It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Our Friends in the UK How to Stay Warm

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 10:18 AM
link   
To our dear UK friends, I’ve read about the gas spikes and the fear of the upcoming winter.

Here in the Midwest it gets very cold, much much colder than you are used to. We know how to stay warm.
Please accept these tips and prepare as much as possible now. Once it starts some of these thing might be hard to come by.

Real down is quite possibly the warmest material on earth. Don’t go cheap, buy the best and it will pay itself over many times
Make sure to have a small tent. If things get bad it’s easier to heat a smaller area. Get sleeping bags too.
Wool, silk, alpaca are amazing warm materials
Eat warming foods
A small electric ceramic heater feels similar to fireplaces
Read up on all Carbon monoxide risks and get a detector
Buy hot water bottles now, those filled with hot water and a down blanket will keep you very warm for a long time
Always keep your feet, neck and wrists covered. Some say your head should be covered but I was taught this is not true, heat must be able to escape your head.
Acclimate yourself to cooler temps.
Stay hydrated
Buy insulation for windows and doors now

This is not to keep warm, but to save on electricity!
Buy any solar lighting now
Solar chargers, even during cloudy days solar still gets some energy
Buy battery backups
Think long term if things get real bad, are you able to relocate? Can you combine households?

www.adn.com...

U.K. residents face 80% spike in energy bills as war in Ukraine drives up natural gas prices

edit on 26-8-2022 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-8-2022 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

All great tips but the number one thing that will keep the UK warm is memories of Winston Churchill.

"We (The British) have not journeyed across the centuries, across the oceans, across the mountains, across the prairies, because we are made of sugar candy." -W.C.

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Get you a fat tattooed partner.

Heat in the winter.
Shade in the summer.
And moving pictures all year round.

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Moon68

Heat in the winter.
Shade in the summer.

LOLOLOLOL 😂

Easy to come by in my area, not so sure about the UK.

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Wait, wait, what is going on? did not UK were burning because the heat just recently? darn global warming is really killing UK, these days, now they are to freeze to dead?

Wow.

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I'm sure like me those of us who grew up in the 70s have already taken steps in terms of heat and light..

i do worry about the young'uns who have had everything on taps and who think all previous generations had lives filled with all manner of privileges might find it all instructive..

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman

All great tips but the number one thing that will keep the UK warm is memories of Winston Churchill.

"We (The British) have not journeyed across the centuries, across the oceans, across the mountains, across the prairies, because we are made of sugar candy." -W.C.

Amen to that brother.

I was a kid through the Winter of discontent , anyone who wasn't will learn the lessons we learned back then.

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043
media creating more panic a bit like the heatwave and drought, 76 was worse because it came on the back of a half-decade of mild winters and & drier summers, so now post covid the media can only exist on a diet of fear, like cheap labour they are addicted to it..

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman

Damn, I'm starting to sweat and I ain't even a Brit!

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

maybe it'll stop them from projecting their privilege on previous generations who had things tougher than this rose-tinted idea that previous generations lived a rich & privileged life.

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 10:59 AM
link   

This year along India and China will have burned more coal (low quality coal that is far more polluting) than the entire combined output of the west through the industrial revolution to today.

Last Year Boris Johnson our (the UK's) departing and absolutely incompetent (but perhaps by design?) prime minister made this statement.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Now as people are facing death and poverty in the UK one of the world's richest nations that while it won't help it's own poor is all to happy to spend BILLIONS of UK Tax Payer money helping OTHER nations especially were there is money to be made for there rich party backers Boris the outgoing Prime Minister said this.

www.breitbart.com...

Now I am not against the Ukrainians (Except the NAZI scum bag variety) or FOR the Russians in this war but what business is it of the British Tax Payer?, why should WE have to pay for weapons there while leaving our own people to starve, go to food bank's that will become increasingly overburdened as the deliberate global food crisis takes hold on the back of the draught and energy crisis and while our people are facing a TRUE winter of Discontent that shall make the formerly named such look paltry by comparison.

The Truth is this in the North Sea the British still have far more than enough oil and gas to fix this issue BUT we sold it off to private company's back in the 1980's.

The UK Still has some of the very best coal deposits, high quality low sulphur coal beneath our feet that could last for century's but of course Margarette Thatcher destroyed the coal industry deliberately for two reason's, ONE her Husband had rumoured investments in South American coal mines and had worked out he could make a killing IF we could get our then mainly coal powered fire stations burning HIS coal instead of our OWN coal and TWE the NUM (National Miners Union) was one of the main backers of the LABOUR PARTY whom was the opposition to Thatcher's government and she wanted to cut the leg's off the Labour Chair so to speak.

