole body doses.

Cosmic radiation is really divided into two types, primary and secondary. Primary cosmic radiation is made up of extremely high energy particles (up to 1018 eV), and are mostly protons, with some larger particles. A large percentage of it comes from outside of our solar system and is found throughout space. Some of the primary cosmic radiation is from our sun, produced during solar flares.

Little of the primary cosmic radiation penetrates to the Earth's surface, the vast majority of it interacts with the atmosphere. When it does interact, it produces the secondary cosmic radiation, or what we actually see here on Earth. These reactions produce other lower energy radiations in the form of photons, electrons, neutrons and muons that make it to the surface.

The atmosphere and the Earth's magnetic fields also act as shields against cosmic radiation, reducing the amount that reaches the Earth's surface. With that in mind, it is easy to see that the annual dose you get from cosmic radiation depends on what altitude you are at. From cosmic radiation, the average person in the U.S. will receive a dose of 27 mrem per year and this roughly doubles every 6,000 foot increase in elevation.

Typical Cosmic Radiation Dose rates:

4 µR/hr in the Northeastern US
20 µR/hr at 15,000 feet
300 µR/hr at 55,000 feet

There is only about a 10% decrease at sea level in cosmic radiation rates when going from pole to the equator, but at 55,000 feet the decrease is 75%. This is on account of the effect of the earth's and the Sun's geomagnetic fields on the primary cosmic radiations.

Flying can add a few extra mrem to your annual dose, depending on how often you fly, how high the plane flies, and how long you are in the air.

Sun's Temper Blamed for Arctic Ozone Loss
A dramatic thinning of Earth's protective ozone layer above the Arctic last year was the result of intense upper-level winds and an extra dose of space weather, scientists said Tuesday.

Ozone, which screens out some of the Sun's harmful ultraviolet radiation, declined by up to 60 percent in the stratosphere over high northern latitudes in the spring of 2004. Officials issued a health warning earlier this year for residents of the far North.

Solar Storms Destroy Ozone, Study Reconfirms
When protons like these bombard the upper atmosphere, they break up molecules of gases like nitrogen and water vapor, and once freed, those atoms react with ozone molecules and reduce the layer.

Some other oddities:

Solar flares may beach whales
Surges of solar activity may cause whales to run aground, possibly by disrupting their internal compass, German scientists suggest.

Chaotic solar cycles modulate the incidence and severity of mental illness
This paper hypothesizes that the intensity of ultraviolet radiation (UVR) from the Sun predisposes humans to polygenic mutation fostering major mental illness (MMI) and other disorders of neurodevelopment. In addition, the variation in the intensity of this radiation acts to stress immune systems, possibly mediated by cytokines, resulting in variable clinical expressions of mental illness and autoimmune disorders.

NASA Satellite Observes Mysterious Earth Energy
Scientists using observations from NASA's Reuven Ramaty High Energy Solar Spectroscopic Imager (RHESSI) satellite detected flashes of gamma ray energy in Earth's upper atmosphere in greater detail than ever before. RHESSI is part of NASA’s Sun-Earth Connection program. It was designed to study X-rays and gamma rays from solar flares. However, RHESSI's detectors pick up gamma rays from a variety of sources.

Let's hope the magnetosphere doesn't collapse too much when the solar wind shockwaves hit.

See Earth's Magnetic Field Is Fading

Real-time Magnetosphere Simulation
www2.nict.go.jp...

P.S. Don't stay out in the sun too long or you might get a radiation burn.

[edit on 10-9-2005 by Regenmacher]

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Regenmacher couldn´t have explained it better.

I believe that everything is related, not only the planets, but also the human beings and, as consequence of this, everything affects us in some form and / or measurement

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Maybe this is a good time to revisit what is known of the solar storm of 1859, when the sunlight hitting the Earth doubled in intensity. The flare melted telegraph wires, starting many fires simultaniously.
This event was 3x more powerful that the flare which put Quebec into a power outage in 1989.
Also, this was in 1859, when we did not rely so heavely upon our electricity and virtually had no electronics dependency for our day to day living.

Maybe this is why Brown was diverted from the New Orleans area back to New York.

www.space.com...

If a flare hits earth, you can expect that cars and trucks won't run, your debit card is worthless plastic, that planes will be grounded, satellites will fall into atmosphere or jus fry and go dead, no tv, no internet, no telephone...hmmm

There is a long time lapse between when it flares on the sun and subsequentially hits earth (ie 14 hrs or more), so we'd have plenty of time to duck for deep cover.

