It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walz’s claim that he was at Tiananmen Square protests undercut by unearthed newspaper reports

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2024 @ 06:31 PM
link   
CNN is now reporting pathological lier and vice presidential candidate Tim Walz has been caught in another false hood. This time related to his obsession with the Tiananmen Square protests that occurred in China in 1989.

Walz’s claim that he was in Hong Kong during Tiananmen Square protests undercut by unearthed newspaper reports

Walz and his wife, Gwen Walz, were married on June 4, 1994 – the fifth anniversary of the Tiananmen Square massacre.

Ahead of their wedding, Gwen Walz told the Nebraska-based Star-Herald newspaper that they planned to get married on the Tiananmen Square massacre anniversary because “he wanted to have a date he’ll always remember.”

CNN

Talk about "WEIRD"; conflating one of the most happy moments in youd life and the tragic massacre where several thousand people were killed or hurt by the authoritarian Chinese government.

But it seems Walz’s obsession goes futher than arranging his wedding to coincide with the anniversary of the massacre.

He also enjoys lieing about being there on the day of the massacre. As he has done with his national guard service record; Walz uses the false claims regarding his attendance at the historic event to further his stature in academic and political circles.

Newly unearthed reports contradict previous claims made by Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz about his travel to China, including a claim that the Democratic vice presidential nominee was in Hong Kong for a teaching position in 1989 during the Tiananmen Square pro-democracy protests that ended in hundreds of protesters killed by the Chinese government.

“As a young man, I was just going to teach high school in Foshan in Guangdong, and was in Hong Kong in May of ’89,” he said. “And as the events were unfolding, several of us went in. And I still remember the train station in Hong Kong.”

Walz further claimed in a June 2019 radio interview that he was in Hong Kong on June 4, 1989 – the day of the Tiananmen Square massacre.

Politics
Subscribe
Walz’s claim that he was in Hong Kong during Tiananmen Square protests undercut by unearthed newspaper reports
By Aaron Pellish, Andrew Kaczynski and Em Steck, CNN
6 minute read
Updated 3:14 PM EDT, Tue October 1, 2024

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz is interviewed by CNN’s Dana Bash in Savannah, Georgia, on August 29, 2024. Will Lanzoni/CNN
CNN

Newly unearthed reports contradict previous claims made by Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz about his travel to China, including a claim that the Democratic vice presidential nominee was in Hong Kong for a teaching position in 1989 during the Tiananmen Square pro-democracy protests that ended in hundreds of protesters killed by the Chinese government.

The discrepancy over Walz’s relationship to China comes ahead of Tuesday’s vice presidential debate in New York, where Republican allies of Ohio Sen. JD Vance have signaled that the GOP vice presidential nominee may use Walz’s history in China to attack his rival. Walz regularly organized and chaperoned trips to China during his time as a teacher prior to entering politics.

Walz previously said he visited Hong Kong in “May of ’89,” weeks before the Tiananmen Square massacre in Beijing. During a 2014 hearing of the Congressional-Executive Commission on China honoring the 25th anniversary of the Tiananmen Square protests, Walz, then a Minnesota congressman, appeared to recall specific details of his trip to the region at that time.

RELATED ARTICLE
Heading into the vice presidential debate, Tim Walz is fighting nerves
“As a young man, I was just going to teach high school in Foshan in Guangdong, and was in Hong Kong in May of ’89,” he said. “And as the events were unfolding, several of us went in. And I still remember the train station in Hong Kong.”

“The opportunity to be in a Chinese high school at that critical time seemed to me to be really important. And it was a very interesting summer to say the least. Because if you recall, as we moved in that summer and further on and the news blackouts and things that went on, you certainly can’t black out news from people if they want to get it,” he continued.

ADVERTISING

Walz further claimed in a June 2019 radio interview that he was in Hong Kong on June 4, 1989 – the day of the Tiananmen Square massacre.

“I was in Hong Kong on June 4, 1989, when, of course, Tiananmen Square happened. And I was in China after that. It was very strange ‘cause, of course, all outside transmissions were, were blocked – Voice of America – and, of course, there was no, no phones or email or anything. So I was kind of out of touch. It took me a month to know the Berlin Wall had fallen when I was living there,” he said.

Tim Walz claimed he was in Hong Kong on June 4, 1989, the day of the Tiananmen Square massacre

In a radio interview from June 2019, Tim Walz falsely claimed he was in Hong Kong the day of the Tiananmen Square massacre.