In the end she did not get her way completely but she left a legacy of Damage and short term economic boost that was more down to the economic turn around in Asia than anything she did whatsoever.

Now we see the Tory's for what they really are, a party willing to KILL the poorest in British society, to KILL the elderly and most vulnerable and to DESTROY British people's right's and legal protections to turn our nation back into a dark ages dystopia were the rich have everything and the poor are there slaves.

Make no mistake about it though Keir Starmer and his bunch are almost no better than these Tory's, they are so watered down and so right wing they are now were the right wing of the Tory Party USED TO BE while the original labour are regarded as extremists?.

But if the British people will insist on voting in the people that want to slit there throats then let them bloody fool's they are.

We myself included VOTED OUT of the EU and what to we get, Migrants unvetted by the boat load from France, May and then Johnson jetting off to India to invite them to send there KIDS to take OUR Job's instead of investing in our own people (And what is our nation it's not just marks on a map or a flag it's actually it's people) and then bragging about how Thatcher destroyed our coal mines and there accompanying coal fired power stations less than a bloody year before this crisis hit's us and leaves us facing blackout's over winter and death on top of death.

God forbid those Tory's should ever need HIS mercy for they have NON, Jesus ask them for a glass of water these (Sorry I used some bad language to describe the Tory's here, truth is they are NOT all bad but the group currently in charge of there party most certainly are in my opinion, they even make Thatcher look left wing) would ask for money and put a water meter on his mouth.

edit on 26-8-2022 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: Moon68

Heat in the winter.
Shade in the summer.

LOLOLOLOL 😂

Easy to come by in my area, not so sure about the UK.

Plenty here.

and when you've finished reading them you can leave them at the bus stop for another reader.

The walk home helps keep you warm.

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

This year along India and China will have burned more coal (low quality coal that is far more polluting) than the entire combined output of the west through the industrial revolution to today.

I read about that and was shocked. It shows you how fast they are coming up. I don't think many know how significant that is. We hear about the population over there but many really can't fathom how many people that actually is.

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: nickyw

media creating more panic

Easy claim to make but not backed up by facts , the fact is gas and electricity prices have risen to a point where people will have a choice between heating or eating this Winter , the prices are due to rise again in January putting more people into fuel poverty.

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: nickyw
a reply to: marg6043
media creating more panic a bit like the heatwave and drought, 76 was worse because it came on the back of a half-decade of mild winters and & drier summers, so now post covid the media can only exist on a diet of fear, like cheap labour they are addicted to it..

Not sure about there, but I know in my region the media has barely said a peep about the exploding cost of utilities.
People are losing their minds over the price of water. What they don't know is there is going to be an increase in all forms of heat for us too. Not as extreme as UK but it's going up, that's for sure.

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 11:40 AM
link   

contrary to media noise it takes around a decade for a wet year to be fully discharged from the aquifers in the south so we still have a couple of years before the 2007/8 floods have been fully discharged..

there is a lot of noise but most of what is happening is either self inflicted through a short sighted parliament or its subterfuge.. at this point with friends on the continent it feels like its subterfuge to put us on par with the continent much like this years claimed drought..

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

what business is it of the British Tax Payer?, why should WE have to pay for weapons there while leaving our own people to starve, go to food bank's

Because every country member of the UN and NATO says so, and it's become painfully obvious this is not about 'helping' Ukraine.

Zelinsky has managed to become a multi-millionaire in his short reign earning just over $9,000.00 a year. I smell fish; a LOT of fish, with the major world players in on the scam.

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

$9,000.00 a year , Jeez I earn more than that and and don't have the Russian government gunning for me.

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: nickyw

Define the privileges?

The things I see as greener from the past are the fact that they built affordable housing to be rented via social housing programs for all, a timely and accessable NHS for all. A standardised accepted form of living (living wage?) Funny we never needed a minimal wage till when? Anyways a wage that will actually cover the rent on social housing never mind private and kids these days want a house? I remember when buses were good, cheap and went everywhere...

Those weren't privileges those were British, they were ways of life and promises of stability to stop those bloody miners marching to London or whatever.

I wouldn't delude myself it was easier in the past, it wasn't. People had a lot less to throw away but every weekend most went where? The clubs and pubs. It was a little bit more social, a little bit more community operated and dare I say it you actually got something for the quids you put down back then.

Why fix problems when you can profit from them.

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Purge your leaders?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join