It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Renters Bill of Rights rolled out by Biden

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Creep Thumper
I'm all for more controls on landlords. Rents have gotten outrageous. Someone I know had their rent go up $140 in one fell swoop. That's outrageous, especially for our lowest wage earners.

Anything that battles that kind of greed is okay in my book.

Spoken like a true Communist.

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl

I'm all for more controls on landlords. Rents have gotten outrageous. Someone I know had their rent go up $140 in one fell swoop. That's outrageous, especially for our lowest wage earners.

Spoken like a true Communist.

I'm a conservative.

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: RonnieJersey

Thank you, our rents in NJ have tripled and more, simple greed, landlords are jacking up rents just because they can. I think though they are also trying to keep out the riff raff.
We just looked at an apartment for $2,000 (not counting utilities, cable, laundry, etc.) with no closets - the real estate person told us, 'Just buy some wardrobes', I walked out on that one. LOL

Where do you people think you are living? We are in America, everything is run by the almighty DOLLAR.
If you want “fair” I’m sorry but you’ll have to go to another country where everyone is giving exactly their one scoop. But let me let you in on a little secret, all that happens there is that the majority live poor, and the rich live richer, that’s all.

If landlords are jacking up rents and people are paying it, that is called free market.
See that word free, do you really want to take that away. It’s a slippery slope.

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

You wouldn't act so high and mighty if you were looking at living out of your car.

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 06:57 PM
link   

a reply to: tanstaafl
I'm a conservative.

Proclaimed the communist when called out on their communist views.
edit on 25-1-2023 by tanstaafl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 06:59 PM
link   

I'm a conservative.

Whatever. You know nothing about me.

I'm looking at people suffering financially. I have compassion for them. That's means I'm a commie?

Grow up.

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 07:06 PM
link   

You wouldn't act so high and mighty if you were looking at living out of your car.

High and nightly because I don’t think the government should get involved with how certain people invest?
Why force landlords to take a cut, how about make Amazon, or Microsoft or Walmart to give poor people more money for housing? Wouldn’t that be more fair?

If you think this is going to benefit poor folks in the end, well I have a bridge to sell ya…

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 07:07 PM
link   

I'm a conservative.

Whatever. You know nothing about me.

I'm looking at people suffering financially. I have compassion for them. That's means I'm a commie?

Grow up.

You are making communist like statements.

You also don’t know about people posting on here. Perhaps they saved all their money and bought an investment property and that is their sole source of retirement income? Should they be homeless because of others? Don’t think that’s happened?

Also not everyone that is a landlord has a second mansion. Some landlords rent rooms out of their houses. Some landlords rent a house they inherited from their parents. Some landlords living a duplexes. Some landlords are barely making it.

edit on 25-1-2023 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 07:14 PM
link   

When you become a landlord you assume risk, financial and otherwise.

Having compassion for the poor is not a Communist idea. It was Christian before it was ever Communist.
edit on 1/25/2023 by Creep Thumper because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Having compassion for the poor is not a Communist idea. It was Christian before it was ever Communist.

Exactly, so why would a landlord want to risk it on deadbeat renters?!!! This is not something the government should be involved with. Why on earth would a landlord want to rent to people with bad credit? That is literally saying these people are not responsible enough to rent, but the government is like, “oh let’s forget all about the credit score for you” but of course if you want a government loan, you better get ready for 200 pages and your firstborn.

Compassion goes both ways, what about the compassion for the landlord? Is it Christian to steal?

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Exactly, so why would a landlord want to risk it on deadbeat renters?!!! This is not something the government should be involved with. Why on earth would a landlord want to rent to people with bad credit? That is literally saying these people are not responsible enough to rent, but the government is like, “oh let’s forget all about the credit score for you” but of course if you want a government loan, you better get ready for 200 pages and your firstborn.

Compassion goes both ways, what about the compassion for the landlord? Is it Christian to steal?

Not everyone who is poor is deadbeat. That is a very uncharitable characterization and a blanket statement.

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Creep Thumper

Not everyone who is poor is deadbeat. That is a very uncharitable characterization and a blanket statement.

Not everyone that is a landlord is lacking compassion, or are greedy as you say.

Maybe they have to raise the rent because their costs have gone up (which I can 100% believe has happened)
Insurance, property taxes, repairs are all significantly more expensive than in past years.

Again I’m not a landlord or renter. I think I can see this very clearly from the middle.

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Not everyone that is a landlord is lacking compassion, or are greedy as you say.

Maybe they have to raise the rent because their costs have gone up (which I can 100% believe has happened)
Insurance, property taxes, repairs are all significantly more expensive than in past years.

Again I’m not a landlord or renter. I think I can see this very clearly from the middle.

These corporate entities buying up single-family homes and then charging outrageous sums for rent most certainly is greed. It's been in the news, particularly on the West coast. They are pricing the middle class into living out of their cars.