Source: The Chad Hartman Show/June 14, 2019

During a 2009 hearing of the Congressional-Executive Commission on China to commemorate the Tiananmen Square protests, Walz claimed that he was in Hong Kong at the time, preparing to go teach in China.

“Twenty years ago today, I was in Hong Kong preparing to go to Foshan to teach at Foshan No. 1 Middle School,” he said. “To watch what happened at the end of the day on June 4 was something that many of us will never forget, we pledge to never forget, and bearing witness and accurate telling of history is absolutely crucial for any nation to move forward.”

Walz’s claims that he was in Hong Kong during the Tiananmen Square protests have been repeated in media reports. But contemporaneous newspaper reports first resurfaced by the Washington Free Beacon, a conservative news outlet, place Walz in Nebraska around that time. An issue of the Alliance Times-Herald dated May 16, 1989, features a photo of Walz touring a Nebraska National Guard storeroom. In the photo’s caption, the paper notes that Walz “will take over the job” of staffing the storeroom from a retiring guardsman and “will be moving to Alliance,” Nebraska. A separate newspaper article about Walz’s planned trip to China published by a Nebraska-based outlet in April 1989 reported that he planned to travel to China in early August of that year.

posted on Oct, 1 2024 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Dandandat3

He's been to China 64 times officially. The CCP mind control really messed him up.

posted on Oct, 1 2024 @ 07:06 PM
link   

All that and this is the definitive proof he wasn't there

contemporaneous newspaper reports first resurfaced by the Washington Free Beacon, a conservative news outlet, place Walz in Nebraska around that time.

I thought it was known he spent a lot of time in China teaching and such. Would it be any stretch of the imagination that he was there during the protest and then quickly fled after what happened?

posted on Oct, 1 2024 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

contemporaneous newspaper reports first resurfaced by the Washington Free Beacon, a conservative news outlet, place Walz in Nebraska around that time.

I thought it was known he spent a lot of time in China teaching and such. Would it be any stretch of the imagination that he was there during the protest and then quickly fled after what happened?

More water carrying for the professional Dem liars.

posted on Oct, 1 2024 @ 07:24 PM
link   

He said he was in Hong Kong on June 4th.
You either believe him when he says he was in Hong Kong or you believe he was in Beijing on June 4th.
He’s said both.
He’s a liar and has been busted again…

“I was in Hong Kong on June 4, 1989, when, of course, Tiananmen Square happened. And I was in China after that. It was very strange ‘cause, of course, all outside transmissions were, were blocked – Voice of America – and, of course, there was no, no phones or email or anything. So I was kind of out of touch. It took me a month to know the Berlin Wall had fallen when I was living there,” he said.
www.cnn.com...

posted on Oct, 1 2024 @ 07:28 PM
link   

What is the psychology of something like this? I mean. The guy wanted a date he will always remember for his wedding and picks the date of one of the most shockingly brutal displays of authoritarian anti-democracy mass murder? You couldn't pick I don't know....Flag Day? Or what I mean is it that hard to remember your wedding anniversary if it doesn't fall on some holiday or major event day?

Poor Gwen. I guess she went along with it so I don't feel that bad for her but still.

posted on Oct, 1 2024 @ 07:29 PM
link   
He was there.

He was in the Tienamen Square McDonald's ordering a Big Mac from Kamala when it all went down.

posted on Oct, 1 2024 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Vermilion

He never said he was in Beijing... he said he was in Hong Kong.

posted on Oct, 1 2024 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shoshanna

What is the psychology of something like this? I mean. The guy wanted a date he will always remember for his wedding and picks the date of one of the most shockingly brutal displays of authoritarian anti-democracy mass murder? You couldn't pick I don't know....Flag Day? Or what I mean is it that hard to remember your wedding anniversary if it doesn't fall on some holiday or major event day?

Poor Gwen. I guess she went along with it so I don't feel that bad for her but still.

His wife is as big a lunatic as he is.

Remember her saying they kept the windows open during the Floyd riots so she could savor the smell of burning tires?

He picked that day for their wedding because he is an authoritarian, anti-democracy, America hating clown.

posted on Oct, 1 2024 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Tim Walz Said He Was in Hong Kong in 1989 During Tiananmen. Not True.

www.nytimes.com...

Repeatedly over the years, Gov. Tim Walz of Minnesota has said that the year he spent teaching in China began with a trip to Hong Kong during the pro-democracy protests in the spring of 1989 that culminated in the deadly crackdown that June in Tiananmen Square in Beijing.

