It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia gripped by human rights crackdown, says UN

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 12:36 PM
link   
BBC News - Russia gripped by human rights crackdown, says UN
www.bbc.com...

"The investigation details police brutality, widespread repression of independent media and persistent attempts to silence Kremlin critics using punitive new laws".

Seven years jail for reading an anti war poem, harsh sentences for dissent, Police brutality including rape and torture and the State becoming even more homophobic.

"A systematic crackdown on civil society" according to the UN report.

I'm not a fan of the UN but it seems that Russia is becoming even more authoritarian.

Forced indoctrination of children with jail for parents who refuse charged with "failing to fulfil their parental duties".

Sounds pretty grim.

Mods - please move if this isn't the right forum.
edit on 26-9-2024 by Oldcarpy2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Wait a sec. I thought things were all good in Russia and they were offering safe haven to westerners that wanted to flee their respective authoritarian and leftist governments.

I agree that the UN can kick rocks.

Hilarious if it weren’t so sad that they’re letting Bibi take time off from decimating Lebanon and Gaza to give a lecture, er um, I mean, an address to the world after they passed the workaround for “the future” after their failed WHO plot.

Political Kabuki at its finest.

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 12:51 PM
link   
If it wasn't for the homophobic comment
I would say we are talking about Trudeau's wet dream for Canada.
Punitive new laws, check.
Forced indoctrination of children, check.
Harsh sentences for dissents, check.
Yep, almost all there.
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: SteamyAmerican

Agree about the UN but it's pretty clear that things are getting a lot worse in Russia.

Anyone still wanting to move to the democracy and freedom loving Putin's paradise?

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: HeyYouNotYouYou

I don't know anything about Canada.

Are things really that bad over there?

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 01:21 PM
link   
You could easily substitue the word America for Russia and it would fit right in with todays' news in the US.

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2

Agree about the UN but it's pretty clear that things are getting a lot worse in Russia.

Anyone still wanting to move to the democracy and freedom loving Putin's paradise?
From someone who can’t post their thoughts online their home country (you), to someone that has the FBI visit homes for memes in their country (me), I don’t think comparing who’s house is made of more glass is getting anyone anywhere.

Besides, take a look at the poor Israeli girl who said she didn’t think children in Gaza should be killed, and immediately her fellow students and administrators too turned on her and said her village should burn just for speaking her mind.

The world over is becoming more authoritative by degrees every day. It’s a dangerous thing to think critically about world issues or for oneself.

As for Putin? Dictators gonna dictate.

Bonus: it gives the West a “bad guy” to play cop to.
ISIS and Al-Qaeda are all played out. Hell. Even now the Biden administration is trying to play ball with Hezbollah due to Israel’s heavy hand and goal-post shifting.

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2
a reply to: HeyYouNotYouYou

I don't know anything about Canada.

Are things really that bad over there?

Canada sounds like how my friend describes France.

They force you to be nice. 😊

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

Everything in the World is depressing these days. Including here in dear old Blighty.

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 01:38 PM
link   

I seem to recall hearing how around 50% of Russians want to see Putin lose and his regime be toppled.

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Well. Depending on who you ask, 50% of Americans want to see the potential American prez nominee they don’t favor not become #47 and believe the other side will destroy America itself.

So there’s that.

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I do not understand how some people believe everything the MSM says. Even after all this time and the many, many lies from the MSM.

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Blueracer

So, you think the UN report is MSM lies?

Is this made up, too?

BBC News - Russian poets get jail sentences for anti-war poetry reading - BBC News
www.bbc.co.uk...

Is this?

BBC News - Russian artist gets 7 years for anti-war messages
www.bbc.com...

You can Google them.

Other sources are available.

Probably not in Russia, though.
edit on 26-9-2024 by Oldcarpy2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Speaking of depression, I give you the Fast Show, Johnny the painter - "BLACK!!!"

m.youtube.com... you

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Things are gradually getting worse here in the UK and we need to address that as a matter of urgency. But I wouldn't compare it to Russia....yet.

There were several political parties contesting the recent General Election here in the UK where the electorate voted to change governments. Yes, there are fewer differences between the major political parties than ever before, the vast majority are careerist politicians and we need to reform our electoral processes to be more representative.
Compare that to the last election in Russia; the de facto dictator got to choose exactly who could or could not stand against him and credible opponents were either barred or imprisoned.

I criticise Starmer whenever and however I like, never had the secret police knocking on my door.
I've criticised all of his predecessors going back to Thatcher, sometimes very vocally, publicly and passionately......never been arrested for any of that or even threatened with arrest.

I very much doubt if I'd be able to say the same if I lived in Russia or the USSR.

I know things are getting worse in each of our respective countries and we need to stop that slide but if we honestly put it into perspective things are nowhere near as bad as Russia.....and things are getting worse there, much worse if recent reports are to be believed.

That isn't MSM rhetoric or government based propaganda, its based on real life experience.

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I’m not. We should all get our own houses in order, and the UN can suck a left peanut.

I’m saying everyone should tend to their own country.

If I wanted to compare Russia to anyone, it’d be China.

But point taken.

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Quite right.

I find it sad that people bang on about Western MSM lies when all Russians get is rigidly State controlled media and censorship.

People criticize the BBC as being "State owned" but do they realize how often they have broken stories highly critical of the Govt of the day?

Apparently not.

There is no comparison with Russia. As you say..."yet".

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 02:21 PM
link   

The UN can’t be right or truthful on just some things to be believable.

That isn’t how an authoritarian non-governmental body makes itself the mouthpiece for rights or the global voice of reason. That’s not how that works.

Now about those resolutions on Israel…

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Thing is.

The thread is about ""Russia"" being gripped by human rights crackdowns.

Not America or her politics, not everything is you see.

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Israel is not the topic.

I already said that I'm no fan of the UN but surely you can't be blind to the massive authoritarian crackdown on dissent in Russia?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join