It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Car Companies going too far Subscription for Heated Seats

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

That sounds like a contradiction to save in chips the car maker can activate the feature? Sounds like that the chip is already there.

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Unfortunately, if parts prices were more reasonsble I would use oem.

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: robsmith

Yeah, this is the story for GM USA...first it was this, no heated seats due to chip shortage
nypost.com...

Then a mere 10 days later they are going to offer a retrofit in mid-2022
www.cars.com...

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: just4fun
a reply to: JAGStorm

FFS a BMW already cost 80k .

and you likely paid the additional 2K-4K to have the featured installed in the car in the first place.

One thing the Big Oligarch love is an easy steady monthly subscriptions. I think that is part of the reason they are wanting to crash the economy and kill the middle class. They want you to rent everything. Remember you will own nothing and you will be happy.

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

That is, if I would even buy their car at all.

that is the beauty of Oligarch . You wont have an option to buy another brand that doesn't have the same so called Feature of you paying them a monthly fee for life.

The beauty of having a lobbying power is that you won't be able keep your old car or buy a old car without the subscription fees, because old tech will be outlawed in old cars as not being green enough.

This is the consequence of the majority of Americans being to stupid to realize that the only issue we should be focused on is reducing conflict of interest in congress. The Oligarch are in full control of our govt and forcing things on the consumers versus the market driving the innovation.

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Like the trend in cars and homes.
In cars, there is no more CD players that I have seen.
You stream [rent] Sirius.

And in homes, there is a trend away from CDs and DVDs to streaming.
They say you own an album or a movie, but there is no physical item to own.

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

if one were inclined to they could just cut the computer out of the loop and use a slider switch or rheostat hooked to the power and than to the heating units, and use your own switch to heat your seats

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Probably as people realised the tech is already there installed.

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Remember you will own nothing and you will be happy. They want that monthly subscription.

IMO i think that is partly why they passed legislation to allow renters to not have to pay rent for over a year while still forcing the landlord to pay their mortgage. Many in the middleclass got hammered by that and lost their properties luckily you had the big boys like the blackstone group buying those homes even at the inflated prices because in the long term they know everyone will be renting.

edit on 12228America/ChicagoSat, 05 Feb 2022 23:12:45 -0600000000p2842 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: gb540
Have any consumer or legal groups ever checked into how the "You don't actually own it" model works with vehicles?

Yes cell phone makers bury in their terms of use. And with Deere you can bring home a $1 million machine with little more than their invoice.

But with vehicles in the US, you get a government-issued title stating it's YOURS. Are there loopholes for "Well maybe not all of it"?

The Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin says it's your car. When you register your car, the government keeps that and gives you a title instead. If you don't keep your regeneration up to date you lose permission to use that car on your roads.

Think about it, public roads free for everyone, permission need to use the car you gave to the state. You never owned your car.

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 11:21 PM
link   

A long time ago I spent a lot of time transferring my compact discs to my iPhone. When a forced update to the iOS took hold, it deleted all my music. I tried to reload it if wouldn’t allow it. I presume it’s because I didn’t buy it from I tunes.

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Jason79

Here in Victoria Australia, we have vicroads who collect registration or toad tax equivalent, Vicroads is not a government entity it’s a corporation.

Same as fines Victoria they collect road traffic fines on behalf of the gubment.

Even the mobile speed cameras we have are handled by a major international companies known as Serco, G4’s, Tenex.

Even if you get pulled over for speeding by a police car, they verbally advise you how fast you are going, though won’t allow you to see the speed gun.

They probably get a kickback on fines imposed, though try asking for a speed camera calibration certificate, you cannot gain this under freedom of information act.

So it’s obvious it’s been kept secret, why would they shoot themselves in the foot.

It’s all a scam.
edit on 5-2-2022 by robsmith because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Why is there a "Chip" required for a heated seat at all?????

A heater is basically just a large resistor. Apply power to the resistor and you get heat! The only thing needed to apply power to a resistor is a switch to turn the power on (and possibly some kind of a variable resistor (or 'rheostat'). There's been heated seats in all manner of vehicles since way longer than chips ever even existed! What changed??? Answer - Nothing changed! People are just gullible.

Can someone explain to me why a "chip" is required at all??? I smell a WHOLE LOT of BS!!!!!!

This kind of stuff really pisses me off! Companies are greedy, okay we get that, but don't come up with some kind of a BS excuse like needing a "chip" to control every freaking thing!

