It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Entire Fast Food Clusters Closed due to lack of Workers

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

It's not all just the wages & standard lazy asses, though. A lot, and I mean A LOT of business owners are getting the hint that folks are not going to just roll over & take shot requirements like a ho, or be ok with the current neutral "Maybe".

I mentioned in another thread not too long ago, a few local places that have outright asked if I was interested already know I'm contingent on no force one way or the other of any kind, and they're getting more turn-downs from people who won't take "We may or may not, government depending" as a satisfactory Y/N vax/masking answer than they are from people ok with the requirement(s) possibility(ies).

I'm not the only person saying, "If I have to get loaded up from the syringe first, then the job's not worth much." This is what's going to be a swift gut punch, it already is in a way. If people don't like the setbacks and delays, I suggest nutting up, folks. Meaning, one side can hold out far longer than the other. Start meeting in the middle, get the drift?

I'm firm on my position here, you all can just languish with backorders, shortages, closings and just fricking suffer (not you JAG & similar, the whine-asses can suck it)
edit on 8/19/2021 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Fast Food wages are not enough to live on; and if people can get a job somewhere else that pays more; they would be foolish not to.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: generik

The have chairs.
They wear masks.
They are behind plexiglass Shields.
They don't have cash drawers anymore.
Full benefits package. (Vacation, pto, 401k, health insurance)
Sure there is a risk of covid and robbery.

Consideration must be given to the area as well in regards to crime and cost of living.

Besides, teller jobs are a starting position and not a long term career. If you are forty years old with no more job skills than is need for a teller position you probably made some bad life choices

edit on 19-8-2021 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

To add to my post, I'd just like to point out a final thought. It's basically a low-rumble Worker's Revolt going on, and it's a multi-pronged one.

Example One:
People know they've been underpaid and overworked, and people know employers are currently majorly hurting for employees. Ergo, now that they know their worth was undershot, it's a bargaining Ace up the sleeve, considering the applicant gulf.

Example Two:
The Screw-Off crowd such as myself are the ones holding that carrot now. Either work with us on this medical #, or resolve to being understaffed, and maybe out of business entirely. This is a BIG negotiation card, especially considering that recently realized actual worker worth.

Example Three:
Many folks who formerly had a dual-income household, are finding a single-breadwinner one isn't half bad. Kinda sweet, actually, many are finding the extra income only bought extra stressors they don't actually need. MANY mamas, and some dads, aren't gong back, people. People got a taste of what it was like to be a real, solid nuclear family again, and it's actually a good feeling!

So yeah, worker's revolt. Low-key one, but it's there. Wages were a catalyst, but right now it's personal bodily autonomy rights driving this train. As I said, if people want normal business operations again, they're going to have to # or get off the pot about this one (mandatory vax #)
edit on 8/19/2021 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/19/2021 by Nyiah because: Coming close to breaking the pre-coffee typo record...

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 08:42 AM
link   

These people you speak of are going to love the increase in consumer prices and inflation that comes as a result of their demands.
Most successful businesses run on a profit margin around 7 to 10 percent and they will raise prices to maintain that margin or just close down.

It's all going to come tumbling down eventually

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Funny how "lack of workers" places working people into the "unemployed" category due to businesses closing up 😃

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: dandandat2

If unemployment benefits is only s small part of what is causing this issue... ... where is all the extra work coming from? If your area had enough employees in 2019 to staff both the fast food industry and "what people consider good jobs" adequately; the "good job" positions must have increased in preparation to what fast food has lost in 2021....

A couple of reasons.
In our state, aging population
Migration from other parts of the state and other states
Lack of workers was starting to happen pre-Covid, we were supplementing with seasonal workers from other countries. That got reduced big time.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

It's not just low skill labor jobs that are not filled.
I can't find enough skilled labor to fill jobs
My wife's credit union can't find tellers.
$15 an hour for tellers.... Nope.

15$ an hour is absolutely nothing here. There is no adult (meaning non teen/college student)
That would take a job for that pay now. There was a guy adverting for 25hr and can’t get people.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 10:11 AM
link   

These people you speak of are going to love the increase in consumer prices and inflation that comes as a result of their demands.
Most successful businesses run on a profit margin around 7 to 10 percent and they will raise prices to maintain that margin or just close down.

It's all going to come tumbling down eventually

You're right, it WILL tumble down eventually.

So with that in mind, what's REALLY worth an employer digging their heels in over? I doubt that shot push is going to be a priority much longer as more of them start creeping up to their own cliff edge. The government can only hamstring indies for so long before they fight back. Again.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 10:14 AM
link   

You're right, it WILL tumble down eventually. So with that in mind, what's REALLY worth an employer digging their heels in over? I doubt that shot push is going to be a priority much longer as more of them start creeping up to their own cliff edge. The government can only hamstring indies for so long before they fight back. Again.

