It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lockheed Martin Shows Off Mysterious Aircraft, Igniting Speculation

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2023 @ 04:14 PM
link   
LOCKHEED MARTIN SHOWS OFF MYSTERIOUS AIRCRAFT, IGNITING SPECULATION IT COULD BE COMPANY’S SECRET NEXT-GEN FIGHTER

Well they really didn't show a plane. Lockhead made an instagram story, view here, where they are celebrating 80 years and showed off a few silhouettes of past planes. However the final silhouette was a plane that's not been seen before. Speculation that it's the silhouette of NGAD. It just might just be the LM silhouette of the full-scale flight demonstrator that was tested in 2020. We will see.

The Aviationist also has a story about this.
edit on 5-7-2023 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/6/2023 by semperfortis because: Corrected all CAPS

posted on Jul, 5 2023 @ 04:28 PM
link   
There's some interesting math done on the shape. This may be something rather interesting.

posted on Jul, 5 2023 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Back engineered alien stuff finally being shown to the public.

posted on Jul, 5 2023 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

Back engineered alien stuff finally being shown to the public.

Or Black-Ops developments disguised as alien craft finally being revealed.

posted on Jul, 5 2023 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Blended wing tail-less hybrid SCRAM????

posted on Jul, 5 2023 @ 05:31 PM
link   
The shape reminds me of a manta ray shape and it looks like that shape may be the way of the future.

A design for the cruise ship of the future, called "The City of Meriens," does not look like that at all. It's more like a gigantic steel manta ray, which might just be the shape of things to come with regards to floating cities and luxurious cruise ships.

www.businessinsider.com...

posted on Jul, 5 2023 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I would love to see the side cross-section of this thing.

I wonder if it is wedge shaped in the back also.

posted on Jul, 5 2023 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Is it me or is this the same craft that graces the cover of Aviation Week & Space Technology, June 5, 2023??

All I found was “artist rendering of LM aircraft…” with no other explanation or designation.

Anyway, it did make me stop and read the article!

If nothing else, cool “concept”!!

ETA: AWST archive, June 5
edit on 5-7-2023 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: Add linky

posted on Jul, 5 2023 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Don’t let the shape fool you. The shape and aerodynamics have been around since the 70’s 80’s.

It’s what’s under the hood that is interesting/matters.

posted on Jul, 5 2023 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Honestly.... all this plane stuff is becoming a drag.... i reckon they should just give us a goddamn big black triangle already!

posted on Jul, 5 2023 @ 07:09 PM
link   

So it does appear there are secrets and there is a lot going on.

It has been officially disclosed that an NGAD demonstrator has been in flight testing for some time and has shown great promise, although the nature of this program remains widely misunderstood in the press. It is a family of systems, which will include long-range penetrating and possibly other unmanned combat air vehicles alongside what will likely be an optionally manned very-low observable platform that puts an emphasis on regional endurance and a sizeable payload, not high maneuverability, along with the latest in networking and sensor capabilities. This central tactical jet design could even come in two wing configurations.

These optionally manned and unmanned NGAD platforms will be developed together with a number of ancillary technologies that will enable them to fight cooperatively. So the idea that NGAD is a new 'fighter' seems to be more of a legacy term used for familiarity's sake than accuracy. In fact, the manned portion of the program will likely need a new descriptor altogether, although tradition may stand in the way of that happening.

That is just one secretive program that we know exists and generally matches the description, but there are many others underway we do not know any firm details about. Area 51 has multiple programs of varying sophistication and maturity underway at any given time. Those related to high-speed flight and unmanned capabilities are very likely what's keeping the facility the busiest these days, as well as continued work in general low observable aircraft flight test and foreign materiel exploitation (FME) initiatives.

www.thedrive.com...

There's a picture of China's W-8 in the link above.

Separately, China has pushed ahead with its own high-speed unmanned concepts, including the air-launched, rocket-powered WZ-8. That aircraft is also a delta-shaped design, although with large and very abrupt winglets. The WZ-8 is much smaller and has a more pure delta design than whatever we are seeing in the satellite image of Area 51.

posted on Jul, 5 2023 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

There's always a lot going on. Groom has expanded a lot in recent years, and they're looking to grab more land around the base to push people back farther.

posted on Jul, 5 2023 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: combatmaster

I hope that day comes too!

I would love to see an XR-42 float out of a hanger (experimental-recon, and the answer to life, the universe and everything!)

PS - I would settle for a CFR T-5/6 update at this point!!

posted on Jul, 5 2023 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

There's always a lot going on. Groom has expanded a lot in recent years, and they're looking to grab more land around the base to push people back farther.

As these aircraft rely more heavily on satellite signals won't that then usher in advanced military technology to protect said satellites?

posted on Jul, 5 2023 @ 08:00 PM
link   
One thing that stands out like a sore thumb is why these advanced aircraft still needs a human onboard. It means that our computers and IA aren't good enough yet for fully unmanned autonomous combat aircraft. That or the cockpit is cover, which I doubt.

posted on Jul, 5 2023 @ 08:14 PM
link   

It’s actually ushering in new navigation systems that are taking them away from being reliant on satellite navigation. There are satellite protection plans but they’re going to be a little ways off.

posted on Jul, 5 2023 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: 38181

Actually they’ve found a few interesting things as aircraft have evolved that makes a human in the cockpit the better solution for specific missions.

posted on Jul, 5 2023 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Darkstar from top gun looks a little like this,except wing shape and finless.

posted on Jul, 5 2023 @ 09:08 PM
link   

We've got this in the 6th gen thread, too, btw.

Glad to see you're still around, also.

posted on Jul, 5 2023 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Exhaust nozzle edge appears to have stealth treatment. Perhaps a new design?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join