It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People were on vacation but not buying anything

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

When you are away from home you need accommodations and meals, so they are spending it somewhere.

I think you completely missed the point.

Yes, they are spending some money (trying to salvaje the vestige of s vacation, perhaps) but money spent on accommodations and meals don't support the other local economy. Gift shops, candy stores, tourist traps, etc. Don't get the money that hotels and restaurants do.

And if people are even cutting back on eating out, restaurants will suffer.

Yeah, you kinda missed the point.

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv
Yes, they are spending some money (trying to salvaje the vestige of s vacation, perhaps) but money spent on accommodations and meals don't support the other local economy.

No? If you are on vacation and paying for accommodations and meals they go to that local economy. Where else would they go?

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I'm currently working in New Mexico, I'm in Los Alamos but travel to Santa Fe every weekend. I do some consignment jewelry at a local store as a little side hustle. You are exactly right, people are not buying right now. It was slow as of a couple months ago, but now it has dropped off the charts slow. People are only buying essentials mostly, they are spending money on hotels and eating out, just not on any type of luxury items or art.

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

No? If you are on vacation and paying for accommodations and meals they go to that local economy. Where else would they go?

Grocery store, gas station, chain fast food. Yes those too help the local economy but it doesn't keep the niche vacation areas "alive"
edit on 14-6-2022 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Grocery store, gas station, chain fast food.

It's still local.

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 10:22 AM
link   

I know people that vacation but still make all their own meals, like sandwiches etc.

Doesn't matter if you're at home or on vacation, either way the grocery store is still cheaper than a restaurant.

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 10:26 AM
link   

A large number of the shops I went into had a sign that said NO Cellphone or Camera use.
I don’t think it was because people are copying their designs, but more so people wouldn’t look on Amazon to find it cheaper.

What we noticed most was the food prices were incredibly high. That is probably why people were only eating cake or sharing a meal.

A group I belong to had a Craft Show a few years ago. It was amazing how many people came and took pictures of the crafts without buying anything. I over heard one woman saying "Now that I have the idea, I can make it myself cheaper."

The tourist town bit is right. I was flagging traffic in one and watched as UPS delivered a box that was clearly marked "Made in China". I watched as the guy in the store took out a bunch of wooden figurines and wood burned a label into the bottom of them. When I was on Lunch break I went into the store and looked at the figurines. The label said "Handmade by the Amish. XXXXXXX, PA.

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I always thought that for domestic flights it was cheaper to buy around 2 to 3 months ahead, and for international about 5 to 6 months ahead. what do you think?

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany
I always thought that for domestic flights it was cheaper to buy around 2 to 3 months ahead, and for international about 5 to 6 months ahead. what do you think?

The pricing algorithms are nearly the same. Buying an INTL ticket that far out is going to be pricey, they come down about two months out for about a month or so and then spike one to two weeks before the trip until the day before departure where you might catch a deal if you're flexible.

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: carewemust
Also airlines are full because people bought the tickets when they were cheap last Summer.

Buying tickets eleven months out is not cheap, the pricing algorithm knows when you buy that far out you are dedicated to that trip. Cheaper flights are in the two month to three weeks out range.

Last September, my brother-in-law paid $320 round trip from Norfolk to Ohare. He arrives tomorrow for a 3 day visit.

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

A large number of the shops I went into had a sign that said NO Cellphone or Camera use.
I don’t think it was because people are copying their designs, but more so people wouldn’t look on Amazon to find it cheaper.

What we noticed most was the food prices were incredibly high. That is probably why people were only eating cake or sharing a meal.

I was flagging traffic in one and watched as UPS delivered a box that was clearly marked "Made in China". I watched as the guy in the store took out a bunch of wooden figurines and wood burned a label into the bottom of them. When I was on Lunch break I went into the store and looked at the figurines. The label said "Handmade by the Amish. XXXXXXX, PA.

That does it!...I'm throwing out my entire Amish wooden figure collection!

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I recently went to Spain and the big island and we had a full Kitchen in both places. Spain was not bad eating out, so we ate out a good deal, but we did have many meals in our place. The big island was different, we went to Costco and bought steaks and Tuna steaks etc and ate most dinners in our place. Our first night was $160 for 2, and at Costco that would buy a crapload of food.

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Last September, my brother-in-law paid $320 round trip from Norfolk to Ohare. He arrives tomorrow for a 3 day visit.

The same flight looking two weeks out is cheaper, $261.

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 11:39 AM
link   

I live in a tourist "area"; lots of places to float spring fed rivers. The tourist businesses in our little town north of me are shuttered. No one much has come to the rivers and no one is buying anything.

And yea, its' a sign of things to come. Actually I realied that yesterday. What I realized, (prompted by a TV news report) is that most everyone buys their fuel on credit cards, then pays the card off at the end of the month. All the people traveling and buying gasoline NOW, (June) won't know what's hit them until they get the credit card bill in July! On top of that, the Electric Utility companies ALWAYS jack up their rates in the summer months.......that won't hit people till the June bill comes due in July.

It's going to be a very bleak retail sales report in August~December with businesses closing and layoffs accelerating. And I would have to guess there will be another Covid scare in time for the elections in November to justify the use of drop boxes for mail in voting.

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

I didn't know you collected them. I can sell you some...................cheap.

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
a reply to: IAMTAT

I didn't know you collected them. I can sell you some...................cheap.

Unless you have a limited edition 'Jeremiah and the Butter Churn'...I'm not interested.

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 12:01 PM
link   

a reply to: olaru12

dwelli

It's not up to me what people send their money on. Or you!

I think human behavior is very predictable for the most part, and from what I’ve seen we should all be concerned.

I prefer to mind my own business and try and stay optimistic. Constantly looking for the negative & dwelling on it is a good way to make one physically sick, not to mention unhappy; who needs that?

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Im in TX...DFW area....
Nothing has changed. Traffic is high - as usual. Restaurants are packed (and people are ordering full meals) - as usual. Stores are packed and people are buying - as usual. People are selling and buying expensive homes.

But every time I am out and about I say "does not seem that the economy is suffering here." I wonder if it is a region thing.

The one thing I notice that is off... is that there are still a lot of places that claim to be hiring - but I hear over and over that nobody is receiving call backs on their applications. Including my own 18yr old.

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

My sons and their wives came down last week...went to Disney World for 3 days and bought zero Chinese souvenir crap from the giftshops.

They didn’t want a $48 weird shaped cup, or a $400 piece of “art”.

Disney has the best marketing in the world but I think a lot of people are pulling back. Maybe working from home people realized how much crap they have.

I follow a number of people on IG - who have been going to Disney in FL....and film everything. The place is packed and the shops are packed with people spending. Whether or not its Americans or foreigners who knows...but Disney is certainly not hurting.
edit on 2022 by shaemac because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I prefer to mind my own business and try and stay optimistic. Constantly looking for the negative & dwelling on it is a good way to make one physically sick, not to mention unhappy; who needs that?

Unfortunately in our country right now we don’t have to look for the negative, it is smack in our faces.

I also mind my own business, I do not consider general observation in a public setting being a nosey person.

I do think there are different types of flight or flight coping mechanisms people have.
Some people are fighters, they are also the ones aware of a situation before it happens. I fall in this category. I like to plan, to prep to be well prepared. Part of that is knowing what is going on around you and how others are behaving.
It is not wrong and it is not negative.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join