It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What it will look like when TSHTF

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2023 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: v1rtu0s0

Shouldn't you be heading toward the 15 minute cities? They don't have boosters in the hills.

No clue to what you mean by 15-minute cities?

posted on Feb, 10 2023 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
Yes and no. No one will survive long on their own. The odds of knowing and being capable of every task needed to survive in a post apocalypse is about zero. We all have skills and will need to pool them, also resources. Trust will be key. Those unwilling to help get nothing but in the end any group that doesn't share equally will disintegrate.
I have decades of experience in survival skills but physically can't go out and set a trap line. I can teach others to make traps. They can leave me behind but I know hundreds of edible plants and how to process them. It won't be easy, that's for damn sure.

Which is exactly why one should make at LEAST some rough plans NOW. Get off the internet and get to know your neighbors. Play some cards, games, get out to the local church of your choice, or bar or organization where you can meet locals and see who your allies and foes might be. The time to network and find out who you miiiight want to trust your life with is before a situation happens. You don't have to get all creepy about it.

It would be ideal if you had advance warning of an approaching disaster, all you need in your bugout bag, had a 'special' spot to hide away etc. But odds are, none of those might be an option.

Depending on the situation, have an idea who your backup could be and put forth some scenarios and how you would deal with them. Natural disasters happen all the time. Read and practice to develop skills with a minimal amount of 'stuff' and maximum amount of knowledge and capabilities.

posted on Feb, 10 2023 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

originally posted by: YouSir
a reply to: JAGStorm

Ummm...BOOM...tssshhh...

Precisely...people will wither and die...because they lack the knowledge for self defense...foraging...gardening...hunting/fishing...medical care...etc...etc...etc...

It's primarily about the knowledge...with that you can create the tools necessary for survival...providing you haven't procured them from the get go...

Also...have a plan...and a backup plan...

YouSir

Yep got to be flexible and ready to move quickly and on a moment's notice, hell nothing I ever plan for goes like I thought it was going to go, to varying degrees.

Ummm...indeed...Reminds me of the quote by Helmuth von Moltke..."No plan ever survives contact with the enemy"...(paraphrased)...and I had to look up the dudes name...

My plans all involve some form of mobile escapism...and taking the tools needed for survival with...

YouSir

posted on Feb, 10 2023 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

And they may appear at your door.

posted on Feb, 10 2023 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

This covid crap is separating the wheat from the chafe. I mentioned before, I've left my family of origin, changed my email, phone number, told husband to throw out mail. There will be no forwarding address when we move...they are not prepared for what's coming.

posted on Feb, 10 2023 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

A 15 minute city is an ideal theoretical in which residential, work and shopping occur within a 15 minute walk of one another.

If you took an old shopping mall and made the second level a residential area of apartments rented to owners of the shops and stores downstairs, you would accomplish a similar design as a microcosm. The first floor would be open to the public and there would be plenty of parking for shoppers and residents. With bars, restaurants and movie theaters the experience would be rather complete.

The 15 minute city concept is somewhat expressed in New York with different neighborhood areas like Harlem, Chelsea, etc. Best example would be Sesame Street with the corner store and apartments. But not so much in Los Angeles which is far more spread out between residential, recreational, industrial and retail zones.

posted on Feb, 11 2023 @ 05:33 AM
link   
a reply to: BaconCrusader

Depending on type of event & precipitation, lack of water would be the first indirect killer at scale. Most people can survive 4-6 weeks without food (or more depending on many characteristics)

posted on Feb, 11 2023 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar

A 15 minute city is an ideal theoretical in which residential, work and shopping occur within a 15 minute walk of one another.

If you took an old shopping mall and made the second level a residential area of apartments rented to owners of the shops and stores downstairs, you would accomplish a similar design as a microcosm. The first floor would be open to the public and there would be plenty of parking for shoppers and residents. With bars, restaurants and movie theaters the experience would be rather complete.

The 15 minute city concept is somewhat expressed in New York with different neighborhood areas like Harlem, Chelsea, etc. Best example would be Sesame Street with the corner store and apartments. But not so much in Los Angeles which is far more spread out between residential, recreational, industrial and retail zones.

Thanks, it is very popular design throughout the world, but in Americas we love our cars and drive the crap out of them, so I would think it is a little more isolated here. I live 25 mins drive from Portland and that is perfect for me to enjoy all a bigger city has to offer like fiber internet and the lifestyle there while not actually living there and also being not very far from like Big Foot country.

edit on 11-2-2023 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2023 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnTitorSociety
Depending on type of event & precipitation, lack of water would be the first indirect killer at scale. Most people can survive 4-6 weeks without food (or more depending on many characteristics)

Anyone who lives in LA are pretty much dead. Food will be gone in a day and roaming gangs will quickly form with very little water and no way out but to basically walk for 100 miles.

I think security is another huge issue as everyone will want what you got and all your prep can be gone in an instant. I have 5 or 6 bags of white rice that we rotate through. White rice can last 20 years and a 50 lbs. bag is like 275 servings, after that you just need protein (beans and/or 25-year shelf-life meats) and vitamins to hunker down a long time, if need be, but security always sneaks in as a bigger issue in the end.

<< 1   >>

join