It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Covid & The Smokers Paradox

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

Putting two and two together - the ban on smoking in bars. Did a number on the blue collar white working class insofar as a place to congregate and talk about issues of the day without all that PC crap bleeding in. Then, ban smoking in bars and they all become cookie-cutter gastropubs and craft breweries teeming with social justice warriors and co-op cretins. I live in a bar town and it's been annihilated. SO many bars closed down, two I know of are already razed and plans for a high rise high rent apartment tower (yet another one, rolls eyes) to go up. It's all part and parcel of the destruction of white culture and the middle class. It's a humiliation tactic and it's working.

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

i am canadian. are there states laws requiring the use of seat belts.

every state in the U.S. has seat belt laws except one. the majority you can be pulled over for not wearing them, some only for under certain age, others only if pull over for another reason.

And did anti-tobacco campaigners use seat belt laws to justify ant-tobacco laws on the basis of need to protect public health?

if you mean did they say their doing it to save lives just like we did seat belt laws, no. but they did say that they were doing to save lives.

truth be known, they were/ passed for the same reason most laws are, it benefited big some industry. in this case just like obuma care the insurance industry.

side note, here in Florida, when they first passed the law.

there was a bumper sticker that said,

Bumper sticker advocating the death penalty for Theodore Bundy.

but guess what, that was before the offensive bumper sticker law.

edit on 19-2-2023 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

ETA: I also heard that after his execution there was another that said, Did You Know Ted Bundy StopPed Smoking
never saw one and can't find one on the net.

edit on 19-2-2023 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

anecdotal evidence but ive been high since I was 17 every day
and have only ever had a flu once my entire life

didnt get covid and rarely get the cold.

ive given up now at age 40 so we shall see how I fair in future

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: thegeneraldisarray

Putting two and two together - the ban on smoking in bars. Did a number on the blue collar white working class insofar as a place to congregate and talk about issues of the day without all that PC crap bleeding in. Then, ban smoking in bars and they all become cookie-cutter gastropubs and craft breweries teeming with social justice warriors and co-op cretins. I live in a bar town and it's been annihilated. SO many bars closed down, two I know of are already razed and plans for a high rise high rent apartment tower (yet another one, rolls eyes) to go up. It's all part and parcel of the destruction of white culture and the middle class. It's a humiliation tactic and it's working.

Interesting, I had given credibility to the idea that the COVID lock downs were a way to eliminate the brick and mortar Mom and Pops stores while giving big retail stores and Amazon a huge opportunity for massive profits. But what you're saying is that they had it out for the local pubs as well. They didn't want anyone to have a corner bar like Cheers and rather have it replaced with a snobbery for wealthy progressive liberals.

A form of gentrification that kicks out the middle class along with the low income folks only to make way for the wealthy class. At the time I had thought that bars and restaurants were places that could have super spreader events occur and so that reasoning made sense. Now that you bring this up, it does expand on my thoughts quite a bit, thanks.

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity
a reply to: teapot

It has been called the Asian paradox and the French paradox. This seems to suggest that everything that has been blamed on smoking, in reality, is diet, I am not suggesting that chain-smoking is healthy, but if you look at the general health of the population before and after the smoking bans and the ridiculous price they are charging for a pack of smokes. It is about the same as before and after mandated vaccines. Just a continuous raft of # ups.

Some time ago, there was a study (UK) that revealed people were more likely (cannot recall exact data) to die of 'passive' smoking related diseases if they lived within a 15 mile radius of any nuclear processing plant.

The study was briefly reported in mainstream newspapers and then pulled. (I have looked online and not found it)

Soon after began the massive anti-smoking campaign. Popular entertainer, Roy Castle, a non smoker with lung cancer, was rolled out to tell us all how smoking was selfish and killing people. He said his cancer was because of decades entertaining people in working men's clubs and inhaling second hand smoke from the audience.

This, among other reasons, is why I do not subscribe to incompetency theories about these f-ups. I believe the PTB and their controllers know exactly what they are doing and are set in their agendas, scapegoating whomsoever is a convenient mark and using the techniques of the propaganda machine to shape and control public opinion.

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: teapot

I seemed to remember something about nuclear plants, I also remember that people living on the flight paths to airports were more prone to get sick. When you think of pollution electro magnetic etc, they are probably hard on the human body but seemed to be considered necessary in the modern age, add in stress. So to keep the profits flowing blaming something else would be a good ploy, until of course it was evident that the blamed thing had nothing to do with the illness.

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Nicotine and caffeine have long been understood to regulate ACE2 expression / receptors in a poorly understood manner that makes it less likely for someone to contract SARS2. Among informed cohorts who recognize or have participated in the pharma lobby to NIH to insurance pipeline, the nicotine effect has been widely accepted since Summer of 2020. The caffeine effect studied perhaps a year later.

