It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Teacher of the Year Arrested After Allegedly Striking Student Over Instagram Post

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Jacksonville, Florida Teacher of the Year arrested and charged with child abuse after allegedly striking student over Instagram post.

So last Wednesday, the Duval County Public Schools Instagram account posted a photo of Caroline Melanie Lee, congratulating her for being named the school's Teacher of the Year. Some of the students replied to the post with comments alluding that she didn't deserve such an Award. Apparently, she then ended up proving them right.(Allegedly)

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — A Florida English teacher who was just named Teacher of the Year at Darnell-Cookman Middle/High in Jacksonville has been charged with a count of child abuse against a student at the school.

Caroline Melanie Lee, 60, was arrested Friday.

The arrest came after a student said Lee called her into her classroom to speak privately and allegedly struck her on the face causing a bloody nose..... ..the incident began with a conversation about an Instagram post earlier this week.

www.usatoday.com...

On Wednesday, the Duval County Public Schools Instagram account posted a photo of Lee, congratulating her for being named the school's Teacher of the Year. But several comments on the post questioned the win, asking if Lee was the same teacher who used the 'n' word during instruction and alleging other microaggressions committed against students....

Friday, Lee asked to speak with that student privately in her classroom, despite the student not being in any of her classes this year, according to the police report.

The student told police when she got in the classroom that Lee reached across the table and struck her several times, causing her nose to bleed.

Of course the teacher is denying striking the student, but the evidence doesn't seem to be in her favor.

Lee denied doing physical harm to the student. She said she wanted to talk to the student, after seeing a message on Instagram she thought was "a threat to kill her." But she was "not afraid" and "did not feel the need" to report the message to staff.

....school surveillance footage shows Lee "walking at an aggressive pace" to her classroom before the incident and the student, about four minutes later, leaving the classroom holding her face and walking with a "low demeanor" to a guidance counselor's office, where she reported the incident.

Lee told police that she left her door open when the student was in her classroom. But another student, who was decorating Lee's classroom door that morning, said Lee asked him to leave and she closed the door behind him. The student reported hearing the teacher raise her voice as he was standing in the hallway.

www.usatoday.com...

edit on 11/2/21 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

My initial spout after skimming the copy is this is another attempt by the MSM and fed, usa today is a tabloid, to both smear the free state of FL, and older Americans, since she allegedly used the dreaded 'N word' in classes. We got hit in school too. Never complained.
Not saying it's right or wrong. It does help you to pay attention though.
being hit in private (allegedly) is a different kettle of fish.
But something smells...uh fishy.

This is a conspiracy site after all, not a politicised news site.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Not supposed to judge a book by the cover, yeah, but her photo gives off a strong nutso vibe.

Cheers

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 12:55 PM
link   
The student could have easily defused the situation with a Snickers bar...

...even better if the teacher had a peanut allergy...

I am guessing that "Teacher of the Year" is predicated on "being woke"... which totally explains the teacher's behavior. "Wokeness" demands violent action in the face of criticism. Individual critical thinking cannot be tolerated... it's inherently racist.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Using the "n" for instruction could be any number of things and many of them are discussing literature and thus entirely appropriate and not racial. At 60, this would not be a stretch at all.

Also, 60 is not outside the realm of early Alzheimer's and similar which could explain her behavior.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany

I'm not gonna say I know it's true, because I obviously don't, but there are other sources besides USAToday running the same story.

www.foxnews.com...

This one from Jacksonville adds a bit more that doesn't make it look any better for the teacher.

According to the police report, on Friday morning Lee contacted the student's first-period teacher and said she wanted to talk to the student, who is not in any of Lee's classes. The teacher told the student when she arrived, but the girl told police she felt uneasy about seeing Lee and went to the bathroom instead. When she returned, Lee came to her first-period classroom, collected her, and rushed back to her own room while yelling at the student to keep up, the girl said.

www.jacksonville.com... t/6231505001/

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Well that's definitely not good. It's petty comeuppance. That's why no one should have social media! problem solved!
'IN MY DAY' we just had an awards ceremony and maybe a plaque on the wall and that's that.
the internet emboldens brats and idiots alike. myself included.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Apparently, she used the "n' word as a direct reference to 'Of Mice and Men', but that's not the issue.

