It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Renters Bill of Rights rolled out by Biden

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2023 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I'm sick of hearing about people being priced out of a place to live. No one should have to live on the street or out of their car, especially if they have kids.

I acknowledge that landlords have expenses. I don't like to hear about huge jumps in rent though. There is some greed out there. I detailed it in one of my posts.

I don't know what the solution is.

posted on Jan, 26 2023 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Creep Thumper

I'm sick of hearing about people being priced out of a place to live. No one should have to live on the street or out of their car, especially if they have kids.

I acknowledge that landlords have expenses. I don't like to hear about huge jumps in rent though. There is some greed out there. I detailed it in one of my posts.

There are two sides to that. Take Chinatown in Chicago. They have really gentrified some of the areas around it. Just 30 years ago some of those areas were so dangerous you wouldn’t even walk by yourself in broad daylight. I got lost there once and saw a dude carrying a machine gun. Now it has lovely townhomes, it’s much safer (not totally safe) it’s cleaner, and has brought in more money for the area.

Is that a bad thing? It probably was to some people that were priced out of the neighborhood….

posted on Jan, 26 2023 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: Creep Thumper

There are two sides to that. Take Chinatown in Chicago. They have really gentrified some of the areas around it. Just 30 years ago some of those areas were so dangerous you wouldn’t even walk by yourself in broad daylight. I got lost there once and saw a dude carrying a machine gun. Now it has lovely townhomes, it’s much safer (not totally safe) it’s cleaner, and has brought in more money for the area.

Is that a bad thing? It probably was to some people that were priced out of the neighborhood….

Does that make it right?

posted on Jan, 26 2023 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Creep Thumper

Let’s talk about something else that the government got involved with.

In the past people could build their own house pretty easily, and without all the codes and size regulations.
Then the government got involved, and there were codes, rules, laws, fees. Hardly anyone builds small houses anymore. You know the houses that people used to start in and then downsize in. All those houses are really old now.
You can thank the government for that one!

In my town you can’t even legally build a small house…

posted on Jan, 26 2023 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Let’s talk about something else that the government got involved with.

In the past people could build their own house pretty easily, and without all the codes and size regulations.
Then the government got involved, and there were codes, rules, laws, fees. Hardly anyone builds small houses anymore. You know the houses that people used to start in and then downsize in. All those houses are really old now.
You can thank the government for that one!

In my town you can’t even legally build a small house…

Perhaps you're right. Government shouldn't be involved.

posted on Jan, 26 2023 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

I don't think I took any hit for paying anything off early as that is my normal operation with loans to get them and pay them off quickly

I'm not sure what the actual criteria is , but I had a truck loan around $25K+ and still had a few years to hit the payoff date but I decided to just pay it off. So I paid the lump sum at once. Then coincidentally I just happened to have checked my credit report and noticed that my rating dropped like 30 points or so if I recall correctly.

The report also stated the hit was because of the payoff and they weren't sure if that was a mistake,a repo, collections, or if the loan was paid off. So to be on the safe side they treat it as a bad debt until they get more information from the lender. It also stated that if it was a debt payoff then it should be resolved by the next 2 credit cycle which is typically every month away. Which it was.

Luckily I wasn't looking to buy anything so it didn't really effect me , but I thought that was kind of BS but typical as the consumer is always stuck with the consequences.

So if someone is looking to buy a house and need to pay off anything they may not want to wait till the last second and atleast try to pay it off a couple of months prior to applying for a mortgage.

I think we use our Costco card for just about everything now and we keep a low amount on it by month's end.

We have a MC that we use for everything aswell including any bills that take CC payments like car insurances , in order to get the points. That has never caused an issue despite the fact we pay it off every month. So I don't think the payoff issue is tied to credit card debts . I have only noticed it with large non credit card type loans.
edit on 27131America/ChicagoThu, 26 Jan 2023 17:27:01 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2023 @ 07:20 PM
link   

First house I rented out we went the compassionate route and it nearly broke us just as we expanded our family. (we sold that house)

second house I have rented we are avoiding the compassionate route because my first duty is to my family, and we told the property manager to be selective, luckily for me the house is near a military base with a housing issue.

Everyone assumes a landlord is a slumlord, I went a year without receiving a penny from the tenant, and nobody wants to talk about those kinds of renters.

posted on Jan, 26 2023 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

First house I rented out we went the compassionate route and it nearly broke us just as we expanded our family. (we sold that house)

second house I have rented we are avoiding the compassionate route because my first duty is to my family, and we told the property manager to be selective, luckily for me the house is near a military base with a housing issue.

Everyone assumes a landlord is a slumlord, I went a year without receiving a penny from the tenant, and nobody wants to talk about those kinds of renters.

Not everyone who is poor is a deadbeat.

posted on Jan, 26 2023 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Something needs to be done. I'm in the Philadelphia area(unfortunately) and there is no reason a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom, 1,000 square foot apartment should go for $2,000 per month. That's ridiculous, and pretty widespread.

posted on Jan, 26 2023 @ 09:17 PM
link   

I am curious. Are you saying homeowner landlords are supposed to rent to tenants that cannot make their rent payments, or that they should rent at a lost? I am not being snarky or glib. I am just trying to understand what you think is the right thing to do.

