It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Priests of the Temple of Syrinx

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2022 @ 06:19 PM
link   
The song is often said to be about being gay, which is not true.

In my opinion, it's about being in a city where you have to serve the ruling elite because "all the gifts of life are held within our walls." and because they have a big gang since "equality (is) our stock in trade."

They might have trapped and abused closeted gays in the 1970s and that may be what Rush was complaining about but its meaning is not limited to the specific set of circumstances which was on their minds when they wrote the song.

edit on 15-7-2022 by Solvedit because: clarity

posted on Jul, 15 2022 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Solvedit

We used to have a member called "Syrinx High Priest" (not sure about the spelling) who was a very regular and knowledgeable poster here.

I miss them.

posted on Jul, 15 2022 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Read the lyrics again.

Think about Silly-con Valley and the Woke World Order. It's pretty damn prophetic.

posted on Jul, 15 2022 @ 07:17 PM
link   

I always thought it was about the tyranny of some kind of religio-fascist government. I mean, who else would want to destroy all musical instruments?

posted on Jul, 15 2022 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: tamusan

I always thought it was about the tyranny of some kind of religio-fascist government. I mean, who else would want to destroy all musical instruments?
It's definitely about a religio-fascist government.

posted on Jul, 15 2022 @ 07:35 PM
link   

A sound guy who hears a Stairway cover for the 10,000th time at open mic.

Theoretically speaking of course.

posted on Jul, 15 2022 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Solvedit

It's definitely about a religio-fascist government.

Still works for the woke world order. Woke is religious in nature, pretty puritanical with its morality.

posted on Jul, 15 2022 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

I can see that happening.

posted on Jul, 15 2022 @ 07:53 PM
link   

At any rate, your thread inspired me to fire up my archaic home stereo system with Moving Pictures, 2112, and Permanent Waves. In that order. Despite living for nearly 60 years, my wife claims to have never heard of Rush before 2021, but she's a big fan now. I took her to see Primus perform Rush's' A Farewell to Kings' in Troutdale, Oregon last June 14th. We even sat at a table and sipped Purple Pachyderm from Claypool Cellars while people asked the band their questions. 

posted on Jul, 15 2022 @ 08:33 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 6 2022 @ 09:12 PM
link   

edit on 6-8-2022 by Solvedit because: Deleted post

posted on Sep, 21 2024 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Some women may feel the Sexual Revolution raised them up from servitude.

I have also heard that some of those resent that they feel they had to work for knowledge.

They have, however, grown accustomed to their new power. They feel entitled to be in charge.

What if they all moved to some city where they could be in charge?

What if there is such a place and the band Rush or someone they know got consigned to it?

They may trap you into obeying because "All the gifts of life are held within our walls."

What if they take a piece of your soul so you could never have privacy? What if that is what "Our great computers" refers to?

"Look around this world we made, equality our stock in trade" they may pander in exchange for gang protection.

This is where we may be headed. There's many people all over the world who know many in America don't deserve their success. They also know they need to be just as in charge as the "Priests of the Temple of Syrinx" because they won't be perceived as desirable.

edit on 21-9-2024 by Solvedit because: clarity

edit on 21-9-2024 by Solvedit because: added a sentence.

posted on Sep, 21 2024 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Simple and to the point. Exactly.

posted on Sep, 21 2024 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Solvedit

There's many people all over the world who know many in America don't deserve their success.

Many know many current and past leaders of most countries don’t deserve to rule. Like Putin. Putin as corrupt as it gets. So just don’t point fingers at the USA. Where there is more than one county than the USA in the Americas.

posted on Sep, 21 2024 @ 11:48 AM
link   
2112 was a great album. one of my faves along with Joe's Garage by Zappa which was also about a dystopian ban on music, laughter and dancing.

posted on Sep, 21 2024 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Here are all the lyrics:

www.rush.com...

Loved the album, my fave Rush songs though are Red Barchetta and Tom Sawyer.

posted on Sep, 21 2024 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

Thought this would me more you mate

posted on Sep, 21 2024 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Stobbit! I'm sending you my Therapist's bills. "Nurse!!!!?"

posted on Sep, 21 2024 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Speaking of dystopian rock songs, here's one of my faves. Queensryche - Empire:

m.youtube.com...

edit on 21-9-2024 by Oldcarpy2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-9-2024 by Oldcarpy2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2024 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

good band that

top topics

<<   2 >>

join