It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Just Found Oceans of Liquid Water on Mars

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2024 @ 03:51 PM
link   
The liquid water has been discovered at about 7 to 10 miles beneath the surface of Mars by analysing data from the now defunct Insight lander which was sent to detect Mars quakes , finding large bodies of liquid water inside Mars , likely containing hydro thermal vents could very well be a home for life and perhaps a source of the mystery methane spikes .... perhaps.

"Establishing that there is a big reservoir of liquid water provides some window into what the climate was like or could be like," says geophysicist Michael Manga of University of California, Berkeley.

"And water is necessary for life as we know it. I don't see why [the underground reservoir] is not a habitable environment. It's certainly true on Earth – deep, deep mines host life, the bottom of the ocean hosts life. We haven't found any evidence for life on Mars, but at least we have identified a place that should, in principle, be able to sustain life."

Mars continues to be coy about its water reserves. Previous detections identified, and then raised serious questions about water reservoirs lurking below the Martian surface. And InSight data has shown that there's not likely to be much water ice in the upper crust around the lander's location.

But if the water-rich layer now detected deeper below the surface were consistent around the entire globe of Mars, there would be enough water to fill ancient oceans, and then some, the researchers found
www.sciencealert.com...

There be Martians.

posted on Aug, 12 2024 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
The liquid water has been discovered at about 7 to 10 miles beneath the surface of Mars by analysing data from the now defunct Insight lander which was sent to detect Mars quakes , finding large bodies of liquid water inside Mars , likely containing hydro thermal vents could very well be a home for life and perhaps a source of the mystery methane spikes .... perhaps.

"Establishing that there is a big reservoir of liquid water provides some window into what the climate was like or could be like," says geophysicist Michael Manga of University of California, Berkeley.

"And water is necessary for life as we know it. I don't see why [the underground reservoir] is not a habitable environment. It's certainly true on Earth – deep, deep mines host life, the bottom of the ocean hosts life. We haven't found any evidence for life on Mars, but at least we have identified a place that should, in principle, be able to sustain life."

Mars continues to be coy about its water reserves. Previous detections identified, and then raised serious questions about water reservoirs lurking below the Martian surface. And InSight data has shown that there's not likely to be much water ice in the upper crust around the lander's location.

But if the water-rich layer now detected deeper below the surface were consistent around the entire globe of Mars, there would be enough water to fill ancient oceans, and then some, the researchers found
www.sciencealert.com...

There be Martians.

Well, if the water (or liquid) existed on the surface at some point, it must have a way to get from the surface to where ever it is now. Finding the giant bathtub drain on Mars might be a heck of a scientific breakthrough.

Even if the water percolates down from the surface through layers of sand, understanding how this works would be very valuable. Even better, would be understanding if any voids exist where this water is, like underground caverns, and what is the atmosphere like inside these voids.

If all this works out to be true, then Mars might be more attainable than previously thought.

Great OP, Gortex!

Edit - Now all we need is to find a giant rusted out Statue of Liberty on an ancient beach!!! "Damn you, Gawd! Damn you all to Hell!!"

edit on 8/12/2024 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2024 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

www.sciencealert.com...

There be Martians.

Well, if the water (or liquid) existed on the surface at some point, it must have a way to get from the surface to where ever it is now. Finding the giant bathtub drain on Mars might be a heck of a scientific breakthrough.

Even if the water percolates down from the surface through layers of sand, understanding how this works would be very valuable. Even better, would be understanding if any voids exist where this water is, like underground caverns, and what is the atmosphere like inside these voids.

If all this works out to be true, then Mars might be more attainable than previously thought.

Great OP, Gortex!

edit - Now all we need is to find a giant rusted out Statue of Liberty on an ancient beach!!! "Damn you all to Hell!!"

It is thought that much of the surface water evaporated away when Mars lost it's atmosphere, but some clearly remians locked 10km below the surface.
The report says that the theory is all the trapped water would cover the entire Mars surface and be miles deep.
Going to be tough to drill 10km down though to get at the water if humans ever do colonise Mars.

I do agree with the OP though - there is a very good chance that much water means life right now on Mars.

edit on 12/8/2024 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2024 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I think most of us would be genuinely surprised if there wasn’t life on Mars.

posted on Aug, 12 2024 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Well, if it evaporated into the atmosphere, then logic would seem to suggest it existed on the surface to evaporate 'from'.

I'm certainly not a geology expert, but astrophysics is kind of down my alley; I'm not aware of planets which have formed with a water like substance below a solid crust. When any sort of liquid is present in a planetary core it's usually a molten form of the exterior crust in one derivative or another. Other planets, like Jupiter and Saturn, appear to be largely gas and/or liquid forms (be it ice or other).

I guess my point is...if water is below the surface of Mars, then it must have gotten there from being on the surface at some point. Thus my statement about possibility of finding a 'path' for migration of the water 'might' make that water more accessible (to preclude drilling).

posted on Aug, 12 2024 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ARM19688

Define "life".

Intelligent life? Or, just living organisms?

posted on Aug, 12 2024 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I’d wager a pretty high chance of martians then as well.

Would be pretty cool if the first alien world we discover is a subterranean bioluminescent ocean.

