It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Entire Fast Food Clusters Closed due to lack of Workers

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: carewemust

Perfect example.
4+ years and $150k in expenses to get a job that didn't require a degree.

My daughter goes to university, tuition is NOwhere near 150K.
I was actually shocked, shocked how cheap tuition was.

What is expensive, food, housing. That’s expensive even if you don’t go to college.
It’s really expensive if you finance it over 4-6 years!!!

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
a reply to: Nyiah

To add to my post, I'd just like to point out a final thought. It's basically a low-rumble Worker's Revolt going on, and it's a multi-pronged one.

Example One:
People know they've been underpaid and overworked, and people know employers are currently majorly hurting for employees. Ergo, now that they know their worth was undershot, it's a bargaining Ace up the sleeve, considering the applicant gulf.

Example Two:
The Screw-Off crowd such as myself are the ones holding that carrot now. Either work with us on this medical #, or resolve to being understaffed, and maybe out of business entirely. This is a BIG negotiation card, especially considering that recently realized actual worker worth.

Example Three:
Many folks who formerly had a dual-income household, are finding a single-breadwinner one isn't half bad. Kinda sweet, actually, many are finding the extra income only bought extra stressors they don't actually need. MANY mamas, and some dads, aren't gong back, people. People got a taste of what it was like to be a real, solid nuclear family again, and it's actually a good feeling!

So yeah, worker's revolt. Low-key one, but it's there. Wages were a catalyst, but right now it's personal bodily autonomy rights driving this train. As I said, if people want normal business operations again, they're going to have to # or get off the pot about this one (mandatory vax #)

“Example Three:
Many folks who formerly had a dual-income household, are finding a single-breadwinner one isn't half bad. Kinda sweet, actually, many are finding the extra income only bought extra stressors they don't actually need. MANY mamas, and some dads, aren't gong back, people. People got a taste of what it was like to be a real, solid nuclear family again, and it's actually a good feeling!”

Pisses me off…I’ve spent my entire adult life saying that and all but a handful of women acted like I was some kind of Neanderthal. You can thank Feminism for browbeating women into thinking they weren't REAL women unless they worked outside the home. The result? Massive increases in divorce, out of wedlock births, drug and alcohol dependency, consumer debt (to soak up all that second income in a two parent family) and a sea change in domestic politics that favor Progressives, who took Daddy’s place at the table. Pfff…. I’ll get off my soapbox now.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

a reply to: carewemust

Perfect example.
4+ years and $150k in expenses to get a job that didn't require a degree.

My daughter goes to university, tuition is NOwhere near 150K.
I was actually shocked, shocked how cheap tuition was.

What is expensive, food, housing. That’s expensive even if you don’t go to college.
It’s really expensive if you finance it over 4-6 years!!!

Don't all expenses count?

$15k tuition.
$15k housing and other expenses.
That's $30k a year
Times 4 years is $120k.

I know Indiana university averages $26k per year so still over $100k for a bachelor's degree.
Those are state resident prices too so out of state is basically double.

Try a private college.
Bethel, Huntington, st. Francis,,, all local private colleges are over $30k for just tuition.

I should add that the on campus housing is owned by the colleges.

edit on 19-8-2021 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thoughtcrime

originally posted by: Nyiah

To add to my post, I'd just like to point out a final thought. It's basically a low-rumble Worker's Revolt going on, and it's a multi-pronged one.

Example One:
People know they've been underpaid and overworked, and people know employers are currently majorly hurting for employees. Ergo, now that they know their worth was undershot, it's a bargaining Ace up the sleeve, considering the applicant gulf.

Example Two:
The Screw-Off crowd such as myself are the ones holding that carrot now. Either work with us on this medical #, or resolve to being understaffed, and maybe out of business entirely. This is a BIG negotiation card, especially considering that recently realized actual worker worth.

Example Three:
Many folks who formerly had a dual-income household, are finding a single-breadwinner one isn't half bad. Kinda sweet, actually, many are finding the extra income only bought extra stressors they don't actually need. MANY mamas, and some dads, aren't gong back, people. People got a taste of what it was like to be a real, solid nuclear family again, and it's actually a good feeling!