I am not talking about the entrepreneur or the corporate landlords, I agree they can be unconscionable. But reading your post, I get the feeling you think the homeowner landlord is supposed to be compassionate, understanding, and be willing to allow the tenant to live in the house, even if they cannot pay the rent. Or to charge a rent low enough that they can pay, though the landlord would not be able to maintain the home or pay t.he insurance or taxes on the property,at such a low rent. I may be wrong in what I a taking away from your post, that is why I am asking the question, for clarification, so I do not come to the wrong conclusion.

I agree it is a horrible position to be in when you cannot afford rent or cannot get a mortgage. I also think it is a horrible position to be in, when you have planned and sacrificed throughout your life, to prepare for a comfortable retirement, only to find it being stolen from under you.

I think both tenants and homeowners have the same problem, and none of us seem to have a solution. We can't afford to continue the dissension. They are forcing the small landlord out of existence. This will be of zero benefit to the homeless, because they don't care about any of us, except for what they can get from us. Whether they force us to give to them freely or under coercion, they don't care, as long as they get it, and they will get it, even if they have to take it.

We have to fight this collectively, I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel, if we don't.

posted on Jan, 26 2023 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Yea but a lot are, I know people hate steroetypes but in many cases they are there for a reason.

A lot of the people on govt assistance like Section 8 are scamming that system, not all probably not even most but enough are to create the stereotype.

People just dont wake up and go oh poor people suck, usually thats driven by a bad interaction with someone from that group.

posted on Jan, 26 2023 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Schmoe11

Sheesh thats terrible, I am renting in alaska right now and its 3 b 2 bath 1400 for 1800 with power, water, and heat paid.

Hope to get a house this spring before the army moves 10k more troops into alaska, housing market sucks.

posted on Jan, 26 2023 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Schmoe11
Something needs to be done. I'm in the Philadelphia area(unfortunately) and there is no reason a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom, 1,000 square foot apartment should go for $2,000 per month. That's ridiculous, and pretty widespread.

It is is beyond crazy. Houses in my area, the standard 1700 sqft, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, that sold for around $150,000.00 a few years ago, are now selling after just a few days on the market, for $630.000.00 and above. A wooded lot that has not been cleared, is $350,000.00 for a single acre.

This is in the country with the majority of us being old and poor, we don't stand a snowball's chance in hell.

There has to be a way out of this mess.

posted on Jan, 26 2023 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Its all the morons from the big city that dont have the common sense to pour piss out of a boot.

Had friends that grew up in Washington state and oregon before those places went nuts.

They all had the same story, was cheap and easy to live till cali transplants started buying up homes and moving in for 70-100% over asking price.

People from those cities are some of the most ignorant people I have ever met, they cant seem to grasp life outside the big city is way different and we dont like your way.

posted on Jan, 28 2023 @ 07:05 AM
link   
You can live rent free for years in NYC.
Its disgusting...

posted on Jan, 28 2023 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Its all the morons from the big city that dont have the common sense to pour piss out of a boot.

Had friends that grew up in Washington state and oregon before those places went nuts.

They all had the same story, was cheap and easy to live till cali transplants started buying up homes and moving in for 70-100% over asking price.

People from those cities are some of the most ignorant people I have ever met, they cant seem to grasp life outside the big city is way different and we dont like your way.

As much as people have a distaste for this, this is supply and demand at it’s finest.
People in Cali got priced out so they moved. Supply lessened so prices went up.

People are now moving out of the Pacific NW to other areas for the same reason.

posted on Jan, 28 2023 @ 06:28 PM
link   

You're lucky - here a 2 bedroom apartment goes for $3,000 - I just saw a few of them on trulia and craigslist.
It's getting worse every month, scary.
Waiting for my husband to have surgery, then we're being forced to make a decision as to where to move - it's so bad now here that either your salary tops $100,000 or you're on welfare, that's the only way to survive in this northern NJ area.
And the best part is when you are viewing these dreadful places, they tell you that you have to have an income of three or four times the rental amount per month. I don't think I know anyone who makes $12,000 a month, it's as if they will now only accept those on public assistance.

posted on Jan, 28 2023 @ 06:35 PM
link   

I get that and they still wont learn from the past, they will do the same thing everywhere they land.

Then late in life or their kids will discover its suddenly to expensive to live where they grew up and not understand why till there is nowhere left for people to go.

posted on Jan, 28 2023 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

It is is beyond crazy. Houses in my area, the standard 1700 sqft, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, that sold for around $150,000.00 a few years ago, are now selling after just a few days on the market, for $630.000.00 and above. A wooded lot that has not been cleared, is $350,000.00 for a single acre.

This is in the country with the majority of us being old and poor, we don't stand a snowball's chance in hell.

There has to be a way out of this mess.

The houses here in the flood zone (guaranteed to flood across the street from a river) are selling in record time for astronomical prices, never seen anything like this. After a huge flood, the houses simply go up for sale and are snapped up - one Sunday hundreds of people lined up for hours to see a house right ON the river, and it sold immediately.
Houses are now going for close to a million further away from the flood zone.

posted on Jan, 28 2023 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: RonnieJersey

Area I grew up in back in florida just a few miles from my dad are sellling north of 400k per home many of these homes are built in an old dried up river bed.

What do you think happens every hurricane season, and people wonder why home insurance is so hard to get in florida.

Heck they bulldozed a swamp between my home town and tampa and put up homes that went for north of 600k per home, every hurricane season more flood claims.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join