It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Midwest Should Prepare for Rolling Blackouts this Summer

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 01:25 PM
link   
www.politico.com...

Spiking temperatures could cause more blackouts this summer. They won't be the last.

I just linked that article but there are numerous that were posted last week. They all say the same thing, be prepared for blackouts this summer.
The entire midwest is considered "high risk"
We touched on this topic in my other OP regarding Cali and their ban on gas and it's impact on Asian restaurants. I think this is to important to go under the radar.

I will be fine without electricity. What I do worry about are people with medical devices, or elderly that are sensitive to heat. It appears two things are happening that will cause this perfect storm if you will.
A dry extra hot summer is predicted, and then the coal plant retirements will just make it all the worse.
I think people should really focus on making sure they have enough water too.
Learn ways to keep cool without electricity.

A while back there was an extreme heat wave in Chicago and around 800 people died. This is pretty serious if they are "warning" us now.

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

www.reuters.com...

U.S. Midwest in danger of rotating power blackouts this summer

June 3 (Reuters) - The power grid in the Central United States could be forced to impose rotating blackouts on some of the hottest days of the summer due to rising demand and plant retirements, federal energy officials said in an online energy comment on Friday.

Maybe this is the "dark winter" they predicted. Maybe it starts in summer?

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I guess I will need to boost my gas reserves from twenty gallons to forty. In the summer between the mowers, tiller, generator, weedeaters, generator, chainsaws, and tractor, I usually go through about thirty gallons of gas other than what I use in the truck and car during the spring through fall seasons. I go through an additional thirty gallons of gas in the plowtruck during winters plowing our driveway. I usually maintain a minimum of ten gallons in stock. But with this I may have to use the generators more, so I guess having a minimum of twenty gallons is necessary.

I am a little OCD of tracking things, mostly to make sure I have stock of things I will need. The Tractor, truck and all the chainsaws and yard equipment take ethenol free premium gas....because I rotate it and most often there is a couple of months from buying and using it. Gas prices should drop somewhat if the Saudi's boost production so I will wait to increase stocks of fuel till then but I need to get a few more five gallon cans to fill in the meantime..

I need to put a box in so I can run the well on a generator to get water, a three way disconnect of some sort. I do keep about ten to fifteen gallons of water in stock, and I can set out the fifty five gallon drums for the toilet water and put the rain barrels in place for the garden stuff too.
edit on 4-6-2022 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 01:41 PM
link   
All rolling blackouts need to be politically correct and agenda driven πŸ‘οΈπŸ‘ƒπŸ‘οΈπŸ‘οΈπŸ¦»πŸ‘οΈ

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
All rolling blackouts need to be politically correct and agenda driven πŸ‘οΈπŸ‘ƒπŸ‘οΈπŸ‘οΈπŸ¦»πŸ‘οΈ

Yeah, black is a racist word. blackouts is an evil word these days, they need to find a new word to replace blackouts. This is much worse than naming a sport team Redskins. What else can we call the blackouts without causing any minority group to get pissed?

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 02:20 PM
link   
In IT they keep trying to get me to stop using "blacklist" and "whitelist" - and instead use "deny list" and "allow" list.

by that logic, perhaps we should start calling these "Rolling electricity denials" - it actually sounds a bit more accurate, considering TPTB are choosing to deny you the option to pay for electricity instead of allowing the market to generate more.

I doubt we'll be seeing any of this rolling blackout nonsense up in the northeast, but come this winter I'm going to have an easy way to cut a few appliances over to generator power all the same.

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 02:31 PM
link   

I'm going to immediately go and order an electric car....just want to make my contribution to "rolling blackouts" !

edit on 4-6-2022 by conspiracytheoristIAM because: can't spell

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I wonder....

For years, we have talked about how bad our grid is.

Is this due to high temps? Or the fact that people are going "green"? In reality, we have not increased our generating stations, our infrastructure is old, and....wait for it.....the majority of electricity is generated by fossil fuels. And the supply is going down and the price up, just like gas-also from fossil fuel.

Does anybody else see this, or am I just a nutty CT?

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 03:11 PM
link   
But, but... all we gotta do is mandate more efficient light bulbs, and all will be saved!!

/scarcasm

This area has had off-peak load management for years, and what was originally promised as "an hour or two" over hot/cold snaps is now literally half a day. Not North Korea yet, but we're trying.

originally posted by: conspiracytheoristIAM
I'm going to immediately go and order an electric car....just want to make my contribution to "rolling blackouts" !

