It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flat earth site done with me, self exit interview.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2024 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Overview

Flat earth is a totally manufactured conspiracy theory. Which allows an analysis of people believing an absolutely false “conspiracy”.

Let that sink in. A site totally dedicated to a lie, whit people blatantly acting to push that lie. Willfully using falsehoods to push what is ultimately a lie.

If you think otherwise concerning flat earth is a lie, I’m more than happy to start another thread to discuss the totally debunking of flat earth.

The website I was on, banned from in increasing increments is totally dedicated to flat earth. If you join the site, and are obvious a ball earther, you will get reminded from time to time you are on flat earth turf. Fair enough.

The dynamics of the cite are very interesting and a bit unethical to me? Cheers and praise to ATS moderators that are probably some of the most fair and honest moderators out there.

If you explore the site, you quickly realize there is a forum that is strictly for true FE believers. I think the forum is literally titled “True Believers”. A safe space where only flat earthers can post. Not sure what the test is to get permission to post in the forum? Flat earthers can post memes making fun of ball earthers to their heart’s content with no opposition. Post that flights south of the equator are staged by loading up homeless people and pushing them out over the oceans. That NASA is assassinating people. Or FE “research”.

I think most of the other forums on the site are open to all who register on the site. There are also other forums, like religion. But in a free and open society dedicated to freedom of religion, debating religion is like debating your favorite color is better than all others.

Concerning how the FE site is ran. In all honesty, the sticking point with me. And what lead to me getting banned. The website staff will post in threads from time to time, but don’t put aside their moderator roles. So you can be disciplined by a flat earther engaging in active debate with you. Somehow on a site no matter the subject, flat earthers will derail a thread to NASA lies, space is fake, and /or you believe the earth is a ball because you were told. My first ban was for being off topic. It involved a flat earth administrator posting a thread all excited Deadpool might be a flat earther? Over a Deadpool flat earth comment that seemed more parade and sarcasm? I guess they didn’t like pointing out the character Deadpool is sarcastic. And instead of referring to a fictional character, how about rewriting text concerning small watercraft and tides to show if flat earth is useful.

Well, enough belly aching.

So you read through the website, you can’t help but wonder the motivations on arguing in support of a totally debunked flat earth.

Are they:

1. Just right out trolling
2. Role playing and never break character?
3. Trying to give Christian’s a bad name?
4. Seeing how many people can be conned into joining the flat earth band wagon.
5. People that think the can argue anything?
6. Failed fantasy writers?

I personally think there is a remnant of people holding on to the possibility of fortune and popularity that came about because of the flat earth craze a few years ago. People that think, or hope, they can ague anything and facilitate a following. People with no other items of talent can change their social standing. To be honest, it also gave a rise to flat earth debunkers. It basically created a flat earth / debunking industry that many profited from. One of the pinnacles of this was the documentary “Behind the Curve” it’s actually very interesting, and worth the time and money to watch if you like studies into human behavior. Some of more notable parts are when people in the documentary try to prove flat earth, end up debunking flat earth. My favorite part is not the actual debunking. It’s watching these people that created these roles for themselves by banking off flat earth, and not breaking character when FE is debunked. They keep up the charade because it would kill their own industry. Everything from flat earth channels to flat earn conventions.

I use these Pink Floyd lyrics from time to time. “Did you trade your walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage.” Ironic people consumed with conspiracy are ate up with the promise of celebrity playing the lying fool.

posted on Aug, 15 2024 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Why did I argue with people that right out lie?

That is a question I ask myself. Some of it was emotional, some of it was poking at the FE arrogance. Some of it was just seeing how they react. Mainly, why do I believe what I believe. See the taboo topics flat earthers avoid listed below.

If you argue on the cite enough, you realize certain topics a taboo. Like why all the different map projections. Gravity can actually be measured, and varies with density. Why do navy’s not treat the world as flat. Why the direction south means something. Why are dial star atlases accurate at predicting the night sky. Why you can’t use a telescope to bring a set sun back into view. Why a pair of binoculars can’t bring a ship that sailed over the horizon back into view. Anything that is your personal favorite experience that kills flat earth, like if you used a sat phone in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

When a FE does engage in debate, it’s like watching a train wreck. One FE favorite is the sun sets because of perspective. If you ask how prospective physically blocks a single point light source like the sun from view, they will start posting about railroad tracks “rising” in the distance. Or light dies. Then jump to trying to change the subject. They will try to make it about you being a stupid and programmed ball Earther. Or NASA lies. Or NASA as a vast army to keep you from the ice wall the globe labels Antarctica. Or CGI. Or the sun and moon are projects.

Flat earthers when faced with undeniable and demonstrable proof the earth is a sphere will resort to:

One, trying to insult you over something specific like “You believe because NASA told you”. And then try to keep derailing the thread because they think you will defend NASA?

Two. Just long posts to try to push the inconvenient evidence into oblivion. And change the subject to globalism.

Three. Start quoting the Bible, or more like using the Bible out of context.

Four. Straight up lie. Like light doesn’t travel in a vacuum. We never put rockets into orbit around earth. Gravity doesn’t exist, it’s a made up force by globalists.

Five. Will paraphrase certain scientists, misquote them, and /or quote out of context

Six. Make up their own calculations.

Seven. Or just long babbling posts using all the elements above. Anything to derail and change the subject.

posted on Aug, 15 2024 @ 01:59 PM
link   
The conundrum.