So yeah, worker's revolt. Low-key one, but it's there. Wages were a catalyst, but right now it's personal bodily autonomy rights driving this train. As I said, if people want normal business operations again, they're going to have to # or get off the pot about this one (mandatory vax #)

“Example Three:
Many folks who formerly had a dual-income household, are finding a single-breadwinner one isn't half bad. Kinda sweet, actually, many are finding the extra income only bought extra stressors they don't actually need. MANY mamas, and some dads, aren't gong back, people. People got a taste of what it was like to be a real, solid nuclear family again, and it's actually a good feeling!”

Pisses me off…I’ve spent my entire adult life saying that and all but a handful of women acted like I was some kind of Neanderthal. You can thank Feminism for browbeating women into thinking they weren't REAL women unless they worked outside the home. The result? Massive increases in divorce, out of wedlock births, drug and alcohol dependency, consumer debt (to soak up all that second income in a two parent family) and a sea change in domestic politics that favor Progressives, who took Daddy’s place at the table. Pfff…. I’ll get off my soapbox now.

For what it's worth, we're definitely on the same page when it comes to your "soapbox" -- but it's a rant for other threads. Suffice it to say, I expect strained marriages to mend more than people expect over the next year or two as people adapt further to single-income homes.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: generik

a reply to: JAGStorm

gee i wonder why the credit union can't find tellers.

Do they even need tellers? I havent had actually go INTO a bank or credit union in quite awhile. Most stuff can be done online. The only reason I would have to go in would be to make a cash deposit.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: coop039

originally posted by: generik

gee i wonder why the credit union can't find tellers.

Do they even need tellers? I havent had actually go INTO a bank or credit union in quite awhile. Most stuff can be done online. The only reason I would have to go in would be to make a cash deposit.

There are some things that must be done by tellers.
Opening accounts, cashier checks, etc...
But you are correct that there are less need than just a decade ago.

My wife's company has live video tellers that work in an off site office. Like ATM machines with a video screen

Don't forget that many, especially older, people are afraid of online banking.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 12:00 PM
link   
If I could go back to 2019 with the knowledge I have now, I could have started a bait and tackle shop and made a mint in a year. All those people paid to not work in 2020 probably did quite a bit of fishing...

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I work for a company that picks up bagged trash at apartment complexes, it's not a fun job. But it is a decent part time gig, $14 an hour with a flat rate option that comes out to be about $20 an hour if your quick on your feet.

Early stages of the pandemic we saw a hiring slow down, but it wasn't bad. Then we lost a few people and the trouble started. We were only getting a few applicants a month.

A lot of them would work for one day then quit.

As of last week we are starting to see a huge turn around. We aren't getting many applicants but we are getting quality applicants that really want to work.

Just today I pushed two people into our background check process. However we seem to be in this constant state of flux, we get stable for a day or two then something happens and we lose what little stability we had.

I'm holding out hope that this trend of improvement holds. I won't be able to handle my job much longer if it doesn't.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
If I could go back to 2019 with the knowledge I have now, I could have started a bait and tackle shop and made a mint in a year. All those people paid to not work in 2020 probably did quite a bit of fishing...

We'd all be filthy rich!!
Gamestop
TP, hand sanitizer
Mask companies, big pharma.
REAL ESTATE!

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Play Doh and crayons in 2016...

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 01:35 PM
link   

It's not just low skill labor jobs that are not filled.
I can't find enough skilled labor to fill jobs
My wife's credit union can't find tellers.
$15 an hour for tellers.... Nope.

Damn, Wendy’s down the street from me is offering $15/hr. Might wanna bump up that pay a little.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad

It's not just low skill labor jobs that are not filled.
I can't find enough skilled labor to fill jobs
My wife's credit union can't find tellers.
$15 an hour for tellers.... Nope.

Damn, Wendy’s down the street from me is offering $15/hr. Might wanna bump up that pay a little.

Location has a great deal to do with pay rates
Is the $15/hr Wendy's job in an urban area or a more rural area?

