It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EV Explosion in Korea: Parking Garage Incident

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
a reply to: network dude

Oh yeah. I'm with you there. Like I said. I'm not totally sold on EV's. The people that I've spoken to that do have EV's say that the wait time during charging is not really that much of a hassle. And that they've done road trips and have just followed the route with charging stations.

However using an EV for local driving aka short trips. Is probably fine. Cold weather non withstanding.

I'd be nervous wondering if the stations I plan to stop at are both available and working, if not, then it's a problem. I don't like not being in control of a situation.

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Maybe someone made it explode? this is a conspiracy website and all..

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: starvosan

I get it. I'm not a fan of the wait to charge either. But it's not that bad if you go into the store and shop. Getting gas at Buccee's can take a good 30 mins when you factor in going inside the store for some brisket sandwiches. lol

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDuckEnergy

Checking for corrosion? I've lived in Miami most of my life. And lived about a block away from the ocean and on Miami Beach. No one checks their car for corrosion. Are you washing your car in salt water?

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 03:02 PM
link   

That would be the only issue I could foresee. Either the charger not working or some jackass pulling the plug while you're charging your car.

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Here’s a video of an e-bike battery going off in an elevator.

It looks like he is just holding it. Possible it’s over charged.

t.me...

We are seeing more and more equipment at work that are powered by Li batteries.

Our Safety guy is pulling his hair out.

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Checking for corrosion? I've lived in Miami most of my life. And lived about a block away from the ocean and on Miami Beach. No one checks their car for corrosion. Are you washing your car in salt water?

Any car person or a quick Google search will tell you when you have your car close to the ocean, you need to keep an eye on things and watch your battery close because the salt water ravages thin metal. I used to go and stay in Miami with my family all the time. Best ropa vieja of my life.

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 04:15 PM
link   

I've never done that when I lived in Miami. And my car batteries were fine. Never had a mechanic tell me that in Miami either.

The food in Miami is excellent. The ropa vieja from La Carreta on sw 8th is my favorite.

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 05:02 PM
link   

a reply to: KrustyKrab

I've seen so many melted expressway walls here in Georgia that it's not even funny. Gas cars have their issues as well.

They don't take the buildings down because they catch on fire while driving, and not while sitting for 3 days.

Network Dude beat me to it so
2nd!!!

Kudos ND

edit on 8000000423120248America/Chicago08pm8 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 05:07 PM
link   
So few cases it is laughable Grey on this one bro.

My family ran a shop working on cars when they were more prone to catch fire in the old days.

Never ever did a cold one catch fire. On the weekends while in college grinding out some pay, I drove a wrecker and worked on cars between weekend NG duty once a month. I worked on Cab's and those bad boys caught fire while they were running at the shop they were so badly kept up by misuse of the drivers.

I think most cars that catch fire, do so while being operated. If that's wrong, someone will provide a link.

I gotta say that while EV's are more prone to catch fire while parked. It's not unheard of for a car to catch on fire while parked.

SUV spontaneously combusts in driveway

EV's seem like a great idea for city folks. But those who travel in rural areas, it's not so good, as the range is limited.

Personally I don't like EV's for now. It's going to take another decade or two for me to be convinced that EV's are the way to go.

As for the ranges of cars. The ranges are comparable to a gas powered vehicle. If you lived in a rural area, as long as you had a fast charger at home, you can make a 50 mile round trip to the store without an issue. And if your trip was to a Target, for example, they have chargers in the parking lot. So you can charge up there and keep going.

[snipped]

edit on Thu Aug 8 2024 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: grey580

and if you have 400 miles of driving to do, best pack a lunch. And make sure you recharge in a place that has plenty of stations. Oh, and make sure you don't live in a cold environment. As I said, they have their place, but they also have some major drawbacks, depending on the venue.

They don't like ocean water too much. At sea the ships have caught fire and they have rules that make it where only so many batteries are allowed making it hard to make a profit sending thousands to 'murica.

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011
EVs are like my butthole...you never know when they may explode lol

Dang glad that tea was down the hatch when I read this one!

edit on 8000000133120248America/Chicago08pm8 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

It's not about the number of cases. It's that it can happen. Not that it will never happen. And yes the number is low. NFIRS says that between 2013 and 2017 there was an average of 110K + fires. Something like .04 percent of cars.

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Considering the water required to put out an EV fire vs an ICE, its like comparing apples and hand grenades.

*Shrugs* but you do you..ill keep my ICE.

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Th ICE has come a long way. I remember when 100k miles was pretty much all you could expect out of one. Now it’s all the freaking gadgets and electronics failing that cripple your vehicle.

As far as Li battery fires are concerned it’s not just EVs. It’s everything from Samsung phones to E-bikes that go poof.

The dangers of petroleum fires can be identified and mitigated, the batteries, not so much.

It would be interesting to know the percentage of ICE vehicles that burn until all that’s left is a husk and a melted crater in the asphalt.

edit on 8-8-2024 by NorthOS because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Mate you spent all this time and breath trying to argue for EV's .

and you are quite right EV's are decades from where they need to be and the Truth is EV's will never make it that far .

Do you know why ? Hydrogen Fuel Cells.

That is the wave of the future. EV's are a middle technology doomed to die or live in mediocrity.

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: asabuvsobelow

EV technology would make more sense if they put effort into developing Sodium Ion instead of Lithium Ion batteries. Even from an ecological perspective.

ETA.

cleantechnica.com...

Electric Cars Powered By Sodium Ion Batteries Go On Sale In China

They’re supposed to be safer.

Either way, at 40 below, I’ll put my life in the hands of my gas guzzler.

edit on 8-8-2024 by NorthOS because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: asabuvsobelow

Mate you spent all this time and breath trying to argue for EV's .

and you are quite right EV's are decades from where they need to be and the Truth is EV's will never make it that far .

Do you know why ? Hydrogen Fuel Cells.

That is the wave of the future. EV's are a middle technology doomed to die or live in mediocrity.

I have old threads I started to prove to Phage that H2 powered motors work. Fuel cells for most things, but not auto's. Need to use the H2 gas on demand. My College long after I left to work in the world build one about 30 years ago now (yes I am old). The car was ignored by Nissan who helped produce it. It is the best idea ever for H2 but no one will manufacture a car you could fill up with a water hose. My career in Env Chemistry field I have shared it with lots of Gov/EPA types who agree with me but they say their hands are tied. Yea,, pfffpth. Someone up high wants oil for taxation and just pretend. I would expect they have sabotaged ideas like H2 and good solar panels.

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 10:33 PM
link   
x.com... 4 people injured and one died ..anyone who looks can see this is a big deal... so up to you if you want to put a fire bomb in your garage while never knowing when it just may go boom and catch fire...

another one up in smoke house included .. youtu.be...

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: NorthOS
a reply to: asabuvsobelow

EV technology would make more sense if they put effort into developing Sodium Ion instead of Lithium Ion batteries. Even from an ecological perspective.

My post above this one I pointed out someone wants to sabotage ideas that go away from oil. I have a theory on why besides taxes. I think it was so they could pump money into Jihad types who own oil. Money launder AND fund wars in all 4 corners of the Earth.

edit on 8000000223120248America/Chicago08pm8 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join