It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Play Along They need to Teach This in Schools

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2022 @ 07:49 PM
link   
They need to teach this in schools. At home would be great, but we know that isn't happening.

I'll Start.

How to behave on an airplane
How to put your grocery cart away
Real world finance
How censorship of any kind hurts us all
Food from source to plate
& Bring back Shop and Home economics for every single student.

Your turn...

posted on Feb, 3 2022 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
They need to teach this in schools. At home would be great, but we know that isn't happening.

I'll Start.

Real world finance

Your turn...

How about ... critical independent thinking?

That's be the best place to start.

Without the capacity to think independently and critically, none of what you recommend matters. The entities currently calling the shots couldn't care less how you behave on an airplane, whether you bring your grocery cart back to the building, if you can balance a checkbook, if you know where you're food comes from or can operate a table saw. As long as you don't have any independent, critical thoughts, they're happy.

Every time I hear someone say that public education has failed, I always tell them, "No, it is a signal success; it has accomplished exactly what it was designed to do."

posted on Feb, 3 2022 @ 08:39 PM
link   

I'll Start.

Real world finance

Your turn...

All of the above combined in today's society would take a Masters Degree 😎🔥

posted on Feb, 3 2022 @ 08:44 PM
link   

I'll Start.

Real world finance

Your turn...

how to live one whole day without modern technology
how to make change from a dollar
gardening 101
animal/pet care 101 (would teach them how awesome animals are, and how to care for them in various situations - would teach them compassion for something/someone besides just themselves)

edit on 3-2-2022 by TruthJava because: no edit

edit on 3-2-2022 by TruthJava because: changed text

posted on Feb, 3 2022 @ 08:47 PM
link   
The basics of discipline and respect.

posted on Feb, 3 2022 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I know that in high schools in Québec they are now teaching how to manage money, fill tax reports, understand how the system works and they even have a program where they "buy" and "sell" actual shares from different companies.

Of course, it is a simulated buy and sell, but it at least explains to them how the world markets function, and how to profit from it.

And parents need to guide, not be a friend. You can guide in a friendly manner, but you have to remember whose the boss. And act accordingly.

I would like to see morals classes again instead of ethics. Moral binds you to a code of conduit, ethics just suggests but meh, you do you, right?

posted on Feb, 3 2022 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: coamanach

I was in the gifted program in school, and in grade school, we had a team that played the stock market game. It was a team competition where the schools competed with a starting stake to see who could play the markets the best. It was simulated, but we still "bought" our stocks and tracked them and everything else back in the '80s. I was in 4th and 5th grade.

posted on Feb, 3 2022 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That's what they are doing. They each were "given" a 200 000$ fund to start their ventures. As you say, they too track their stocks and how well or not their investments are doing.
I would have loved to do that in school...

My son told me recently how he made and how some of his friends fared. He's just irritated his class got to it later than the others.

posted on Feb, 3 2022 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Yea don't be rude and recline your seat; your taking room away from the person behind you.

posted on Feb, 3 2022 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Basic table manners like which utensils to use, how to use them, to put the napkin in your lap, etc. Also, how to behave in restaurants so no one brawls at Golden Corral.

Although my first suggestion is serious. When I was in my first semester as a student athlete at uni, we have an athlete orientation class and the stuff I mentioned about table manners was actually part of the course because as reps for the uni, we were expected to represent it and some of the athletes had come from less than mannered environments, so they didn't know that stuff.

posted on Feb, 3 2022 @ 09:13 PM
link   
To stop wasting things. We freeze all leftovers and make wonderful soup with them. I hate seeing things especially food thrown out.

posted on Feb, 3 2022 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: coamanach
a reply to: ketsuko

That's what they are doing. They each were "given" a 200 000$ fund to start their ventures. As you say, they too track their stocks and how well or not their investments are doing.
I would have loved to do that in school...

My son told me recently how he made and how some of his friends fared. He's just irritated his class got to it later than the others.

While that might be fun; how many people are going to start their invesment life with 200,000 that they can just throw around like it was a simulation? It could be made to be more practical an exercise.

posted on Feb, 3 2022 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: dandandat2

The larger stake lets them buy into name brand companies they're going to be familiar with.

posted on Feb, 3 2022 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

How to plumb, how to be an electrician, how to work on your car, how to fix stuff, basic 1st aid

how to cook, how to grow food , what plants are edible

NOT CRT
edit on 3-2-2022 by just4fun because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2022 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I refuse to put my cart up. I would rather those lazy cartpushers have to walk the extra 10 to 20 feet to do their job and collect the carts. They use motorized cart pushers now, they need the exercise. Or if I get really lucky, leave my cart in such a manner that some pillar of self control consumer has to park further away, forcing them to have to walk a potential 10 to 20 feet extra. I wave at people who give #ty looks. People have a warped point of view when it comes to the shopping cart.

posted on Feb, 3 2022 @ 09:52 PM
link   
read a map
write a thank you note and send it
write in cursive
change a flat
rinse a dish and put it in the dish washer
clean a record

posted on Feb, 3 2022 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: dandandat2

The larger stake lets them buy into name brand companies they're going to be familiar with.

Its still monopoly and doesn't teach them how to invest the in the real world.

I took a corporate investment class in my graduate program and we played this game as part of the course. Your profit over the seed value at the end of the class accounted for 30% of your grade. I spent a day or so looking up what companies and funds were due for a short term bump and invested all of the seed money into what would normally be risky ventures. Wound up beating everyone at the game by a long shot; the professor was so impressed. But the truth was I was gambling with monopoly money.

Much more practical to give the high school kids a few hundred dollars and teach them how to break into investing. Some schools could afford to hand out real money on that scale and have the profits gained go into some kinda scholarship for the kids.

posted on Feb, 3 2022 @ 09:58 PM
link   
How compound interest works. Like if you put $15 dollars a week into an IRA starting at 18 years old, you can have nearly $200,000 when you retire, and that's if you keep it at only $15 your entire life.

It will also show them if they play the credit card game, they will dig a hole that takes a decade to repair.

posted on Feb, 3 2022 @ 10:14 PM
link   
How to change a flat tire.

How to safely handle firearms.

How to drive and rules of the road.

Personal finance, credit, and basic investing.

Economics 101. Preferable Milton Friedman and Thomas Sowell

Critical thinking

posted on Feb, 3 2022 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Yes, I think the firearms thing is important for several reasons, but I think it would help the idea of the 2nd a lot of kids had to get familiar enough with firearms that they stopped being scary things and went back to being tools worthy of a healthy respect.

Sowell would also be an ideal economics study. His work makes the ideas accessible.
edit on 3-2-2022 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join