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Ahh thanks for the detailed explanation Regenmacher. I didn't know solar radiation effected us that much. This just goes to show us how much pollution really affects the Ozone layer.

Speaking of the sun, I started remembering the sun as a child. I am only 22 years old, but back when I was a child I seem to remember the sun being dimmer and less intense, per say, then it is now. This may be a result of many factors including the hole in the ozone layer and thinning of it as well.

Because of this I am starting to believe more and more in chemtrails. Chemtrails are rumoured to be additives (aluminium particulates) put into jet fuel which would deflect one percent of the suns rays. This could in effect slow or even neutralize runaway global warming. The severe problem with chemtrails is that if they are made out aluminium particles and sprayed into the atmosphere all over the world we are in for a very serious problem as this substance is toxic and very harmful to humans. Especially if it is put into the atmosphere.

Anyways back on topic.... Can other people here give us their experiences of the sun when they were a child? Has it changed that much over little time, or is it just my imagination?

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I'm 46 yrs. old, and I believe that the sun is felt more acutely now than even 10 years ago. The rays seems to be stronger and hurt my skin quicker than ever. When I was a child, it was nothing like it is now...I played outside all of the time, got loads of sun...can't even go swimming now for more than 30 minutes or so (I don't have a tan, though, so that makes more of a difference). I've lived in TX for 15 yrs. and the summer conditions have gotten worse and worse.

And on the subject of the solar flares, I felt especially bad a few days ago when the flares were happening. I have fibromyalgia and I believe my condition was worsened by the geomagnetic forces. Some doctors believe that fibromyalgia is a disorder of the nervous system. Other doctors believe it is a muscular system disorder. I'm beginning to lean more toward the nervous system being the root of fibrymyalgia, and I believe my nervous system was effected by the solar flares. Just my opinion, tho.

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   

An ongoing series of seven major solar flares, including two on Saturday, could disrupt communications on Earth and generate colorful sky shows for people at high northern latitudes for the next several days.

For the whole story see - space.com...

The northern lights will be excellent for the next few evenings.

I can't help thinking, this is Bush's fault, just like the global warming.

Before I get flamed on this, the point I'm trying to make is that global warming is not Bush's fault. Humankind has been polluting the atmosphere for years. Besides that, I don't really buy into the fact of global warming.

Sorry if my ranting strayed to far off subject.

[edit on 11-9-2005 by simtek 22]

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by CPYKOmega
Ahh thanks for the detailed explanation Regenmacher. I didn't know solar radiation effected us that much. This just goes to show us how much pollution really affects the Ozone layer.

CPYKOmega, here's a couple more historical solar events.

Bastille Day Event
There's no cause for alarm. When a CME hits the magnetosphere -- the region around Earth controlled by our planet's magnetic field -- most of the incoming material is deflected away. If the shock wave is very strong, as this one might be, it can compress the magnetosphere and unleash a geomagnetic storm. In extreme cases, such storms can induce electric currents in the Earth that interfere with electric power transmission equipment. Satellite failures are possible, too. Geomagnetic storms can also trigger beautiful aurorae. These "Northern Lights" are usually seen at high latitudes, but they have been spotted farther south than Florida during intense disturbances. The last time this happened was April 6, 2000. science.nasa.gov...

Sun's Temper Blamed for Arctic Ozone Loss
Also an immense X28 flare November 4th 2003 caused a decline in our protective ozone layer in the Northern hemisphere by up to 60 percent
www.livescience.com...

Positive Ion Overdose Symptoms (protons):
+these are unsubstantiated observations, but I found them interesting.

Applies to the Majority of Population

•Emotionally Unstable: Boredom, Stress, Anxiety, Depression, Aggression, Greed...

•Increased migrane headaches, joint pain, repiratory problems; Asthma, Hayfever...

•Physical decrease for over 75% of the population due to adrenal exhaustion, gets worse with consecutive positive ion days.

•Excess Adrenaline release: Physical increase for less than 25% of the population, (Only the healthiest and yongest with enough adrenal reserve experiance this).

•Best Days for Stock Markets as people tend to buy. Stores to hold sales as people will buy more - greed factor.

•Worst Days for Staff Meetings (low attention spans), School tests (lower IQ scores), Driving (Road Rage increases).

•Air Quality decreases as pollution is positively charged.

•Foods of Choice: Cravings for fast food, sugar and caffine.

•Movie and T.V. choices: Action, adventure and Horror movies will be appeal to viewers.

www.sec.noaa.gov...

