It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin signs 'fake' news law that would jail journalists over war reports

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Did I jump timeline again?

Wasn't there JUST a thread here saying that russians are free to protest anything they want?

These jumps are getting confusing.

edit on 4-3-2022 by PatriotGames4u because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

We have a tradition of the free press here, but let's say our country goes to war and a highly placed journalist decides to sympathize with the enemy. What kind of damage could such a person do, especially if their editors decided to run with the information they obtained and printed under press freedoms?

It happened when we were in Vietnam.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Yes, l remember Jane too.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 09:20 PM
link   

We've been struggling with those moral questions for the past few decades.

Journalists have had legal brushings on several occasions since 9/11 here.

And you even have Assange who is being charged with the espionage act, which takes away many of your rights when it comes trial, mainly you can't even explain your motive, one of the key tenants of our legal system and how we judge.

Now, I maintain we're still one of the best countries when it comes to free speech. But even we struggle with it when we discuss national security, and theres no doubt that's been abused.

I'm starting to see free speech isn't really an interest for the masses anymore. Which is sad, because without speech, we are merely indentured servants, existing at the pleasure of those who rule. And what a world when people feel entitled to dictate ideas.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Yes, people would rather feel good and be "safe" than enjoy liberty. That's sad because there is no place on earth for the ones who actually want to enjoy a free society and I'm not talking anarchy, just a society with liberty.

However, I am remembering things I've learned and forgotten about how the world was prior to WWII, and we seem to be repeating the steps of the runup to another world war. The totalitarian powers seem ascendant, and the rest of the world is admiring of them, even thinking they are the new way. People are so willing to admire them that human rights violations and atrocities carried out by them are flat out ignored or justified in one way or another, in the face of the enormous "good" their societies produce.

Those powers grandstand, even hosting an Olympics to showcase the greatness of their athletes before the world.

And now hostilities break out and the rest of the world's powers rush to appease, appease, appease. But how do you fight a war in a nuclear armed world with nuclear armed powers? I am afraid we may be about to find out.

But if history follows, the atrocities of those totalitarian powers will become too great for even their most ardent admirers to handwave away.
edit on 4-3-2022 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 10:30 PM
link   
If for a minute you think it's starting to sound like a soap opera, well it always will be with MSM.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 10:39 PM
link   

you don't get 15 years for contradicting Biden.

How the federal government plans to treat COVID “misinformation” as a crime

Congress to “legalize” censorship and criminalize First Amendment rights to freedom of speech

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Putin signs 'fake' news law that would jail journalists over war reports

If only the US would follow the same with tough standards .
Unfortunately , Barry made lying in the news legal in the US .

Depends on what you consider 'fake' news.

I know I see it on my TV every day, yet have to rely on obscure places to get the actual truth... which I examine closely, so as to ensure it too is not 'fake' news.

I don't trust liberals to tell me what I should be thinking.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Didn't Lincoln do something about reporters and their reporting during the Civil War though?

I'm not excusing Putin, but I am pointing out that war is war.

We live in a far more global world now, than then. Information should not be censored. it's easy for someone back then to tell the populace one thing, and silence written papers.

No one would have really known. Today however, we see it a clear as day. Yet it keeps happening, unfettered.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 11:07 PM
link   

I suppose fear has been winning out against curiosity. I can't say I can sympathize with that.

For me I've always been far more skeptical of authority than I have been appreciative of its protection.

We only know what we know, and there's no way we can understand the world if we don't expose ourselves to the ideas that help shape it. I think it's incredibly short sighted that the EU and Canada are blocking Russian state news. That's not protecting, if someone seethes just because there are very different world views, don't watch it. But hiding from it as a society is damaging to itself. If someone is your adversary or even enemy, you'll be far more effective against them if you at least have a base understanding of them and more importantly their motivations.

And if they're concerned the propaganda would be too effective, thats a failure on us, not a success on them. We should be able to see, hear, and humor all ways of life and come closer to accordance with our own. And that's how we beat the Russians the first time, and the only way we could beat them again, with ideas, not destruction. But we have a long way to go ourselves, as a country afterwards. Using them as contrast to distinguish ourselves as better is just a cop out to come short. That's where we'll really lose if we all come out of this without realizing.

posted on Mar, 5 2022 @ 04:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Tellurian

So what law was passed and is in effect?

posted on Mar, 5 2022 @ 04:18 AM
link   
a reply to: PatriotGames4u

They are 'free' to go to jail. Russian shills have been out in force lately.

posted on Mar, 5 2022 @ 04:31 AM
link   

He did not imprison everyone that deviated from the official narrative. Didn't happen. Not to mention that was in the 1800, and a civil war is a bit different than invading your neighbor to annex them.