These places are cutting off their noses to spite their face.
At some point you can’t raise prices that much, you’ll lose customers and still have to pay staff. There is a very fine line.
At some point franchises (I’m speaking about fast food only not the whole economy) will have to give some of the profits to workers and keep fast food somewhat reasonable. GASP I know the horror, the franchise owner and big corporate owners won’t be able to buy that second, third, fourth, fifth yacht!

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: PolyATS

Wait a little. Once the Afghan refugees arrive this "problem" will resolve.

One of our employment problems is the lack of “immigrants”. The places that you can see this the most
Are the resort type of areas. Pre-covid they were staffed almost exclusively with them.
College kids don’t want to work dealing with Karens or Kens and their bratty kids.
I’m telling you this next generation is smarter than we give them credit for.

Shoooooweeee, if I could use a time machine and go back there are a lot of jobs I would not have done!!!
A lot of fast food and similar places have taken advantage of workers for too long.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

It's not just low skill labor jobs that are not filled.
I can't find enough skilled labor to fill jobs
My wife's credit union can't find tellers.
$15 an hour for tellers.... Nope.

15$ an hour is absolutely nothing here. There is no adult (meaning non teen/college student)
That would take a job for that pay now. There was a guy adverting for 25hr and can’t get people.

I was just pointing out that employers can't even fill low skill starter jobs. An 18 yr old high school grad can do this job and move up within the company over a couple years and have full benefits the whole time.
People have gotten used to living off the government dollar.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

“ Some of our local restaurants have started reducing hours and closing Sundays. I know the managers of these places. All of them point to employee shortages. You can add convenience stores to that list as well. They're staying open but under staffed.”

That brings up a good point. My wife and I disagree on the effect of the Covid unemployment payments. I say that those who used to work at 7-11 have decided to stay home and get paid. She thinks they’ve moved on to better jobs. I told her it’s not like unskilled labor (those who work at 7-11, waiters/waitresses, etc) are taking jobs as plumbers, brain surgeons or hedge fund managers…so where are they going? It’s not like they’ve started working for more money at the nationwide department store or taking a job at Chili’s —‘cause they’re hurting for employees too!

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I was just pointing out that employers can't even fill low skill starter jobs. An 18 yr old high school grad can do this job and move up within the company over a couple years and have full benefits the whole time. People have gotten used to living off the government dollar.

I just glanced at indeed, a lot of starter jobs are going for 25 to 35 hr with sign on bonuses!!
You can’t blame people living off the government dollar, these college kids have never done that.
I think this is just a perfect storm for employers. One job in particular are school bus drivers. Here the average
Age for bus drivers is 60. They said bus drivers don’t want to deal with Covid so they have left the industry, that doesn’t have to do with government dollar.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Thoughtcrime

I told her it’s not like unskilled labor (those who work at 7-11, waiters/waitresses, etc) are taking jobs as plumbers, brain surgeons or hedge fund managers…so where are they going? It’s not like they’ve started working for more money at the nationwide department store or taking a job at Chili’s —‘cause they’re hurting for employees too!

Just like I mentioned previously, they are going to places that jobs swelled during Covid but have much better working conditions and pay. In our area that is Menards (hardware store). Lots of people at home doing home projects and these places were smart and started paying more off the bat. In our area certain gas stations, corner stores did the same thing. I know 15yr old working there because they are super super flexible with schedules. People that are a little older, maybe early 20s are doing a lot of warehouse jobs. Again these are jobs that exploded due to Covid, driving, picking, packing.

Then there are a couple of groups that just stopped working. People that were close enough to retirement they just went early. Two income families that decided to live on one income. People that have enough money and are waiting for Covid to get better, they are not really retired and not really working.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 10:39 AM
link   

We have also had several generations of kids raised that have been told college is the only way and ate afraid to get their hands dirty.
The trades are dying and aging out.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 10:40 AM
link   

I went to Taco Bell yesterday. They had a sign on over the menu listing 8 items they were out of, due to lack of ingredients. First time I've seen that one.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 10:43 AM
link   

We have also had several generations of kids raised that have been told college is the only way and ate afraid to get their hands dirty.
The trades are dying and aging out.

One of my sons graduated college 3 months ago with a B.S. in Law Enforcement. Those salaries suck, so he went to work with a company that started him out at $30 @ hour, as a construction assistant. Happy. Not hard work. Good for a few years, I guess.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Perfect example.
4+ years and $150k in expenses to get a job that didn't require a degree.

posted on Aug, 19 2021 @ 10:53 AM
link   

a reply to: carewemust

Perfect example.
4+ years and $150k in expenses to get a job that didn't require a degree.

Wife is a school teacher. Get a 4 year degree, or you're dog meat, is how teachers think.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join