Local utility has already said they have capacity for two electric vehicles per block. I'm not an electrical engineer, but the need of charging two EVs per residence doesn't quite work numbers-wise.
edit on 4-6-2022 by gb540 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

All rolling blackouts need to include the White House, and the homes of every Congressperson and Senator.

Also all hollywood woke who are thrilled at high gas prices and attempting to force those who have to choose between work, food, and rent to buy an EV, when they can't due to woke policies that are causing massive inflation and blackouts.

edit on 6/4/22 by The2Billies because: format

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

A lock- in at Congress with no power on a hot summer day.
I'd pay good money to see that.

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I thought this would be a really funny thread exposing Midwestern gays of a certain ethnicity.

It's okay, I'll show myself out.

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 07:27 PM
link   
biden says we will all be driving electric cars by 2030. Surely something as simple as a temperature spike cant cause a black out. I mean, what would happen if everyone in the country was charging an electric car every night? I am sure our grid can handle that much power. Even though it never has before. And I am sure that every house that is wired for 100 amp service will be just fine with 75 amps going just to charge the car. And I am sure that families with more than one driver will be just fine too. And multi-family dwellings, like apartment buildings with hundreds of apartments and no garages or places to plug in a car? I am sure they will be just fine too.

I mean, really. biden wouldn't set us on this path without having thought all this stuff through, right?

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

www.reuters.com...

U.S. Midwest in danger of rotating power blackouts this summer

June 3 (Reuters) - The power grid in the Central United States could be forced to impose rotating blackouts on some of the hottest days of the summer due to rising demand and plant retirements, federal energy officials said in an online energy comment on Friday.

Maybe this is the "dark winter" they predicted. Maybe it starts in summer?

They are incredibly inverted about most things so you are probably correct.

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 09:25 PM
link   
We are going to have to replace the capacity of all those coal plants we have closed, that takes time. The sad part is if we weren't so stringent on nuclear power and had opened more plants, maybe this wouldn't happen.

That is of course if it wasn't TPTB plan all along/

www.eia.gov...

Between 2010 and the first quarter of 2019, U.S. power companies announced the retirement of more than 546 coal-fired power units, totaling about 102 gigawatts (GW) of generating capacity. Plant owners intend to retire another 17 GW of coal-fired capacity by 2025, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration’s (EIA) Preliminary Monthly Electric Generator Inventory. After a coal unit retires, the power plant site goes through a complex, multi-year process that includes decommissioning, remediation, and redevelopment.

Coal-fired power plants in the United States remain under significant economic pressure. Many plant owners have retired their coal-fired units because of relatively flat electricity demand growth and increased competition from natural gas and renewables. In 2018, plant owners retired more than 13 GW of coal-fired generation capacity, which is the second-highest annual total for U.S. coal retirements in EIA’s dataset; the highest total for coal retirements, at 15 GW, occurred in 2015.

edit on 4-6-2022 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Anyone else ever argue the point if a utility fails to provide contracted services you want those days prorated & taken off the bill? A Blackout isn't like a "act of god" storm. It's a decision by the company to go easy on their equipment.

Just curious.
Yes I know they're supposed to use meter readings, but have caught them out before & the reply's always "We don't know how that happened!"

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 09:48 PM
link   
*shrugs* people voted for this, 81 million idiots, he said flat out coal and oil were going to be attacked and people still voted for him.

I can't wait (sarcasm warning for the mentally challenged) for the sob stories this summer when elderly people start dying of heat stroke or freezing to death come winter because they either can't afford the bill, or the fricking power was turned off during rolling blackouts on 100+ degree days.

The same mental midgets that voted this clown show in will then demand the companies take the loss and keep the lights turned on and more companies will fade away and less power will be available for all those electronic gadgets then in 20 years or so we will be out of rare earth metals so those nifty electric vehicles will be useless and only the rich will get to travel, congrats clowns.

ETA: I have no patience for the people that try to say stupid things like gas is higher in norway, I now shoot back with your grandparents are on a fixed income how are they handling inflation? maybe a blunt slap will make people try to think again.
edit on 4-6-2022 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Sure am glad I live in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Sure am glad there is only one power grid for each island. Sure am glad I don't have to depend on anyone else to provide electricity for me if the generators on my island go down.

Whiners. Just keep whining. That'll help.

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

For IRL trolling, I might just say grid down. Joe is sending the Blue Hats. And other things every time a rolling blackout hits nearby.

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
A lock- in at Congress with no power on a hot summer day.
I'd pay good money to see that.

Why not. They managed it before the 1890’s.

Was gonna post they can ironically go back to coal heat too. BUT since one goal of current environmental insanity appears to be to push us back before fire, they should lead by example there too.
edit on 4-6-2022 by gb540 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join