It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sheila Jackson Lee Introduces Bill Criminalizes Any Criticism of Person of Color by Whites

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2023 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: CthruU

I disagree, but I am a Stoic in nature and philosophy. This is alongside being Christian or beneath it. I find that it leads me to being generally content and happy because among other things, I know what I can and cannot control.

The dichotomy of control. In my clinical work, this Stoic idea stands out as being of the most obvious value. According to the Stoics, we need to let go of the idea that we have direct, complete control over many of the things that concern us, such as what other people think about us, what happened in the past, and even what might happen in the future. All we have direct control over, according to the Stoics, are how we think about things and what we voluntarily do. Life will go much more smoothly if we focus only on these. For example, suppose you are worried that you have upset a colleague. Instead of spending hours overthinking the situation, reflect on whether there is something helpful you can do. A good Stoic would probably pick up the phone and speak to their colleague. They would certainly not get caught up in fruitless hours of worry or self-recrimination.

In other words, the past cannot be changed. It is what it is, and even those events that I played direct part in are over and done, and no purpose is served in continually revisiting them. All that can be done is to move forward with today. Apologies and chest thumping and guilt are only attempts to change a past that is what it is and nothing else will change it. All that matters is what we do now, and creating inequalities today to try to fix an inequality that that will never right is sheer folly and stupidity of the greatest order. You only recreate the past over and over in running away from it.

But noones trying to change the past but offer the chance at a better future.....as you quoted "all that can be done is to move forward with today" so because we as a community cannot do it ourselves they are trying to push that move on with today by enforcing that move or at least that's the thought process.

Colloquially known as the precipice and you should know the saying about mankind and the precipice.

posted on Jan, 17 2023 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: KTemplar

originally posted by: CthruU

originally posted by: KTemplar

Peace Panda, I mean Lionking, whatever your avatar is 😁

Cool, . back to your gaming now and leave the real world issues to the people who actually get out of the house.

There's a good girl or tomboy or whatever your avatar is.

I have a job, and have worked since I was 16! I don’t game!

Nice try! Nice projection of yourself though 🤣

If you say so, hopefully you've had the last word now and can stop.

posted on Jan, 17 2023 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Moon68

a reply to: PorkChop96

Anyone who has imbibed that particular brand of ideology gets their jollies both by feeling miserable and then by pointing out how awful it is that others are not as virtuously miserable as they are.

I hear that the Canadian healthcare system offers a cure for self-loathing depression.

And its the reading of idiotic bandwagon jumping posts like these from people who can't think for themselves like yours that offer the greatest laughs dragging us so called self loathing depressed out of it.

edit on 17-1-2023 by CthruU because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2023 @ 08:53 AM
link   

And you blatantly ignored the rest. But of course you did.

By creating continued inequalities today in an attempt to balance what cannot be balanced because it is over and done with, you only end up chasing the past and recreating it over and over which is what you are doing right this very second.

You have not let go of the past at all. Unless treating everyone the same starts now, and that does not start by treating some more equal than others because they weren't treated fairly in the past, we are only reliving the same mistakes we have made, over and over and over ... This is why you learn history instead of reliving it.

posted on Jan, 17 2023 @ 09:03 AM
link   

And you blatantly ignored the rest. But of course you did.

By creating continued inequalities today in an attempt to balance what cannot be balanced because it is over and done with, you only end up chasing the past and recreating it over and over which is what you are doing right this very second.

You have not let go of the past at all. Unless treating everyone the same starts now, and that does not start by treating some more equal than others because they weren't treated fairly in the past, we are only reliving the same mistakes we have made, over and over and over ... This is why you learn history instead of reliving it.

Seriously? . Another one that needs their crystal ball serviced.

posted on Jan, 17 2023 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: PorkChop96

Please, enlighten me oh great one, what am I supposedly preaching? Since my simple minded brain doesn't seem to understand the greatness you speak.

Really? No I don't do pre school.

PS : Your signature says-
".just hear to watch the world burn " i thoroughly believe you now. But its here not hear. Guess that's representative of your attention to detail.

posted on Jan, 17 2023 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Seriously.

Look if Joe has $40 and Jake has $20, the current fashion is to say that is not fair because Joe has more, and it's not Jake's fault because society forced Jake to have less. It is especially not Jake's fault is Jake is green and Joe is blue because way back in the days of Jake's great-great grandfather and Joe's great-great grandfather, blue people tended to look down on and treat green people unfairly by law, so even though the laws have been changed to make such things highly illegal and the same laws apply to both Joe and Jake today and Joe and Jake's parents and that started in the time of Joe and Jake's grandparents ... well, it's still the fault of society and not by any doing of Joe or Jake themselves that one has more than the other.

See, Joe still has massive wealth from his great-great granddaddy, even if his great-great granddaddy never was rich or passed any inheritance ... just because his great-great granddaddy was blue. It's just not fair that Joe's ancestors are blue and that Joe is blue and now because Joe has blue skin and $40 and Jake is green and has $20, we're going to take $20 from Joe, tell him he's horrible and racist for having blue skin no matter what his life has been on the sole basis of the past and his great-great granddaddy, and we're going to treat *him* unfairly exactly like Jake's great-great granddaddy was treated because that will absolutely fix everything and no one will ever harbor any racial resentment again!

Do you see?

posted on Jan, 17 2023 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Lee needs to be disciplined for suggesting to officially violate The COTUS 😀

posted on Jan, 17 2023 @ 09:34 AM
link   

It's posts like these that just further my point form earlier. You are so caught up in trying to make yourself feel better for your "white guilt" that all you want to do is try to make others feel inferior to yourself.