X-rays : Sudden Ionospheric Disturbances, SID

When the sun is active, strong solar flares can occur that will hit the Earth with hard X-rays on the sunlit side of the Earth. They will penetrate to the D-region, release electrons which will rapidly increase absorption causing a High Frequency (3-30 MHz) radio blackout. During this time Very Low Frequency (3 - 30 KHz) signals will become reflected by the D layer instead of the E layer, avoiding the signal loss through the D layer. As soon as the X-rays end, the sudden ionospheric disturbance (SID) or radio black-out ends as the electrons in the D-region recombine rapidly and signal strengths return to normal.

Protons : Polar Cap Absorption (PCA)

Associated with solar flares is a release of high-energy protons. These particles can hit the earth within 15 minutes to 2 hours of the solar flare. The protons spiral around and down the magnetic field lines of the Earth and penetrate into the atmosphere near the magnetic poles increasing the ionization of the D and E layers. PCA's typically last anywhere from about an hour to several days, with an average of around 24 to 36 hours.
en.wikipedia.org...

There's a lot of solar effects that are still largerly not understood, so basically we will be just going by observations until the modeling gets hammered out....that's how weather forecasting started too.

[edit on 11-9-2005 by Regenmacher]

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
U.S. Geological Survey, Vancouver, Washington
University of Washington, Pacific Northwest Seismograph Network, Seattle, Washington
Sunday, September 11, 2005 10:30 a.m. PDT (1730 UTC)

MOUNT ST. HELENS UPDATE

Current status is Volcano Advisory (Alert Level 2); aviation color code ORANGE: Growth of the new lava dome inside the crater of Mount St. Helens continues, accompanied by low rates of seismicity, low emissions of steam and volcanic gases, and minor production of ash. During such eruptions, changes in the level of activity can occur over days to months. The eruption could intensify suddenly or with little warning and produce explosions that cause hazardous conditions within several miles of the crater and farther downwind. Small lahars could suddenly descend the Toutle River if triggered by heavy rain or by interaction of hot rocks with snow and ice. These lahars pose a negligible hazard below the Sediment Retention Structure (SRS) but could pose a hazard along the river channel upstream.
vulcan.wr.usgs.gov...

Webcam:
www.fs.fed.us...

Seems like this solar activity is going to have a record on all kind of events... I just hope this does not happen...

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 11:28 PM
link   
... and not much happened, a TV blackout in Spain (possibly not even because of this)
Damn, I thought this was going to be like in the movie "The Core" ... ah well ...

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Besides all the extra solar activity, earthquakes, tornadoes where it is unusual, etc. Let´s wait and see... And hope nothing happens.

For further information on solar activity and events, please check our Research Project:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Earthquake activity report

10:23:07 (UTC) on Monday, September 12, 2005.
5.0 - NEAR THE NORTH COAST OF PAPUA, INDONESIA. earthquake.usgs.gov...

12:33:30 (UTC) on Monday, September 12, 2005.
5.0 - SOUTHEAST OF THE LOYALTY ISLANDS.
earthquake.usgs.gov...

20:47:47 (UTC) on Sunday, September 11, 2005.
4.7 - SOUTHEAST OF THE LOYALTY ISLANDS.
earthquake.usgs.gov...

18:31:31 (UTC) on Sunday, September 11, 2005.
5.0 - OFFSHORE BIO-BIO, CHILE.
earthquake.usgs.gov...

13:57:50 (UTC) on Monday, September 12, 2005.
5.0 - SOUTH OF THE FIJI ISLANDS.
earthquake.usgs.gov...

19:28:34 (UTC) on Sunday, September 11, 2005.
4.9 event - NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN.
earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   
A light earthquake occurred at 15:31:10 (UTC) on Monday, September 12, 2005. The magnitude 4.5 event has been located in the NEW BRITAIN REGION, PAPUA NEW GUINEA. The hypocentral depth was estimated to be 89 km (55 miles). (This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.)

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Regenmacher informed through our Researh Project about the power blackout in Los Angeles.

Heavy usage on hot days can lead to blackouts. But the weather in Los Angeles was not unsually hot Monday.
www.breitbart.com...

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Back to earthquakes activity... Has someone noticed the number of quakes we had today around magnitude 5?

A moderate earthquake occurred at 21:15:05 (UTC) on Monday, September 12, 2005. The magnitude 5.3 event has been located in the FIJI REGION. (This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.)

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Back to earthquakes close to magnitude 5.

A moderate earthquake occurred at 14:32:57 (UTC) on Tuesday, September 13, 2005. The magnitude 5.5 event has been located in the NICOBAR ISLANDS, INDIA REGION. (This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.)

earthquake.usgs.gov...

<< 1    3 >>

join