It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun violence a public health crisis

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2024 @ 12:06 PM
link   
apnews.com...

The U.S. Surgeon General has declared gun violence a public health crisis.

This is an interesting stance to take. Especially since the FBI statistics have violent crimes going down.

This is similar to what the Governor of New Mexico tried last year.

www.abqjournal.com...

This isn't a public HEALTH issue but a public SAFETY issue. I think they're trying to conflate the two.

I think they're trying to mix gun rights into Healthcare.

Get everyone on healthcare, then alter healthcare laws to include gun rights.

Imagine if the NRA was sponsored by Big Pharma. You can't have a gun until you pass a mental evaluation.

Whose to say what's crazy then?
Oh, you believe in God?
Sounds crazy. No gun for you.

Again, it's a public SAFETY issue not a public HEALTH issue.

I expect some mental gymnastics painting the narrative that, stress and fear of gun violence may take a public psychological health toll but so does money.

Americans more than likely put their mental health at risk worrying about money more than guns.

Is the Surgeon General going to recommend a universal basic income?

What I would do is offer Americans a tax cut for being properly trained to handle a firearm.

Get a concealed handgun license or take a firearm class and get 2% taken off your income taxes or something.

A society more properly educated in handling firearms would easily improve safety.

posted on Jun, 26 2024 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTophat

If only they cared as much about what is in our food as much as they cared about keeping guns out of lawful individuals hands.......

posted on Jun, 26 2024 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

If they did that, they would be putting all of their buddies out of a job. Can't have that

posted on Jun, 26 2024 @ 12:23 PM
link   

It may as well have been written by gun grabber orgs. It probably was.

Claiming guns are the number 1 killer of children. But excluding infants age 0 - 1yr Olds while adding 18 & 19yr Olds.

Complete fear mongering BS. We can always count on the government to spread the most misinformation.

posted on Jun, 26 2024 @ 12:24 PM
link   

It's about giving the federal government emergency powers right before the election.

posted on Jun, 26 2024 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Practically every gun control law in California is based off of them using the California health and safety code as justification and the 9th circuit obviously wholeheartedly agrees.

It's just so surreal that there is seriously an all out war on the Bill of Rights and for the most part, the citizenry is mostly "unmoved" about it.

The supreme court has already been shown to be inconsequential to swamp mandated bullet points, as Jobama, Inc. "forgave" student loans anyway as you might recall. That was the signal that should have rung the heads off the citizens but nope. STILL everything is fine....

🤷🏻You get what you get.

posted on Jun, 26 2024 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I saw this on the news this morning and thought, WTH?

Why doesn't this guy stick with what he already doesn't know, about the actual bad food and pharma?

I don't think guns are his department.

posted on Jun, 26 2024 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom

I don't think guns are his department.

Guns are not in any of their departments.

I mean FFS, the head of the ATF doesn't even know how to disassemble a Glock. One would think that you should at least know the bare minimum to be able to hold that position.

posted on Jun, 26 2024 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I think this is an important topic to discuss. Let's look at where the majority of gun violence happens, and who is doing the shooting. Then we can focus on the problem areas first. Is that fair?

posted on Jun, 26 2024 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Those that don't know the truth, don't want to.

We are all well aware that the Blue cities, and the populous of those cities, are the ones responsible for the majority of gun violence in this country.

posted on Jun, 26 2024 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Fear mongering for sure

Interesting Read

Abortions Kill 20 Times More People Than Guns - LINK

Who kills more: abortions or gun violence? - LINK

Gun control vs MEDICATION control - LINK

Do Doctors Kill More Than Guns? - LINK

posted on Jun, 26 2024 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
I think this is an important topic to discuss. Let's look at where the majority of gun violence happens, and who is doing the shooting. Then we can focus on the problem areas first. Is that fair?

The dirty secret is that we don't really have a gun violence problem, we have a young black male problem. This demographic is responsible for the vast majority of gun violence.

posted on Jun, 26 2024 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

It may as well have been written by gun grabber orgs. It probably was.

Claiming guns are the number 1 killer of children. But excluding infants age 0 - 1yr Olds while adding 18 & 19yr Olds.

Complete fear mongering BS. We can always count on the government to spread the most misinformation.

It is a misleading claim. However, it is the number one cause of deaths for black youths. However, if you strip out that demographic, it isn't. It is things like cancer and drownings.

posted on Jun, 26 2024 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

As we all know that's the case, I am confused about why nobody want's to talk about it or try to fix it. Or is this not about saving lives, but scoring political points?

posted on Jun, 26 2024 @ 02:32 PM
link   

People need to stay in their lane! Surgeon General, NIH, Judges, and so many more. There are so many people talking smack way outside their lanes anymore it's pathetic!

Specifically to the OP..."Gun violence is a Public Health crisis???" How about just "violence is a Public Health crisis"...ANY violence, ALL violence!

posted on Jun, 26 2024 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: Edumakated

As we all know that's the case, I am confused about why nobody want's to talk about it or try to fix it. Or is this not about saving lives, but scoring political points?

Because it doesn't fit the political and social narrative...

posted on Jun, 26 2024 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Blaming violence on guns is not appropriate. It seems that lack of respect for fellow americans is what is the problem. It is not just guns, people are lashing out at anyone who does not believe in the things they believe in. We all have our rights to believe in things, but it does not give us the right to shove our beliefs down others throats. I see our society falling apart and often the ones who start the conflict are not the ones punished for the result of the conflict.

posted on Jun, 26 2024 @ 02:48 PM
link   
You can’t confiscate violence and it is guns people are predicted to turn to when it becomes common public knowledge that cancer is the second biggest threat to public health and WHO;what is behind the increase in cancer deaths.

a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

posted on Jun, 26 2024 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Now they can confiscate firearms.

Anyone remember mask mandates?

posted on Jun, 26 2024 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Combined with the recent SCOTUS ruling of loss of second amendment rights via a restraining order.....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join