As recently as February, Mr. Walz said on a podcast that he had been in Hong Kong, then a British colony, “on June 4 when Tiananmen happened,” and decided to cross into mainland China to take up his teaching duties even though many people were urging him not to.

Mr. Walz had told the same story a decade earlier, at a congressional hearing, when he testified that he “was in Hong Kong in May 1989,” adding, “As the events were unfolding, several of us went in. I still remember the train station in Hong Kong.”

But it was not true.

posted on Oct, 1 2024 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vermilion

He said he was in Hong Kong on June 4th.
You either believe him when he says he was in Hong Kong or you believe he was in Beijing on June 4th.
He’s said both.
He’s a liar and has been busted again…

www.cnn.com...

In the quote you cited, he said he was in Hong Kong WHEN Tiananmen Square happened. Nothing in the CNN article has him saying he was in Beijing WHERE Tiananmen Square happened, when it happened. I was in Toulouse, France when Tiananmen Square happened and I remember it well. Hong Kong, Beijing, and Toulouse are all separate cities.

He said he entered China after that. Presumably, that's why he was at the Hong Kong train station--to enter mainland China.

The CNN article says that he appeared in a Nebraska newspaper photo on May 16, 1989. Another Nebraska newspaper said he was due to travel to China in August of 1989. Let's assume that both of those newspaper stories are correct. Neither one individually or taken together prove that he was not in Hong Kong on June 3, 1989. It takes about 15 hours to fly from the middle of the US to Hong Kong.

If someone can come up with an airline ticket or train ticket or something, that shows he was in Hong Kong on June 3, then I will believe him. If someone comes up with a photo that shows him in Nebraska or some other place on June 3 then I will believe he is mistaken. Until then, I will reserve judgment.

posted on Oct, 1 2024 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeMustCare

He's been to China 64 times officially. The CCP mind control really messed him up.

I just saw on the news Walz has only been to China 20 times.

There comes a point when you can't help but think aree of these conflicting reports have only one intention; to keep the facts so muddled that eventually people will give up caring if the subject is true or not.

The Walz fans will just blow his propensity for being dishonest as 'all politicians lie'. That's fair, but when a lie has no more impact than the truth why choose to lie as Walz is known to do? I think that's what is classified as 'a high degree of narcissism'....and a true narcissist cares about themselves above all others.

What Walz has done as governor shows he doesn't have the best interests of society as a whole at heart, but rather what will keep him in power.

posted on Oct, 1 2024 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Boomer1947

You’re going to have to take it up with the New York Times.
www.nytimes.com...

Walz is a proven liar.
He can’t stop himself.
He’s been telling this one for decades.

posted on Oct, 1 2024 @ 08:04 PM
link   
He is learning fast, the democrat swamp is teaching him right, the sad thing is that democrat voters will believe anything these politicians will tell.

He and Kamala will be waking on waters, and everybody will go on their needs to worship them.

posted on Oct, 1 2024 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Why don’t you ask the kids at Tiananmen Square?

posted on Oct, 1 2024 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Sources I'm reading say he went to China shortly after it all went down and anyone traveling outside Hong Kong into china that was a foreigner were taking a huge risk.

I can't imagine tensions instantly settling down after the situation in the square. It must have been a huge event in china and walz was already teaching in china before the massacre. 1989 was a long time ago, news traveled slow back then and he even admitted that news in china, moved, really slow. So by time he made to Hong Kong in Aug. The event that happened was probably still "new" in anyone outside of Beijing.
edit on 1-10-2024 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2024 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Look dude, I linked the source for you from the New York Times. which loves the democrats, proving he wasn’t there when he said he was there.
He’s a damn liar and has been lying it about for decades.

posted on Oct, 1 2024 @ 08:31 PM
link   

It would be a stretch for you to not have a knee jerk that says your "hero" has lied is the lie in your estimation.

I am curious how much it pays to work from Canada for the CIA?

Any clues we find are strictly on the downlow.

posted on Oct, 1 2024 @ 08:33 PM
link   

This is the NYT source. Taken right from the article you gave.

www.mprnews.org...

Walz never states definitively that he was there during the massacre.

posted on Oct, 1 2024 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

I'm actually asking questions and digging for truth and you're posting a bunch of nonsense trying to push a narrative.

I don't have an agenda, especially here on a dead end website that has bo sway on anything in this world.

<<   2 >>

join