There’s some evidence that if you smoke AND still get SARS2 it may cause a worse course — but this is more likely a correlation caused by comorbitity overlap with smoking, as the effect is not observable in younger / active / healthier smokers.

Personally, I smoked the past 3 years, never got SARS2 except possibly once from a mRNA Shot participant, but it was so mild (fever, chills, mild cough for 24 hours) that I was actually smoking cigarettes within 36 hours of infection (if it was SARS2) and gave zero consideration to seeking testing or treatment. It was less impactful than any flu and any other illness I have ever experienced.

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: thegeneraldisarray

Learning which bars in your area ignore and have always ignored smoking bans is a great way to find like minded people.

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks
a reply to: incoserv

You are correct sir! Seat belt laws set the precedence for anti-tobacco laws.

There are no US Federal government laws regarding seat belts.

That has nothing to do with the discussion. The rules have been implemented nationwide at the behest of the federal gov't. Yor point is moot.

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

anecdotal evidence but ive been high since I was 17 every day
and have only ever had a flu once my entire life

didnt get covid and rarely get the cold.

ive given up now at age 40 so we shall see how I fair in future

Yeah, I don't get the flu like everyone else does either. When I get the flu (which is about every year), I get the major exhaustion, sleep for 15 or 20 hours and am a bit tired the next day..... that's it. I don't get anything else, no fever, no chest problems, etc.

posted on Feb, 19 2023 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnTitorSociety

THANK YOU! I had not heard anything about Caffeine and Covid 19. I just looked it up, yes, there is a bunch of articles on it. Well, double whammy because not only do I smoke but I drink about 8 cups of full strength coffee a day.

A factor of x50! Seriously, how is this not front page news!

Why is this chlorogenic acid not a treatment for covid 19? A factor of 50??? WTH

phys.org...

The team led by chemist Professor Nikolai Kuhnert, including Dorothea Schmidt and Nicholas Ohl of Jacobs University, was able to show experimentally—in the laboratory—that the chemical compound 5-caffeoylquinic acid (trivial name: chlorogenic acid), which is found in coffee, inhibits the interaction by a factor of 50 between the SARS CoV-2 spike protein of the coronavirus and the ACE-2 receptor, the docking site for the virus on the human cell.

A regular cup of filter coffee—in the laboratory setting, it comprises exactly 200 milliliters—contains about 100 milligrams of 5-caffeoylquinic acid. Experiments in the laboratory showed that 5-caffeoylquinic acid in this concentration is high enough to prevent the docking of the spike protein to the ACE-2 receptor—and therefore also inhibit the infection process. To prove that this process works in practice as well, further research is required.

Scientists Discover How Coffee May Be Inhibiting COVID-19 Infection

sprudge.com...

Even more confounding? There are people who haven’t gotten it. People with petri dishes for children, folks going about their merry way seemingly unscathed. So what gives? What’s their secret? Well, it may be coffee. New research finds that drinking coffee be acting as a deterrent for the coronavirus.

We’ve reported previously on a study linking coffee consumption and decreased instances of COVID-19, with the researchers suggesting perhaps that it was the antioxidant properties of coffee leading to the lowered case count (because that’s often the answer in these coffee and healthfulness studies). For this new study, published recently in the journal Food & Function, researchers from Jacobs University in Bremen, Germany were able to show, in a lab setting at least, exactly how coffee could inhibit coronavirus infection.

As reported by Phys.org, for the study, researchers examined one particular chemical compound found in coffee, 5-caffeoylquinic acid, known more colloquially as chlorogenic acid. In experiments, they found that chlorogenic acid worked to prevent the spike protein of SARS CoV-2 from binding to the ACE-2 receptor, “the docking site of the virus on the human cell.” And in fact, chlorogenic acid preventing the binding of the spike protein by a factor of 50. Unable to attach to the human cell, the virus is infect and spread.

Possible Beneficial Actions of Caffeine in SARS-CoV-2

pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Caffeine has been proven to be an effective anti-inflammatory and immunomodulator. In airway smooth muscle, it has bronchodilator effects mainly due to its activity as a phosphodiesterase inhibitor and adenosine receptor antagonist. In addition, a recent published document has suggested the potential antiviral activity of this drug using in silico molecular dynamics and molecular docking; in this regard, caffeine might block the viral entrance into host cells by inhibiting the formation of a receptor-binding domain and the angiotensin-converting enzyme complex and, additionally, might reduce viral replication by the inhibition of the activity of 3-chymotrypsin-like proteases.

Evaluation of the Effects of Caffeine, Via the ACE2 Receptor, on Clinical Severity of COVID-19 Disease

www.mayo.edu...