Lee responded to her comment, explaining that she used the "n" word in the context of teaching "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck. The student — who is a minor and is not named in the report — replied that she still didn't think it was right to use the word, and she told police that Lee "agreed."

www.jacksonville.com... t/6231505001/

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Oh it wouldn't surprise if the teacher snapped. But I want to be a fly on the wall. There's no excuse for the teacher, but the kids are almost certainly not innocent.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany

'IN MY DAY' we just had an awards ceremony and maybe a plaque on the wall and that's that.

I don't recall ever even hearing about any of the Teachers at my School getting any Awards. They may have had something on the wall, but I don't remember any ceremonies. If it wasn't gonna be on a test, I didn't care.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 01:07 PM
link   

If it was brought up, it's part of the issue.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrokenCircles

originally posted by: chris_stibrany

I don't recall ever even hearing about any of the Teachers at my School getting any Awards. They may have had something on the wall, but I don't remember any ceremonies. If it wasn't gonna be on a test, I didn't care.

Yeah, same here. Back when I was in school, that sort of thing must have been an internal function.

Cheers

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

It was so long ago but they MAY have just tacked it onto normal assembly Sh#. All I know is they didn't post it online and allow kids to talk about it.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 01:14 PM
link   
While it certainly doesn't sound or look good for the teacher, how many students do you know are going to stick around to allow a teacher to strike or hit them "several times"? As far as we know the student and teacher got into a screaming match when the student developed a bloody nose due to some broken blood vessels caused by their own outburst. The teacher shouldn't have lied about keeping their classroom door open though. I wonder if the school has cameras in the hallways showing the student when they went to the bathroom to "avoid the teacher". Did the student already have a bloody nose? Too many unanswered questions here.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It didn't have to be an issue. The Teacher already won the Award. She had nothing to gain by even talking to this student. It wasn't brought up in the classroom. It was an online comment the Teacher should have ignored.

I mean, IF she didn't actually hit the student, then she shouldn't be in any trouble, BUT she still should've known better than to get into an argument with a teenager over an irrelevant online comment. The student wasn't even in any of her classes.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 01:21 PM
link   
So we put it past the student to fabricate this scenario, because it was a woke teacher?

With the division going on and the hatred spewed on both sides, I see any one of them snapping at the other trying to do harm. Teens can be horrible and go to great lengths to make you look bad.

How is media going to spin this one? Considering that they are blowing it up, my guess a plot twist is coming.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Remember when Tucker Carlson very recently said cameras in classrooms should be standard practice?

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 01:24 PM
link   

The bad part is, it looks like it's only going to be the teacher's word against the student's on whether or not they were slapped or hit. A teacher is never going to win that argument these days, unless there are cameras present in the classroom. All circumstantial evidence looks damning for the teacher without video of proof otherwise. The teacher should have known better, but when some people get their feelings hurt, you never know how far they are going to fly off the handle. It's everywhere today.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 01:25 PM
link   
The teacher will not have to wait in line behind officials charged with child abuse for force-vaccinating the children. Not in Florida.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Deetermined

There's no video inside the classroom, but what video there is seems to possibly catch the teacher in a lie.That is, IF both of these sources are accurate.

Lee told police, according to the report, that she left her door open when the student was in her classroom.

www.usatoday.com...

The video footage revealed the following, according to the police report:
8:21:50 a.m.: Lee leaves her classroom by the back door.
8:22:59 a.m.: Lee returns at an "aggressive pace," leading the student. Both enter the classroom's back door.
8:23:02 a.m.: Lee motions away the student at the front door and closed the front door.
8:23:31 a.m.: Lee shuts the rear door.
8:24:13 a.m.: The student exits the rear door of the classroom. According to the report, her "demeanor seems low" and she is holding the front of her face. She goes directly to the guidance office.

Jacksonville.com

edit on 11/2/21 by BrokenCircles because: Fixed Link

<<   2  3 >>

join