I really do feel sorry for you and the need you feel to belittle others to get you jolly's. I would love to see you go 5 minutes in a thread without making derogatory comments about another persons post. Otherwise, if you have nothing to say but negative things about someone, instead of trying to have a legitimate conversation/debate, then please just leave.

edit on 17-1-2023 by PorkChop96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2023 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I don't see where in the bill it says whites can get in trouble just for criticizing a black person.

It states: "(a) In General.—A person engages in a white supremacy inspired hate crime when white supremacy ideology has motivated the planning, development, preparation, or perpetration of actions that constituted a crime or were undertaken in furtherance of activity that, if effectuated, would have constituted a crime."

It sounds like they're just trying to make it easier to call a crime a hate crime.

posted on Jan, 17 2023 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

I wonder what the threshold is?? How much "whiteness" is required to fall under this proposed idiocy??

I'm about 1/16th Blackfoot, though you couldn't tell by lookin' at me. I'm a tall, heavily built, mountain man bearded white dude--glow in the dark white dude. Given that my family, on both sides, hail from both sides of the Mason-Dixon Line, I can be fairly confident that there's probably some African-American in the mix, too...

So how much is not enough??

posted on Jan, 17 2023 @ 10:06 PM
link   

So crimes of the parents brought down on the sons and daughters?? We're guilty, no matter how long ago??

Whatever.

posted on Jan, 18 2023 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: PorkChop96

It's posts like these that just further my point form earlier. You are so caught up in trying to make yourself feel better for your "white guilt" that all you want to do is try to make others feel inferior to yourself.

I really do feel sorry for you and the need you feel to belittle others to get you jolly's. I would love to see you go 5 minutes in a thread without making derogatory comments about another persons post. Otherwise, if you have nothing to say but negative things about someone, instead of trying to have a legitimate conversation/debate, then please just leave.

I understand.......you can give but you can't take.

All good.

posted on Jan, 18 2023 @ 08:34 AM
link   
This unnecessary categorization of crimes into “hate” crimes is redundant and only causes further divide in a society. It does however, give unintelligent people like Lee a platform to gripe on. And somehow they have seemed to carved out a nice little payday for griping to susceptible people about skin color nonsense

posted on Jan, 18 2023 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

So crimes of the parents brought down on the sons and daughters?? We're guilty, no matter how long ago??

Whatever.

Oh please. Do we need to go over it all again? Aren't you a mod, shouldn't you be a bit more level headed than that closed shop comment ? I expect better from your position.

But just for you -

We in the now - : some are still guilty most are not but we as a whole need to be compassionate and invite change in our perspective as clearly there is still societal issues of color. Inclusion has to start somewhere and it certainly can't be achieved by long gone perpetrators so here we are.

I didn't do it either nor am I guilty either but my kind did and are and I don't see any problems in taking a little bit of that responsibility on my shoulders to help create a better future for my kids, their kids and so on. The buck has to stop somewhere.

All this " it wasn't me so who cares" nonsense is selfish and counter intuitive to humanities evolution as a whole.

Most today did not and do not oppress but we all can express some repentance to help heal the " crimes of the parents " as you put it.

People just can't see past their own noses.

But hey I'm happy to be called depressed / racist / mentally disturbed / a traitor to my color because I advocate for any change that helps people of difference to my color gain some ground in equality.

"Whatever" indeed and come my judgement day .........well I'm sure you get the jist.

You have a good one now seagull.

posted on Jan, 18 2023 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Constructive criticism I can take, someone having a different viewpoint than me is fine, correcting things I have said wrong or incorrectly is great, but when you move to belittlement and pointless gibberish is where I draw the line. You have not had one nice thing to say to anyone in any of the threads I have seen you on, you are a bully and someone who just wants everyone to know how smart you think you are.

Like I said, I do feel sorry for someone who doesn't have the mental capacity to have a constructive debate with anyone else.

posted on Jan, 18 2023 @ 09:20 AM
link   

This is the issue, lumping everyone into the same category just because they "fit the bill". Just because you're white, doesn't mean you're a racist, not all African Americans are criminals, not all Asians are good at math, not all Hispanics like tacos, not all Jews are lawyers.

This is what started the whole issue, it's not going to fix it.

posted on Jan, 18 2023 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

I wonder what the threshold is?? How much "whiteness" is required to fall under this proposed idiocy??

I'm about 1/16th Blackfoot, though you couldn't tell by lookin' at me. I'm a tall, heavily built, mountain man bearded white dude--glow in the dark white dude. Given that my family, on both sides, hail from both sides of the Mason-Dixon Line, I can be fairly confident that there's probably some African-American in the mix, too...

So how much is not enough??

I do believe the bar was set at zero percent needed. Trans is zero, so why doesn't that apply to everything.

posted on Jan, 18 2023 @ 09:52 PM
link   
How many times has she criticized white people?

If that rule applied to her she would have hundreds of criminal charges against her for criticizing white people.

edit on 18-1-2023 by Hangontight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2023 @ 05:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hangontight
How many times has she criticized white people?

If that rule applied to her she would have hundreds of criminal charges against her for criticizing white people.

The left may be trying to goad wokeness critics into sounding like fake news.

The bill is not being read carefully enough.

Under the bill, actions which are already a crime are easier called a hate crime.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join