It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin signs 'fake' news law that would jail journalists over war reports

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 07:08 PM
link   
So now any journalist in Russia that does not report exactly what Putin tells them to will be jailed.

Russian President Vladimir Putin signed into law Friday legislation that would punish journalists with prison time for publishing news that contradicts officials' statements about Moscow's war in Ukraine.

Under the new law, reporters face up to 15 years in prison if they report what authorities deem as false reports about the military. The legislation was passed by both chambers of the Russian parliament.

www.foxnews.com...

Not much else needs to be said regarding this dictator and his anti-freedom actions.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Darn too bad is the bias liberal lying media of the US is not all arrested too.

And to think I thought it was light at the end of the tunnel.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

As bad as most American media you don't get 15 years for contradicting Biden.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

Darn too bad is the bias liberal lying media of the US is not all arrested too.

And to think I thought it was light at the end of the tunnel.

That's my thought also.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Nope, you do not, but that is because the liberal media is always kissing his ugly wrinkle butt. Anyway, that is what dictators do in communist countries, I have online friends in Russia, and they are scared and do not know what in the hell has gotten in Putin what is he trying to accomplish.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Nope, you do not, but that is because the liberal media is always kissing his ugly wrinkle butt. Anyway, that is what dictators do in communist countries, I have online friends in Russia, and they are scared and do not know what in the hell has gotten in Putin what is he trying to accomplish.

I have skype friends also in Russia. Right now they still can use skype and what's app and google chat.
rouble is at 110 per dollar
Seems like some people are worried there, but in Volgograd things are not bad. Prices are getting higher, but many people have farm lots away from Volgograd and they grow lots of their food .

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Just as long as they never contradict the government and never need to buy anything they should be fine then.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Putin signs 'fake' news law that would jail journalists over war reports

If only the US would follow the same with tough standards .
Unfortunately , Barry made lying in the news legal in the US .

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

I can still talk to them in telegram, but I do not know for how long. It is sad, this is young people that have lived in a more prosperous Russia with more freedoms that people think, more privileged too, in Russia no everybody can own multiple homes unless they are professionals or work for the government.

It is very sad, I can tell they are very scared.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Didn't Lincoln do something about reporters and their reporting during the Civil War though?

I'm not excusing Putin, but I am pointing out that war is war.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
So now any journalist in Russia that does not report exactly what Putin tells them to will be jailed.

Russian President Vladimir Putin signed into law Friday legislation that would punish journalists with prison time for publishing news that contradicts officials' statements about Moscow's war in Ukraine.

Under the new law, reporters face up to 15 years in prison if they report what authorities deem as false reports about the military. The legislation was passed by both chambers of the Russian parliament.

www.foxnews.com...

Not much else needs to be said regarding this dictator and his anti-freedom actions.

Pretty much,
Interesting though, Fake+news,

'Fake news is a great term, isn’t it?” Trump asked a smiling Putin. “You don’t have this problem in Russia, but we do.”'

Putin didn’t necessarily agree with the president’s assessment.

“We also have [fake news],” Putin said in English. “It’s the same.”

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 07:54 PM
link   

" As bad as most American media you don't get 15 years for contradicting Biden. "

No , Just Over a Year of LIVING HELL Trying to Make a Decent Living with this Ahass Clown in the Oval Office .

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

As bad as most American media you don't get 15 years for contradicting Biden.

No, you just end your career if you report the actual news and not the censored propaganda version that's sponsored and sanctioned in the US.
Or, you get labeled a right-wing anarchist.
edit on 500000088America/Chicago311 by nugget1 because: sp

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Great News , Maybe the Boys Over at CNN Might get a Chance to Visit Siberia....

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Isn't that ironic! Russian citizens feel the same way as American citizens do about our respective leaders.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Another way to consider it is this way:

We have a tradition of the free press here, but let's say our country goes to war and a highly placed journalist decides to sympathize with the enemy. What kind of damage could such a person do, especially if their editors decided to run with the information they obtained and printed under press freedoms?

How much damage to the war effort could be done?

How long would you endorse free press under those circumstances particularly if such reports did lead to strategic advantages for the enemy?

Understand this is all hypothetical and I have no idea what circumstances Putin may or may not be hoping to control with this. I do recall from history that Lincoln was seeking to control the Copperheads who were undermining the Union war effort.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 08:42 PM
link   
The first casually of every war is the truth.

No different than the United States governments abuse of the espionage act.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 08:42 PM
link   

I thought the journalists in Russia were always operating with a gun to their head. That's communism. No?

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

I thought the journalists in Russia were always operating with a gun to their head. That's communism. No?

We already know that's how it is here in the USA, at least in proverbial terms. CIA has big teeth in the MSM. They aren't being crossed though, they are being obeyed so it isn't an issue.

posted on Mar, 4 2022 @ 09:02 PM
link   

I don't think I need anyone telling me what news is fake or bias, especially not the government. Especially precarious given the whole point of the media is to be a watchdog for those with power.

Too many people in this country advocating for a more authoritarian federal government. Damn shame.

<<   2  3 >>

join