There is even a case pending against one of these corporate giants in which they're accused of conspiring with a large rental-consultation company to fix rent prices far above market value.
edit on 1/25/2023 by Creep Thumper because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Or they will be joining the illegal's tent cities and get free money from the tax payer.

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Why force landlords to take a cut, how about make Amazon, or Microsoft or Walmart

That's a pet peeve of mine every time I see a commercial by SubaRu proclaiming how they've given 250 million dollars to charitable causes in the last few years.

Or the news telling us how our wonderful utility company (that posts record profits each year, just before another increase) just gave 4 million for 'covid' relief to the food banks around the state.

If in addition to record profits each year they still have millions to donate, they're overcharging for their product/service AND decide how the money gets distributed. Maybe stop corporate greed and allow people to have a little more money to live on?

Their 'charity' comes off the backs of the working folk they overcharge, and I'm not impressed by their donations one tiny bit.

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

Or they will be joining the illegal's tent cities and get free money from the tax payer.

Are you calling the working poor deadbeats again? Do you know who the working poor are? They work their asses off in low-paying jobs because they don't have any job skills. They are just trying to survive.

Stop conflating poverty with being a deadbeat.

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

That's a pet peeve of mine every time I see a commercial by SubaRu proclaiming how they've given 250 million dollars to charitable causes in the last few years. Or the news telling us how our wonderful utility company (that posts record profits each year, just before another increase) just gave 4 million for 'covid' relief to the food banks around the state. If in addition to record profits each year they still have millions to donate, they're overcharging for their product/service AND decide how the money gets distributed. Maybe stop corporate greed and allow people to have a little more money to live on? Their 'charity' comes off the backs of the working folk they overcharge, and I'm not impressed by their donations one tiny bit.

It’s a massive scam.
I worked at a place (Big Pharma) where it was pretty much mandatory to donate to a charity. You were put on a black list if you didn’t. We were told we could donate anywhere. I donated for our local Boy Scouts because I knew the leader. They NEVER got the money. So where did it go?

Years later I found out one of the leaders kids was working at a major “charity” rhymes with Blighted YaY
Gee, wonder where that money is going.

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 08:21 PM
link   

That charity is a huge scam. They wanted us to donate at work. I refused because I pick the charities I want to donate to. Talk about people getting bent out of shape.

It's a racket.

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Maybe the rents went way up to compensate for the two plus years of Covid Lockdowns Forbidding Evictions for Non-Payment of rent…

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Interesting, everyone with a take rooted in where they are personally.

Most failing to see why "rents" went up to begin with. One is, Investors wanted high rates of return, because the are entitled as we know. So a few years back they realized they could get this through "rents" on housing. 30x investment was the goal, the effort was to buy rental housing, increase rents, force tenants out, increase rents and repeat = 30x.

Of course higher rents would allow for more leverage as well, putting "assets" on the books that would allow for more 30x in other, more creative ways.

Then there is the cost of upkeep, costs have gone through the roof, not a lot of qualified folks in big cities, too many repairs, costs are high. The live in maintenance guy is gone. Many rentals are reaching critical life maintainence time which can be cost after cost.

Property taxes, a given.

Oh, and that little short term rental thing for tourists.

Then there is the issue of Millenials on down who cannot manage money, have no clue what is what with money, and their mindless failings make things worse, as they don't contribute to neighborhoods in meaningful ways, which is bad all the way around as local business cannot count on them, and when the fail, rents go up for the next guy.

That relates to damage, people who don't live in the area for long, or just moved there, really don't care about at thing but themselves and, as such, create damage often unintentionally. I saw on neighbor renting permanently painted her Fitness company name and logo on the garage she was renting, no plans on removing when she leaves. 500 bucks to remove right there, but of course the paint won't match, so it will look worse.

Then there is the government, in CA, build "affordable housing" is a scam in its own right, but worse, the cost of materials, building, servicing loans etc. means "affordable" isn't really by the time it is done.

Then there is the Chinese. In China, property is considered a store of wealth, in CA, the Chinese destroyed the housing and rental market for "investment" purposes. That of course drove folks to other locations, driving rental costs up.

Then there is the plandemic, which, drove folks to work from home, which, often meant folks renting for work etc. in bigger places or remotely remotely.

And in some places the drug addicts, otherwise knowns as permanently homeless or urban campers, which have driven rentals in good areas up and destroyed other areas, which is no fault of owners.

But of your a pandering and floundering administration, just do more damage and all of the above will magically go away. I can't blame them, including all of the above means there is no answer, because there is no actual problem to define other than some folks not having enough money, which would lead us to...

Wages not keeping up with the printing of money need to arm Ukraine for some reason or another. Also, large companies on the brink, needing an influx of liquidity to being defined as too big to fail.

And lastly, the FIAT system we live in is scheduled to end shortly, which, makes this end game until the new system arrives.

Team Joe will fix it though, he's our man,,, am I right?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join