We have already seen Putin jail protesters.

posted on Mar, 5 2022 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Ummm…dayam…Trump should have signed one of those…

Maybe if the fake news MSM had all been jailed…He would still be President…

Alright…glad to see at least one country has the nuts to throw the fake news media in the newlag…

YouSir

posted on Mar, 5 2022 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

We have already seen Putin jail protesters.

Ummm…ahhh…ahem…

You’ve apparently forgotten about those jailed protesters locked up in DC…you know…the ones kept in solitary…without due process for a year…

So let’s not be pointing the stinky finger at others…when it’s our own finger that smells fishy…

YouSir

posted on Mar, 5 2022 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
So now any journalist in Russia that does not report exactly what Putin tells them to will be jailed.

Russian President Vladimir Putin signed into law Friday legislation that would punish journalists with prison time for publishing news that contradicts officials' statements about Moscow's war in Ukraine.

Under the new law, reporters face up to 15 years in prison if they report what authorities deem as false reports about the military. The legislation was passed by both chambers of the Russian parliament.

www.foxnews.com...

Not much else needs to be said regarding this dictator and his anti-freedom actions.

Trudeau is doing something very similar, just by buying out/bribing all the media outlets with our taxpayer dollars. I am quite sure the 5 families that control all of the media in the world along with Blackrock and Vanguard are operating similar to Trudeau, who is operating similar to Putin. Saying, "I will put you in jail for publishing a contrary narrative" is really no different than, "I will take away your livelihood and destroy your life for publishing the truth."

Both situations operate based on fear and extortion to achieve a political end. That end is defined as terrorism. So if you are willing to call out Putin, be willing to call out Trudeau, Zuckerberg, Biden, Fauci, Xi, Ford, etc and any other asshole that uses extortion to achieve a political goal. Apples to apples ;-)

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 5 2022 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

There's a thread on protesting you should probably post this there.

posted on Mar, 5 2022 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Trudeau has a lot in common with Putin. They're both evil scumbags.

posted on Mar, 5 2022 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

We are doing both.

Multi tasking.

posted on Mar, 5 2022 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Another way to consider it is this way:

We have a tradition of the free press here, but let's say our country goes to war and a highly placed journalist decides to sympathize with the enemy. What kind of damage could such a person do, especially if their editors decided to run with the information they obtained and printed under press freedoms?

How much damage to the war effort could be done?

How long would you endorse free press under those circumstances particularly if such reports did lead to strategic advantages for the enemy?

Understand this is all hypothetical and I have no idea what circumstances Putin may or may not be hoping to control with this. I do recall from history that Lincoln was seeking to control the Copperheads who were undermining the Union war effort.

The US Pentgon has enforced 'Law of War' restrictions on journalism/free speech for years - until recently (2015) the Pentagon claimed journlists were spies and 'unprivileged belligerents' who could be detained indefinitely under false charges if they broke or came close to breaking the restrictions on free speech the US Army enforces.

During the Iraq war hundreds of journalists were detained without trial and one Al Jazera cameraman was held in Guantanmo Bay and tortured for six years without any charges or trial before finally being released after the US finally realised he was a ameraman and not a senior leader of Al Queda as they thought.

US CENTCOM spent $500m per year in Iraq vetting journalists copy and broadcast material to make sure it didn't break their laws - a lot are common sense such as not revealing US troop movements in advance as it would aid and abet the enemy. Geraldo Riviera was thrown out and banned from Iraq by US forces after he gave away future US troop movements and attack details live on Fox.

The US Army also uses an area of denial system for embedded journalists (ones who travel in US army vehicles) were actively denied access to the fierce battles and the huge war crimes the US committed in Fallujah (carpet bombing 50,000 civillians with white phosphorous).

They didn't have to do most of it though as journalists weren't really trying to get the real story out - most of those who weren't embedded never left their hotels in Iraq and before the war were more interested in salivating over weapons then paying attention to the hundreds of MI5/MI6/CIA agents who repeatedly contacted the press to let them no there was no WMD's and the whole evidence for war had been fabricated.
edit on 5-3-2022 by bastion because: (no reason given)

<< 1    3 >>

join