And that makes subterranean mars bases more feasible.
a reply to: gortex

edit on 12-8-2024 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2024 @ 05:27 PM
link   

a reply to: UKTruth

Well, if it evaporated into the atmosphere, then logic would seem to suggest it existed on the surface to evaporate 'from'.

I'm certainly not a geology expert, but astrophysics is kind of down my alley; I'm not aware of planets which have formed with a water like substance below a solid crust. When any sort of liquid is present in a planetary core it's usually a molten form of the exterior crust in one derivative or another. Other planets, like Jupiter and Saturn, appear to be largely gas and/or liquid forms (be it ice or other).

I guess my point is...if water is below the surface of Mars, then it must have gotten there from being on the surface at some point. Thus my statement about possibility of finding a 'path' for migration of the water 'might' make that water more accessible (to preclude drilling).

I guess it could just seep down over millions of years.
As on earth the rocks below the surface will likely be porous and water will just seep down and in to create something similar to aquifiers we have here on earth... just lower down.
Who knows, but exciting to find it.
I think its pretty well accepted that massive amounts of surface water existing at some point.

posted on Aug, 12 2024 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I always wondered where the Aquatic came from on Star Trek.

posted on Aug, 12 2024 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Do You Mean like in the USA ?

originally posted by: ARM19688

Define "life".

posted on Aug, 12 2024 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Define "life".

Define intelligent.

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent." -Qui Gon Gin to Jar Jar Binks

Would you consider worms intelligent? Squirrels? Fish?

posted on Aug, 12 2024 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Quaid, start the reactor.

This is very cool, thank you.
You always have good science threads Gortex. 👍

posted on Aug, 12 2024 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Game changer!

Did Musk know this already I wonder?

I predict a Hydrogen powered Mars with some form of Nuclear tech will be practical. Solar panels and good batteries. Hopefully enough other resources easily extractable should have colonies by 2050... If we don't have that WW3 from hell some feel is coming soon.

posted on Aug, 12 2024 @ 06:40 PM
link   
It cant be beyind our means to drill 10km down
I know it's way way more than we have currently drilled on Earth - which is about 1.23 km down, but why not keep going

posted on Aug, 12 2024 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

www.sciencealert.com...

There be Martians.

Great OP, Gortex!

edit - Now all we need is to find a giant rusted out Statue of Liberty on an ancient beach!!! "Damn you all to Hell!!"

It is thought that much of the surface water evaporated away when Mars lost it's atmosphere, but some clearly remians locked 10km below the surface.
The report says that the theory is all the trapped water would cover the entire Mars surface and be miles deep.
Going to be tough to drill 10km down though to get at the water if humans ever do colonise Mars.

I do agree with the OP though - there is a very good chance that much water means life right now on Mars.

What it should mean is that when we can indeed drill down on Mars that way to obtain access it will be worth the effort. The water still might be closer in seams like oil does on Earth. Bringing it up only to use it not to try and get the oceans back I hope or that might evaporate to space too.

posted on Aug, 12 2024 @ 07:01 PM
link   

edit on 8/12/2024 by Flyingclaydisk because: Can't prove

posted on Aug, 12 2024 @ 07:11 PM
link   
There are areas of mars that reach 70 degrees during part of the Martian year. That's t shirt weather. (You'd still need a space suit though)

There are photos from NASA showing liquid water flowing down the sides of craters.

Also there are photos of NASA rovers where it really looks like the wheels just rolled through mud.

The Phoenix lander even captured it snowing.

posted on Aug, 12 2024 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: 5thHead
There are areas of mars that reach 70 degrees during part of the Martian year. That's t shirt weather. (You'd still need a space suit though)

There are photos from NASA showing liquid water flowing down the sides of craters.

Also there are photos of NASA rovers where it really looks like the wheels just rolled through mud.

The Phoenix lander even captured it snowing.

I thought that snow was CO2 but I am not certain. The issue for water is there is no longer and atmosphere to keep gases trapped on Mars. It has to be solids to last long as water.

posted on Aug, 12 2024 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

You may be right about the snow. It's been so long I can't remember. I mainly remember the gate keepers trying to pretend it wasn't happening at all.

The photos of the craters with water flowing down show the crater then dark streaks begin to form running down and then they dry up and look normal again.

Anyway, I guess my point is that the OP seems in line with this. There is water underground and occasionally it seeps out.

posted on Aug, 12 2024 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

Inhabited by 2200. They'll live in bubbles and have to pay for air as a utility. And they are going to get sick of greenhouse vegan sh*t. The lab-grown meat will be very expensive.

They gotta get the trip down to a few months too. Maybe a few hours?

We have to really figure out artificial mass. Like stop trying to propell our ships and work on laser tech to pull the craft exponentially faster. Tractor beams. We have to stop using liquid fuels and think of ways to make relativity our bitch. Has to be creation of artificial mass which creates a gravitational bubble that moves independent of Newton. And possibly Einstein, because he never really touched on what happens if the object creates its own attractive mass ahead of it, that results in independent exponential velocity.

Is that even real? It just seems like warp drives need to negate relativity somehow. I don't think you could beat it with light. A tractor beam would only be good to .99 the speed of light.
edit on 12-8-2024 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join