It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Protest Over X Ban in Brasil September 7 Led By Former Leader Jair Bolsonaro

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2024 @ 08:56 AM
link   
So when I was talking about social media companies pulling out of European markets for 7 days in response to state censorship, this is the reaction I was kind of expecting. tens of thousands of people flooding into capitol streets to make their voices heard by the government, and kind of force a showdown with the people to test their governments. How would French, British, Spanish or any other states respond to this scenario?? Would they have elected officials do townhalls with civil society activists and protestors and how to come to an understanding, take administrative actions to roll back totalitarianism or will they prove themselves to be the enemy of their people as the free people of the world continue to accuse them of?? I think only a social media blackout in Europe could ultimately give us the answer. We shall see if this remains a one-off or an ongoing event and what the Brazilian government's response may be.

Thousands of Brazilians flooded city streets on Saturday to protest against the government's censorship crusade against Elon Musk's 'free-speech' X platform.

The demonstration, held Saturday on Independence Day, was led by former Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro - who said in response to Supreme Court Justice Alexandre de Moraes: "I hope that the Federal Senate puts the brakes on Alexandre de Moraes, this dictator who does more harm to Brazil than Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva himself."

Several notable X accounts, including journalist Michael Shellenberger, are reporting from Sao Paulo's main boulevard, where tens of thousands have gathered today in opposition to far-left Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva and Supreme Court Justice Alexandre de Moraes that recently blocked X nationwide. .... Shellenberger said, "The crowd was absolutely enormous. Without a doubt one of the largest free speech protests in history."

It is good to see a free citizenry making their voices heard. Sometimes the only way to elicit this kind of reaction, is to actually take away the most common platform that was used daily, even if only temporarily. After all if they all had a virtual platform that they never needed to move their feet to be heard from, this kind of power would not even be realized, right?? The real power is not online folks, it is in the streets of the real world. Heed this show of force, we all need to start participating in it more openly.

Rebel News journalists were also on the ground, capturing the massive crowds via drone footage.

posted on Sep, 8 2024 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Any comments from The White House group that was/is censoring SM?

How 'bout The Kamala Kampaign HQ? 😊

What does the general Democrat Policy Platform have?

posted on Sep, 8 2024 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Pretty sure Elon annouced a few days ago that he would provide Brasil free internet in response to the X ban...obviously if people are reporting on this protest through X he was able to bypass the government.

posted on Sep, 8 2024 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: RickyD
He can provide free internet all he wants, but when the state blocks a domain from being visited even using a VPN soon will probably land people in hot water.

Internet access and twitter access are not mutually exclusive.

posted on Sep, 8 2024 @ 09:36 AM
link   

I understand this...however people are reporting on the protest from inside Brasil on X so it must be possible yea? Also by the way Elon has been talking to the president there in his exchanges it sure seems like he doesn't care what Barsil has to say. What can they really do to him if he doesn't go to brasil? Also starlink doesn't have a ground based infrastructure to shut down aside from the receivers at peoples houses which he doesn't own so why would he care?

posted on Sep, 8 2024 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD

I understand this...however people are reporting on the protest from inside Brasil on X so it must be possible yea? Also by the way Elon has been talking to the president there in his exchanges it sure seems like he doesn't care what Barsil has to say. What can they really do to him if he doesn't go to brasil? Also starlink doesn't have a ground based infrastructure to shut down aside from the receivers at peoples houses which he doesn't own so why would he care?

Right now in Brazil, you can use a VPN to bypass the censorship. Probably only a matter of time before those are shut down.

You are right, Starlink has no real ground infrastructure. But it is only the conduit through which you can access the internet. Those servers, as far as I know, are ground based. So if they kill access to servers, then Starlink will be worthless.

posted on Sep, 8 2024 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Ah yes, that "flawed" document (per the democrats) called the Constitution of the United States of America, and that damn Freedom of Speech thing.

posted on Sep, 8 2024 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

Are those servers in Brasil? I would bet they are right here in the US...and if that is the case the only thing they could do is confiscate the receivers at people's homes...but starlink isn't banned so they would have to ban that I guess or play whack a mole trying to trace down connections to the X servers from Brasil which sounds like a lot of work and manpower to be effective with. I think its why Elon so publicly went toe to toe with el presidente...he knew it would be pretty difficult for the government to block X from the people if he gave starlink connections for free.

posted on Sep, 8 2024 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

Well, Starlink does have ground uplink and downlink tranceivers, but these uplink/downlink sites aren't necessarily in Brazil. In fact, most all of them are located within the continental US. There are about (150) of them in total with more being added all the time.

So, killing access to the servers isn't something Brazil has any power to do, and the Starlink satellites orbiting over Brazil aren't uplinking and downlinking to earth stations in Brazil.

