It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Banter police, aka the Stasi

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2024 @ 08:27 AM
link   
www.breitbart.com...

uk pubs would be forced to employ banter police in order to police speech within bars and restaurants in order to control speech and subject matter so as no one is ever offended.

Holy mother of god, it’s so distinctly dystopian. This is actual 1984.

Literally the government posted Stasi in your local establishments keeping his boot on your neck as your trying to just have a pint.
I was always of the impression that watering holes were for people of all sorts. All walks all ideas. A place where sometimes people clash but usually people find the common ground. Discussion and discourse in discussion specifically is what leads to growth and change.

edit on 14-10-2024 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2024 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Athetos
The Soviet Union-you remember them,they were our enemy- had political officers in many walks of life to make sure the public were ideologically pure.

Those found not to be pure were carted off to the gulag to be starved and worked to death.

Of course Britain would never do such a thing.
Or jail people for saying mean things.
It would never do that.

Right?

posted on Oct, 14 2024 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Bit of an exaggeration, but still a worrying concern about our new authoritarian government.

The proposal is not specifically about legislation for pubs, but employment law, and the duty of care of employers to protect employees from abuse.

This would mean enforcement/penalties where an employer is aware of abusive words or behaviour to an employee, but allows the customer to continue.

It's not gonna be any different really, treat bar staff like #, you can expect a beating off 'bouncers' and getting kicked out.

What worries me here though, is leftist activists choosing a pub to target, claim 'offence' about any inappropriate behaviour they find, then use a planted employee to screw thousands of £'s from suing the pub landlord.

It IS a worrying creep, creep, creep, towards Orwell's 1984 under our Dear Leader Starmer!😱

posted on Oct, 14 2024 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Stories like this are why you only got a light ribbing for not getting my sarcasm in the other thread.

employers would be held responsible for their employees being offended by “third parties” like their customers or the general public.

Lol

Interesting what barkeeps will be liable for versus what a pharmaceutical company is liable for, eh?

The WEF puppets know what side their bread is buttered on -excuse me- what side their bread is plant-based, non-dairy, butter alternatived on.

posted on Oct, 14 2024 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I think they just want pubs to die.
No smoking inside, now no smoking outside
Before too long you cant speak freely in a pub...

posted on Oct, 14 2024 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Absolutely I agree. 100% and apologies again for the satire slipping right over my head because it seems these days one man’s satire is another man’s actual mission.

a reply to: ksihkahe

posted on Oct, 14 2024 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I mean they better ban drinking in pubs too just to be safe.

a reply to: SprocketUK

posted on Oct, 14 2024 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Absolutely I was being hyperbolic to a degree to prove the point. It’s some very dangerous creep indeed.

a reply to: AdultMaleHumanUK

posted on Oct, 14 2024 @ 09:07 AM
link   

The amount they tax it they almost have.

posted on Oct, 14 2024 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Speaking of tax want to know what I have to pay on a tin of McChrystals Snuff? when I get it in the mail 8.5g tin I payed 4$ dollars for I payed 40$ in pst and a few more in duty.

posted on Oct, 14 2024 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Holy mother of god, it’s so distinctly dystopian. This is actual 1984.

‘40 years later’ The sequel

posted on Oct, 14 2024 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Hang on, snuff? the stuff you snort up your nose?
I never even knew it was taxed.

posted on Oct, 14 2024 @ 09:18 AM
link   
It isn’t taxed for you in the UK. It’s the cheapest tobacco product around.

I buy the tin for 1-2 pounds and get it shipped to me. My government has decided that the contents of the tin must be taxed into oblivion because it’s a product not available in Canada for retail. Its my preferred intake over smoking or oral i find it much more pleasurable with out the need to spit or stink. I would argue it’s a better alternative then smoking or chewing BUT my government thinks its worst to the point they won’t permit its retail.

I mean I can buy high proof liquor that WILL KILL ME in one single dose if consumed in excess or I can buy 90% pure thc and bake my coconut but heaven forbid I want mint tobacco.

Just like my original topic it’s just gross overstepping of the government into the affairs of people.

posted on Oct, 14 2024 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Wow, you live you learn.
I thought snuff was just something taken by a few old boys these days.

I think it's dying off faster now because most of the tobacco shops seemed to have closed down.
I used to love this little one we had in Hereford, every Saturday I'd select the most outrageous cigarettes I could find and 5 Honduran hand rolled cigars

They had about a million different tins of snuff too

posted on Oct, 14 2024 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Pmsl, I'd heard about snuff from old boys too! I'm assuming it was not taxed because hardly anyone uses it?
...nothing I've ever snorted has been supplied by any trader who pays taxes!!!

posted on Oct, 14 2024 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Personally, I call them, Fact Cheka's.

posted on Oct, 14 2024 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Well I’ve been called an old soul by many of my teachers growing up and have always been somewhat of an old boy at heart. I like video games and modernity as much as the next person but there is something magical about times past.

I enjoy tea with a loose leaf tea in ball steeped in a real porcelain pot. I like sunglasses round. I like dressing up feeling fancy in suit or dress shirt. I enjoy snuff, I enjoy the garden and modeling and painting.

I am just a old guy in a middle aged body.

posted on Oct, 14 2024 @ 09:55 AM
link   

I never got past the sneezing my head off stage

posted on Oct, 14 2024 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Great topic and proves the times are so close to the 1984 Novel that the Authors family should sue for royalties.

posted on Oct, 14 2024 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos
Absolutely I agree. 100% and apologies again for the satire slipping right over my head because it seems these days one man’s satire is another man’s actual mission.

a reply to: ksihkahe

A refugee walks into a British pub.

After getting bored at the lack of excitement the refugee calls the bartender over.

"Who do you have to attack with a machete to get some banter around here?"

The barkeep becomes indignant, offended even.

"Son, I don't know what it's like in the country you came from, but we don't allow banter in respectable British establishments."

top topics

<<   2 >>

join