It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just saw the most ridiculous Job Posting

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 08:39 AM
link   
There is a job for a tourist attraction.

This job requires the applicant to have a specialized degree.
This job required the applicant to be able to lift at least 75lbs
This job requires the applicant to relocated to a certain zip code (with their own funds)

The best part, the pay is a whopping $14 an hour….

It’s a joke right. NOPE, they are dead serious.
I understand why people would rather not work, come up with a bogus “illness” and collect benefits.
What these places are offering is absolutely insanity.

What I’m wondering, is who did these jobs before? Obviously, someone had to do them?
Are those people retired now, were they illegals? (Yes believe it or not some illegals or undocumented have more education than you would believe). Are they completely new positions (I doubt it). Are these positions that are two combined now.

What really strikes me is the degree requirement. Who in their right mind would get a degree to only earn 14 an hour.

Are we in a painful phase where boomers are retiring in droves. They were OK to take these low wages because their mortgages were so low or paid off? Something is amiss.

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 08:46 AM
link   
We have interns selling extermination and lawn services door-to-door, here.

Last week, I had a solicitor kid come to my door. It's his first time in Wisconsin. He's 18, from SLC and attends BYU. This is his "summer internship", selling Aptive Extermination services door-to-door.

Wtf?
edit on 25-5-2023 by SourGrapes because: Darn spelling

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
There is a job for a tourist attraction.

This job requires the applicant to have a specialized degree.
This job required the applicant to be able to lift at least 75lbs
This job requires the applicant to relocated to a certain zip code (with their own funds)

The best part, the pay is a whopping $14 an hour….

It’s a joke right. NOPE, they are dead serious.
I understand why people would rather not work, come up with a bogus “illness” and collect benefits.
What these places are offering is absolutely insanity.

What I’m wondering, is who did these jobs before? Obviously, someone had to do them?
Are those people retired now, were they illegals? (Yes believe it or not some illegals or undocumented have more education than you would believe). Are they completely new positions (I doubt it). Are these positions that are two combined now.

What really strikes me is the degree requirement. Who in their right mind would get a degree to only earn 14 an hour.

Are we in a painful phase where boomers are retiring in droves. They were OK to take these low wages because their mortgages were so low or paid off? Something is amiss.

"This job required the applicant to be able to lift at least 75lbs"

www.osha.gov...

This could be a violation of NIOSH standards and OSHA per the general duty clause.

Individuals in the workplace lifting over 50 lbs individually should use two people or a manual material handling device.

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: panoz2177

That is interesting and I thought that amount of weight sounded crazy!

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Most places will require a degree simply because someone with one is considered more "job ready" and "capable" than one without. It also tends to keep those without degrees from applying, assuming they will automatically be disqualified. Once you get to the interview your experience will speak louder than any piece of paper.

$14/hour is a pretty generous starting wage considering the Federal minimum is $7.25.

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 08:54 AM
link   
When I was a kid starting out, getting $5 a day was good. Now $30 an hour is keeps the tools running. The AUD is different from the USD on the food front. My last good shop +$300 for half a trolley.

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 08:59 AM
link   

I think that workplace politics is playing a role here. Say person has a buddy who needs a job. His boss says, post the job, let buddy compete. Person posts this ad, lo and behold no applicants.

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: billxam

I think that workplace politics is playing a role here. Say person has a buddy who needs a job. His boss says, post the job, let buddy compete. Person posts this ad, lo and behold no applicants.

It has to be something like that because nobody in their right mind would do that kind of job for that pay.
Both a labor and an educational requirement?!

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 09:09 AM
link   
lol 14$

They have us convinced that 20 or 25 an hour is good money . its not good money

Work by the job and you will make 100s of dollars an hour.

You can wax floors and make great money if you learn how .Dont work for someone else

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: cmdrkeenkid

Most places will require a degree simply because someone with one is considered more "job ready" and "capable" than one without. It also tends to keep those without degrees from applying, assuming they will automatically be disqualified. Once you get to the interview your experience will speak louder than any piece of paper.

$14/hour is a pretty generous starting wage considering the Federal minimum is $7.25.

$14 is absolutely not generous and since I’m a bean counter let me break it down.
That is about 1894 monthly working full time (taxes take out) This does not included health care, 401k or anything else.

If you live in a decent sized town/city the average for (Madison is 1600, Milwaukee is 1300) So we’ll say rent is 1450.

1894 monthly salary minus 1450 leaves you with 444 a month to take care of transportation, food, clothing, utilities.

I don’t know about you, but 444 a month is the farthest thing I would call generous…

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 09:21 AM
link   

$14 an hour is what the lowest paid jobs at Walmart start at.

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

What??? Oh cmon..

If I called you and said hey bro I need your help with my lawn for about an hour . So drive over here and I will give you 14 bucks

You would just laugh . But somehow they have people convinced thats its a decent wage

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 09:27 AM
link   
The hourly wage and the monthly bill are some of the biggest scams ever

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 09:31 AM
link   

The Federal minimum wage is $7.25. From a quick Google, the minimum wage in Wisconsin (your example) is the same. How is nearly double that not generous?

Per RentHop the average studio apartment in Milwaukee for May 2023 is $750/month. Using your math, that's $750 leftover for utilities, transportation, and food.

Is it a lot? No. Is it liveable? Could go either way. A good been counter wouldn't live beyond their means.

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: soundsofmadness
If I called you and said hey bro I need your help with my lawn for about an hour . So drive over here and I will give you 14 bucks

You would just laugh . But somehow they have people convinced thats its a decent wage

Depends. Do you have beer?

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 09:36 AM
link   

The Federal minimum wage is $7.25. From a quick Google, the minimum wage in Wisconsin (your example) is the same. How is nearly double that not generous?

Per RentHop the average studio apartment in Milwaukee for May 2023 is $750/month. Using your math, that's $750 leftover for utilities, transportation, and food.

Is it a lot? No. Is it liveable? Could go either way. A good been counter wouldn't live beyond their means.

Living beyond ones means and trying to live without reasonable resources is two different things.
Federal minimum wage is a joke. The thing is, we have to go by two things, Housing and food, and then transportation. These are the bare minimums. Can minimum wage cover those things? Absolutely not. Based on averages, you would be in the negative in Wisconsin. That’s not being irresponsible. In Wisconsin, that pretty much means you would be homeless.

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman

originally posted by: soundsofmadness

Depends. Do you have beer?

Yes but it will be deducted from your check.

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: soundsofmadness

We pay our lawn service $90/month. They have a crew of three people, taking them about an hour, each week. They cut, edge, trim trees, fertilize, and maintain our sprinkler system.

So it's equivalent to twelve hours of work every month for that $90. That works out to $7.50/hour. You'd be overpaying.

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 09:40 AM
link   

This is why people get second or third jobs. Or work to advance themselves in their careers. Basic burger flipping and cashier jobs were never meant to support a family or lavish lifestyle. It's lazy to think that should be the case.

posted on May, 25 2023 @ 09:42 AM
link   

No, it's not a lot. Livable? No, not for an actual adult (presumably this is a job for adults, the requirement for a degree and all). The minimum wage hasn't kept pace with inflation.

It's crazy how theres this perception that young people don't have work ethic yet my industry is almost completely dominated by young people - that get paid non poverty wages.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join