People are idiots and gullible to just blindly accept stuff like this!

posted on Feb, 5 2022 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I have two words for any car manufacturer who tries to make me subscribe to turn on my heated seats...which I PAID for!! Those words are:

"FOR SALE!!"

GAWD, I just LOATHE this kind of endless greed!

edit on 2/5/2022 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2022 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

another reason to love the classics

my dad has a very nice 1950 caddi

the insurance says her can only drive a certain amount of miles, the car doesnt even have seatbelts, well it does but you have to attack them yourself and look like aircraft belts

we take it to car outings and a local BBQ/car show place during the summer we go and hang out and check out the cars, everyone even people with Hondas that look like toys but are running 200NOS shots and have almost 2000bhp and they al love the old restored Cadillac

granted we did mod all the drive train from radiator, engine, intakes, injectors, superchargers, nos and 4 wheel drive, nice new paint job, new interior(as it would have been from the factory but nicer materials. no butt bun on hot days) and of course a mild tint.

the shifter is still on the wheel however.
their is just something timeless about cars from that era

posted on Feb, 6 2022 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
I have two words for any car manufacturer who tries to make me subscribe to turn on my heated seats...which I PAID for!! Those words are:

"FOR SALE!!"

GAWD, I just LOATHE this kind of endless greed!

Whats next Maybe a subscription for head lights? Radio? How about adjustable seats?

Cant roll down your windows without a chip. AC and heat?

edit on 6-2-2022 by just4fun because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2022 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: just4fun

they couldnt do the windows as it wouldnt pass inspection(at least in NY)

honestly i see this as a manufacture saving money by only having to use one line to make a few different trim levels of a certain car and if you want extras you would pay for it, like you would pay more at the dealership for a car with heated seats and one with out.

you could also argue that if you by a car than it is yours, and should have all possible features enabled.

in the silicone valley types this is a big issue, some think we are just 'renting' their handwear so they own it and if you mess with the insides you might get in trouble and definitely render your device useless.

what i want to know is when all these teslas and other battery powered cars is what happens when the cells have no more discharge/recharge cycles.

for some LiPoly batts are like 3-500 full charge and discharges.

that's a lot of lithium to be disposed of

posted on Feb, 6 2022 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: noscopebacon

Remember that guy who bought a Tesla privately, and it had ludicrous speed option in its software code.

Tesla found out and de installed it. Tesla’s excuse was the new buyer did not pay for and was not entitled to it.

Scum tesla

posted on Feb, 6 2022 @ 01:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jason79

originally posted by: gb540
Have any consumer or legal groups ever checked into how the "You don't actually own it" model works with vehicles?

Yes cell phone makers bury in their terms of use. And with Deere you can bring home a $1 million machine with little more than their invoice.

But with vehicles in the US, you get a government-issued title stating it's YOURS. Are there loopholes for "Well maybe not all of it"?

The Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin says it's your car. When you register your car, the government keeps that and gives you a title instead. If you don't keep your regeneration up to date you lose permission to use that car on your roads.

Think about it, public roads free for everyone, permission need to use the car you gave to the state. You never owned your car.

um no it isnt the same thing..

you OWN your car (unless financed then you own it after you pay off your debt).

The "title" is just states way of getting some cash out of you to prove you own it and live in that state .

you still own the vehicle and just may (key word may) take it from you if the court for breaking that law says they can

to do that you have to drive it on the PUBLIC roads and be arrested.

if you dont have a registration (plates) you can get your car impounded and only loose it IF you dont pay your registration and fees.

HOWEVER .. if your not driving it on public roads and either storing it or driving it on your private property (better own a farm) .
then you dont need an up to date registration/plates.

look you can own your vehicle .

but if you want to DRIVE IT on PUBLIC STREETS/LAND.. you need a title and up to date registration

owning it isnt a problem

driving it on PUBLIC STREETS is a privilege, not a right..

hope this clears it up for you

scrounger

posted on Feb, 6 2022 @ 02:02 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

I think the future of autos is small independent upstarts going back to the basics. A man with vision made an Empire and changed the world with a very basic mechanical combustion engine in an age without electricity in every home. Before universal plumbing, the internet, computers or anything of that nature.

All we need is for someone today to take all the electronics out of the vehicle and redesign a very basic automobile. It will be very much more affordable. And as far as heated seats go, there are retail off the shelf versions people can purchase and power through their DC outlet in the vehicle.

I swear only idiots keep subscribing to things marketing has convinced then they cannot live without. Almost like the prey is just too easy.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join