On a side note, as a person who works in aerospace, I decided to take a gander into how Starlink works. I hadn't really thought about this much previously, but I started to wonder how the downlink side of the Starlink system worked. The uplink from the user side is pretty straight forward, but the uplink and downlink off the earth station side is almost unimaginably complex.

posted on Sep, 8 2024 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

Doesn't really matter where the "servers" are; it's really more a function of where the Starlink ground stations are, and yes, those are mostly in the continental US. The servers can be anywhere on the internet...which is what the earth stations connect to.

posted on Sep, 8 2024 @ 04:58 PM
link   

The hard-right-wing eats itself!

posted on Sep, 8 2024 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

That literally makes no sense in relation to the post...are you sure you aren't lost?

posted on Sep, 8 2024 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Ah yes, that "flawed" document (per the democrats) called the Constitution of the United States of America, and that damn Freedom of Speech thing.

In Brazil?

posted on Sep, 8 2024 @ 05:50 PM
link   

That literally makes no sense in relation to the post...are you sure you aren't lost?

Elon Musk - Venture Capitalist and Trump supporter. Fairly hard-right.
Jair Bolsonaro - Hard-right former leader of Brazil.
Assumption that the US has the right to apply its rules to the rest of the world (and other 'countries/cultures/religions/ethnicities' can't do the same back) - Fairly hard-right.

edit on 2024-09-08T18:56:59-05:0006Sun, 08 Sep 2024 18:56:59 -050009pm00000030 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2024 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Thats hardly the right eating itself...
Its not applying its rules...its just not recognizing the authority of Brazil's rules outside of Brazilian boarders. Thankfully its still not acceptable to outright censor...you have to do it like our left does here...underhandedly through subtle corruption.

Also unlike the US Brazil can't enforce its laws outside of its boarders even if they wanted to...

posted on Sep, 8 2024 @ 11:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Any comments from The White House group that was/is censoring SM?

How 'bout The Kamala Kampaign HQ? 😊

What does the general Democrat Policy Platform have?

The leaders can all ignore people marching, just like they did in Canada (truck blockades) and Germany (Yellow Vest protests).

What would bring these leaders to their knees and make them stop being azzholes?

posted on Sep, 8 2024 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Ah, the Trump wannabe who encouraged his supporters to attack the presidential palace, the Brazilian congress and the supreme court when he lost to Lula. Another loser, just like the coward skulking behind his bodyguards at Mar-a-Lago.

posted on Sep, 9 2024 @ 12:30 AM
link   

You still aren't making any sense. Seems to me this is a story about a leftist dictator enforcing ridiculous censorship laws. Mark my words, the same thing will happen in so called civilized nations as leftist lunatics wield more and more power.

I also find it funny how Musk was the golden boy of the left for so long, with his electric cars and rockets. But the moment he starts to support the crazy notion of free speech (which isn't a cultural thing btw, it's a basic right), suddenly he is "hard-right".

It's truly pathetic how the left labels everything they disagree with as far-right. Musk is simply smart enough to see beyond all the propaganda. He's actually the one trying to provide them with open internet access, but please keep telling us how you're so morally superior.
edit on 9/9/2024 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2024 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Thats hardly the right eating itself...
Its not applying its rules...its just not recognizing the authority of Brazil's rules outside of Brazilian boarders. Thankfully its still not acceptable to outright censor...you have to do it like our left does here...underhandedly through subtle corruption.

Also unlike the US Brazil can't enforce its laws outside of its boarders even if they wanted to...

But there's brazillions of them...

posted on Sep, 9 2024 @ 05:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder

You still aren't making any sense. Seems to me this is a story about a leftist dictator enforcing ridiculous censorship laws.

Wasn't Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva just elected (for the second time, He left the Presidencty last time, 12 years ago) last year? How did he get to dictatorship?

Mark my words, the same thing will happen in so called civilized nations as leftist lunatics wield more and more power.

I also find it funny how Musk was the golden boy of the left for so long, with his electric cars and rockets. But the moment he starts to support the crazy notion of free speech (which isn't a cultural thing btw, it's a basic right), suddenly he is "hard-right".

Elon Musk and his conspiracy-laden leap to the extreme-right

It's truly pathetic how the left labels everything they disagree with as far-right. Musk is simply smart enough to see beyond all the propaganda. He's actually the one trying to provide them with open internet access, but please keep telling us how you're so morally superior.

He is a businessman who owns an Internet company. He has no business reach into Brazil if he can't get his hooks in.

However, I never suggested that I was morally superior. I don't think I have previously made a mention of my morality at all.

I can assure you, I'm a sinner.

Do you think I'm morally superior?

edit on 2024-09-09T05:25:28-05:0005Mon, 09 Sep 2024 05:25:28 -050009am00000030 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join