It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EV Explosion in Korea: Parking Garage Incident

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 02:25 AM
link   
The vehicle had been parked for 3 days and was not being charged when it decided to catch fire and destroy everything around it. As with many things it seems there is a rush to market before the bugs are worked out; this was a Mercedes electric vehicle that caught fire.

A terrifying incident occurred in Korea on August 1, 2024, as an electric vehicle exploded in an underground parking garage, injuring multiple people and damaging over 140 cars. Watch the security footage revealing how quickly the fire spread and learn about the critical safety measures that failed. Discover the truth about lithium-ion battery hazards and what can be done to prevent future tragedies.]

youtu.be...

edit on Thu Aug 8 2024 by DontTreadOnMe because: Attempt to fix BB code

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Wait till you hear about gasoline!

+22 more 
posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 05:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Euronymous2625
Wait till you hear about gasoline!
That’s a myth ICE’s aren’t spontaneously combusting. The EV market keeps using the lie that more of them catch on fire and it’s a big lie. They’re not catching on fire because they’re gas, it’s because of electrical issues, brake issues where they short out, which was the case with all of the KIA and Hyundai ICE’s. They’d have caught on fire regardless of if they were EV or ICE. You’d think people would do the research before spreading propaganda put out by EV manufacturers, UGHHH. Everybody’s a parrot now, drives me nuts.

EV’s are worthless garbage in so many ways.

edit on 8-8-2024 by KrustyKrab because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I don't think auto insurance and building insurance is going to cover electric vehicles much longer. Too risky.

In this case, the car manufacturer or battery manufacturer is responsible for fire starting but the building owner is responsible for the fire spreading. I don't see the buildings insurer paying off because of the sprinklers not working. The building owner is probably out of business now.

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: KrustyKrab

I've seen so many melted expressway walls here in Georgia that it's not even funny. Gas cars have their issues as well.

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

I've seen so many melted expressway walls here in Georgia that it's not even funny. Gas cars have their issues as well.

I think most cars that catch fire, do so while being operated. If that's wrong, someone will provide a link. But the EV fires seem to happen when the vehicle is parked. If it was in the garage, the house burns and people might die. I am not sure why this is a partisan issue, but I suppose everything is now.

EV's seem like a great idea for city folks. But those who travel in rural areas, it's not so good, as the range is limited. That's not political, just fact.

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Gas vehicles do have issues. The problem with EVs is where it is being charged or parked since the can erupt in fire at anytime or any place.
Even electric scooters and bikes have become a problem due to being charged in people's apartments.

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I think most cars that catch fire, do so while being operated. If that's wrong, someone will provide a link.

I gotta say that while EV's are more prone to catch fire while parked. It's not unheard of for a car to catch on fire while parked.

SUV spontaneously combusts in driveway

EV's seem like a great idea for city folks. But those who travel in rural areas, it's not so good, as the range is limited.

Personally I don't like EV's for now. It's going to take another decade or two for me to be convinced that EV's are the way to go.

As for the ranges of cars. The ranges are comparable to a gas powered vehicle. If you lived in a rural area, as long as you had a fast charger at home, you can make a 50 mile round trip to the store without an issue. And if your trip was to a Target, for example, they have chargers in the parking lot. So you can charge up there and keep going.

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

and if you have 400 miles of driving to do, best pack a lunch. And make sure you recharge in a place that has plenty of stations. Oh, and make sure you don't live in a cold environment. As I said, they have their place, but they also have some major drawbacks, depending on the venue.

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I'm really quite curious about the toxicity of the fire, for electric vs. gas.

Seems like the electric would be way worse?

Personally, I wouldn't own an electric if it was given to me.

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 09:21 AM
link   
EVs are like my butthole...you never know when they may explode lol

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

People really need to stop comparing EV fires to gas fires.

Those batteries burn at 5000 degrees and are extremely difficult to stop. Throw in the cobalt and lithium in the smoke and it's a toxic nightmare.

Yeah, gas cars might actually catch fire more often..
But ask a firefighter which one they would prefer to encounter.

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Hybrid
heheh the best of both worlds

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

That's one way to look at it..😂

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Just because they’re ICE doesn’t mean that they’re catching on fire because they’re gas. Most of the ICE fires are electrical issues not as a direct result of gas.

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Oh yeah. I'm with you there. Like I said. I'm not totally sold on EV's. The people that I've spoken to that do have EV's say that the wait time during charging is not really that much of a hassle. And that they've done road trips and have just followed the route with charging stations.

However using an EV for local driving aka short trips. Is probably fine. Cold weather non withstanding.

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

bruh, lay off the Taco Bell.

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 10:25 AM
link   

The point is that gas cars can catch on fires for a variety of reasons. Not that they never catch fire.

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 11:33 AM
link   

And if your trip was to a Target, for example, they have chargers in the parking lot. So you can charge up there and keep going.

But that's the point. Because no, you don't just 'keep going.' You wait, and wait, and wait....

posted on Aug, 8 2024 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Oh yeah. I'm with you there. Like I said. I'm not totally sold on EV's. The people that I've spoken to that do have EV's say that the wait time during charging is not really that much of a hassle. And that they've done road trips and have just followed the route with charging stations.

However using an EV for local driving aka short trips. Is probably fine. Cold weather non withstanding.

When I was a teenager, my best friend's parents had a midlife crisis, sold everything, and moved into their house at New Symerna Beach, at that time the beach most of the north orlando metro locals would go for their beach trips, so I basically lived there half the year. Living near Salt water makes you do things differently, like checking your car constantly for corrosion once a week. I can't imagine living near the beach with an EV.

That isn't to say they don't have their use, but every kind of vehicle I have had of both gas and electric, the gas one has won out (car, golf cart, moped).

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join