So. People that right out lie and claim the earth is flat where they are repeatedly debunked should be ignored. Funny though, they are the same people that claim everything should be questioned. Until you question them. So flat earthers should be challenged. I think fortunately FE is once again on the decline where most people understand it’s an outdated and useless model. I hope FE does die in a vacuum. Don’t feed the trolls. But if you come across a FE, don’t get upset. Just stick by your own experience that demonstrates the earth is spherical. Use that for debate. Don’t let a flat earther change the subject. Ignore it when they insult you. And there might be a point where you have to clearly state they have been debunked, list how your own personal experience proves FE is a lie (not sure why flat earthers think everyone stays locked up in a basement), and walk away.

posted on Aug, 15 2024 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Final note, sad personal experience.

I’m working for a group trying to get a project off the ground. And like any project, there are real concerns. Concerns that should be addressed. What is sad are people that right out lie. Use straight up slander. Fortunately, as a whole people are very supportive. Or indifferent, but happy if the project goes through because of its benefits to some.

But there will always be a small and loud group that use nothing but lies and slander. I really think they fall into that old trap of trading a walk on part for a lead role in a cage. They get addicted to the small amount of attention. And will act the fool to any extent to keep that attention.
edit on 15-8-2024 by Lazy88 because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2024 @ 02:09 PM
link   
What if I told you there are people who are, in fact, true believers?

I mean, we all know if the Earth was flat that cats would've already pushed everything off

posted on Aug, 15 2024 @ 02:31 PM
link   
OP:
I'm sorry. You just can't fix stupid. Nor argue with them.

a reply to: Moon68
A more truer statement I've not heard today. I stole it.
Cats are D&^%@

posted on Aug, 15 2024 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Lazy88

But but but...can we get a better name than "ball-earther"? I'm sticking with the spherical consensus, but I'm certainly NOT a "ball-earther". 😂

It's almost insulting if wasn't a perfect description of dropping your pants, copping a squat and "connecting" with mother gaia! 😲

To each, their own.😂

How about "circle jerks"? Wait, no.... that's already a band. Maybe "The Marble Minions"? No?

Too Disney?

Okay then, my final proposed designation is "Blueberry Buddies". That's all I can muster.... I'm tapped out!!
LOL

"There's not a Cheshire Cat, nor Mad Hatter, more devious or madder, than that of the reasoning, of a globe denying flatter."

edit on 15-8-2024 by VariedcodeSole because: eta

posted on Aug, 15 2024 @ 02:35 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 15 2024 @ 02:51 PM
link   

They should have a game show kinda like The Amazing Race, except it's Flat Earthers looking for the edge. Bonus money if they get a picture of A'Tuin.

posted on Aug, 15 2024 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I used to enjoy the flat earth threads here on ATS......some of the theories and reasoning were hilarious.

The good ol' days....seems like quite the while ago but it was only last year.

posted on Aug, 15 2024 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

I used to enjoy the flat earth threads here on ATS......some of the theories and reasoning were hilarious.

The good ol' days....seems like quite the while ago but it was only last year.

As long as it didn’t get personal and straight up debate, it can be lots of fun. And can challenge what you believe and why.

But there are serious people, or they stay in character, that take stuff serious like airlines push people out of passengers jets to stage flights south of the equator. It’s stuff like that that makes you wonder who you are really dialoguing with. And how sane they are.

posted on Aug, 15 2024 @ 03:26 PM
link   
The flat earthers are gaslighting. We get the same over here with politics. We have people tell us wonderful a foolish turtle on a post is. They insult our intelligence as much as flat earthers do.

posted on Aug, 15 2024 @ 03:29 PM
link   
lol flat earth.

Remember folks. It's turtles all the way down.

posted on Aug, 15 2024 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

They should have a game show kinda like The Amazing Race, except it's Flat Earthers looking for the edge. Bonus money if they get a picture of A'Tuin.

That could actually work.

And finally get rid of those pesky flat-brainers for a very long time.

posted on Aug, 15 2024 @ 03:48 PM
link   

But there will always be a small and loud group that use nothing but lies and slander.

Like Richard Gage is a charlatan or WTC 7 collapsed due to fire? I don't mean to derail this thread, just provide some examples of how some debates go.

Good on you trying to help some of these FE people. I agree it is strange to see just how flexible some minds can be when having their ideas and perceptions challenged.

posted on Aug, 15 2024 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Sorry, I wasn't able to read your entire OP, so maybe you addressed this. If the flat Earth folks want to prove their claims, why the hell can't they just provide some photos of the Earth's edges?

posted on Aug, 15 2024 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: kwaka

It’s not hard to find the debates yourself.

Just google flat earth society Deadpool.

But trying to avoid generating foot traffic. Don’t want to attack any specific person too. Hard not to concerning the administrator that engages in active debate. And I was as very clear. You can have absolute proof of spherical earth. And the thread will be derailed to things like NASA lies. Or you are a programmed globalist. Or rockets can’t travel in space. Or they don’t let you go to Antarctica. Perspective makes the sun disappear.

FE has many similarities with other promoters of conspiracy as an industry. As in it’s a source of fortune and fame. They love presenting their ideas in a vacuum, they state everting should be questioned, but when you question them you get called a government shill, they act like you live in a basement and have none of your own experiences or knowledge, they ignore proven science, the talking heads love speaking engagements and the attention, they love conferences, they produce content for a specific target audience as a product. They speak in terms of never or always. Like nobody has ever been to the South Pole. NASA always lies and produces fake images.

posted on Aug, 15 2024 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Oh. Other taboo subjects. Amateur high altitude balloon flights that capture earth’s curvature. High altitude rocket launches by private individuals and colleges.

posted on Aug, 15 2024 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Or they don’t let you go to Antarctica.

My grandson went to Antarctica for their research program every summer when he was at Berkley working towards his doctorate in physics. I'm pretty sure the pictures are real and his stories about his experiences are true, but I won't tell the FE community.

posted on Aug, 15 2024 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

That’s awesome!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join