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

They wouldn't have a single worker here.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 02:40 PM
link   

“For what it's worth, we're definitely on the same page when it comes to your "soapbox" -- but it's a rant for other threads. Suffice it to say, I expect strained marriages to mend more than people expect over the next year or two as people adapt further to single-income homes.”

Cool. And you’re right—I kinda tip-toed over the line and threatened to derail the thread!

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 02:44 PM
link   

a reply to: Middleoftheroad

They wouldn't have a single worker here.

Wait…wasn’t $15/hr what folks were fighting over just two years ago, when Seattle and other cities mandated that rate as the new Minimum Wage, touted as a ‘livable wage’? Boy, THAT sure increased fast. I know inflation has reared its head, but $15/ hr was supposed to put minimum wage earners aheadof the curve.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Fast food is low hanging fruit. Automate and remove low paying service based roles. Add some concierge/host like positions that pay well for dine in and robotize the drive-throughs and the rest of the business. They can even fold in the leasing of the robots into the franchise fees.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Haha, I don't think this one has many either. The line is always around the whole Wendy's, so I never go but I'd assume they are in dire need of help with Starting at $15/hr posted on their big Wendy's street sign. I had to do a double-take since I know the pay in my area and it's typically like $8/hr here in Indiana where I live.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I’ve seen three restaurants in my area (not fast food) close within the past couple weeks due to a lack of workers…

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 12:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad

Haha, I don't think this one has many either. The line is always around the whole Wendy's, so I never go but I'd assume they are in dire need of help with Starting at $15/hr posted on their big Wendy's street sign. I had to do a double-take since I know the pay in my area and it's typically like $8/hr here in Indiana where I live.

and that is exactly what needs to happen right now if they want workers. if what people consider better jobs are paying $8/hour, by paying $15/hour they are likely to get the staff they need. since that almost double the pay, makes such a crap job compete with the jobs people would prefer to have. the job might suck, but the pay may make working that sucky job worth it.

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I saw signs outside Wendy’s 700/wk starting plus cash sign on bonus. That ain’t bad for flipping burgers and making change.

Just like many places in the US, we have a cluster of fast food place in a town near us.
McDonald’s, Burger King etc.

Several of them are now “temporarily” CLOSED due to lack of workers! Not one, or two or three, but several. People are starting to freak out a bit here now. Can’t get their Mcdee’s Coke, or Whopper, or Kentucky fried chicken. I think things are going to get weird here real soon. I noticed lots of noise on social media starting.

I know a lot of people want to blame unemployment benefits yada yada, I think that is a very small part.
Right now so many places are hiring at top wages, you’d be stupid to work fast food, so they aren’t. All the college kids I know
Are working at Menards, much higher pay and easy easy job. Teens are all working at Kwik Trip due to their very flexible hours.
Fast food better catch up or they are going to fold real quick. Bring out the robots, or higher pay or something. I think we are going to see a fast food revolution of sorts.

The other aspect of fast food, customers treat the workers like crap. I know a young lady that worked fast food during the height of Covid. The way she was treated was inexcusable. It wasn’t a rare thing either, it was a daily occurrence. She recently quit and I don’t blame her one bit. Who wants to work a thankless, low paying, greasy job?

www.fox6now.com...

Potratz said he’s increased wages for his line-cook position by as much as $3 an hour compared to pre-pandemic wages. The position now starts between $16 and $19 an hour, with a dollar-an-hour bonus after learning the menu, but still no bites.

Hmmm would you rather be a line cook, or work in an cushy air conditioned job for at least $5 more an hour?
Some restaurants are raising wages and trying to pass it onto customers, that isn’t working out so well either.
The fancy restaurants near us aren’t doing so hot either, so they are putting cute signs on their menus that says “nobody wants to work, please be patient”

I’ll give some insight to how short we are of workers here. I needed landscaping help and all the companies are booked. I paid teens $50hr to help and one of them never even returned!! Can you imagine $50 an hour as a teen? The neighbors offering $20hr for lawn help have no clue why nobody is responding.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join