The purpose of this study is to assess levels of caffeine intake among patients who tested positive for COVID-19 infection and compare that to disease severity.

edit on 19-2-2023 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-2-2023 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2023 @ 11:53 AM
link   
So here I am...quit smoking because I thought it was the prudent thing to do........since then, Covid twice (first time damn near killed me)....and now I have asthma.
I felt better on a pack and 1/2 of Marlboro Lights / day

fml

edit on 20-2-2023 by LrBc1275 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2023 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: LrBc1275

what the government and anti-tobacco campaigners and bought and paid for scientists failed to take into account is that nicotine, when burned, turns into nicotine acid (vitimin b12) that is a positive influence on depression and anxiety. It is well known that smoking is the fastest and best medicene for the control of hallutionations caused by schistophrenia. one of the cruellest deprivations was to deny tobacco to mental patients.

Just a question, can a vitimin be addictive?

posted on Feb, 20 2023 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Smokers it was noticed did not get Pellagra, en.wikipedia.org... I often wonder if a lot of these conditions caused by poor diet are slightly prevalent, but not the full-blown versions like scurvy, or Iodine deficiency because of modern diets.A lot of the food today does not have the time to build up essential minerals.

posted on Feb, 20 2023 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Makes sense Pellegra is caused by a lack of nicotinic acid (vitamin b12) or Tryptophan

Notice how they put nicotinic acid in bread. Does that make bread addictive?

posted on Feb, 20 2023 @ 05:26 PM
link   
nicotine receptora reply to: infolurker

The body has nicotine receptors that are part of the antibody system. It makes perfect sense.
edit on 2/20/2023 by rightwingnurse because: dumbass

posted on Feb, 20 2023 @ 06:07 PM
link   
There is this video by Dr Ardis talking about nicotine and it's protective effects with regards to the venom that he claims is the cause of the disease. rumble.com...

posted on Feb, 20 2023 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ItsEvolutionBaby
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck
To you and the other post re: menthol cigs.
Yes, banned in Cda like 4 yrs ago, and then in the US what.. 2 years ago?
Was never really questioned except amongst smokers.. was the most inane reasoning they gave, and yes, it was to discourage the kids from smoking - apparently they were extra drawn to the "minty" tobacco.
Which as I hear is bs from anyone who smoked menthol.. was never ever cool to smoke menthol...
Why of all things ban menthol cigs? For the sake of the kids? But there's cotton candy flavoured alcohol.. every candy flavour you can think of; but thats okay.
Why menthol? Thanks as info here helps to confirm more the real reason menthol was banned.

Kinda funny isn't it? The way it works?

They'll ban menthol cigarettes, they'll tell you not to smoke, etc (I wouldn't ENCOURAGE it either, but outright ban? No.)

But they'll feed you food that will kill you so much quicker, like potato chips, cheeseburgers, deep fried chocolate bars, beyond-processed food, vegan meat, etc...

They'll sell you enough alcohol in 1 order that would easily kill you no problem.

I know people that have died of lung cancer, they were also eating garbage food and drinkers.

I eat clean Keto, have for 3 years. I smoke. I also workout every single day, and yes, it does affect your stamina, but not much. I burn 800 calories in 35 minutes and I'm winded like hell, but in damn good shape for a 42 year old. better shape than 99% of the rest of 42 year olds.

I don't think smoking on it's own is tremendously dangerous, I think it's the bad diet and the massive amount of sugar people don't even realize they are eating. Sugar is the #1 food source for Cancer. Think about it. Just look at the food packages and how many carbs + sugar is in it. It's atrocious. No wonder everyone is getting cancer.

At the turn of the 19th century, the average person ate about 12 lbs of sugar a year. Cancer wasn't an epidemic.

Now, average people eat well over 125 lbs of sugar a year, some even 200 lbs. That's a lot of empty calories with preservatives. Combine that intake with smoking and yeah, it's a bad combo.

I'm not encouraging ANYONE to smoke, because smoking combined with bad diet will probably massively increase your risk of cancer. But if you have almost no Sugar intake (for me, it's less than 12 lbs of sugar a year) I can't see how this 1 unhealthy habit of mine will really impact my chances.
edit on 20-2-2023 by mindpurge because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2023 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: mindpurge

I completely agree with everything you have said.

Chronic diseases like cancer and copd have multi-factoral diseases. For example it is now known that cervical cancer and lung cancers are caused by HPV 16 1nd 18 and throat cancer/

We were told that 95 % of lung cancers were caused by smoking.

Should we not be seeing large massive decrease in lung cancer?

posted on Feb, 21 2023 @ 09:58 AM
link   

I wonder if Radon gas has any effect on Covid. Then again we're only now beginning to learn about the nature of Covid and we've just begun to realize that what we thought we knew two years ago was completely wrong. In two years they'll be apologizing for the vaxxes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join