It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If animals are sentient should we rethink how we treat them?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2021 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Humans are sentient and people treat each other like garbage. Not sure why a sentient animal would be any different.

posted on Mar, 11 2021 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Perspective shift: animals don't have the same types of intelligence.

Ignore levels. You are measuring them against yourself, which from the perspective of logic, is a level of hubris that is lofty even for humans.

posted on Mar, 11 2021 @ 02:30 PM
link   
"Should we treat sentient animals differently" I would say something snarky like why yes you typically cook them 15 mins longer, but we already do treat them differently in society as a whole, so I guess the question is how much sentient are we talking here to go over that threshold of awareness to qualify?

Saying that we do kill sentients all the time including ourselves...

posted on Mar, 11 2021 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
Humans can't stop treating each other like total garbage so this seems like a really tall order.

It's a good thing the human species resides on additional planets besides Earth.

posted on Mar, 11 2021 @ 07:25 PM
link   
The Bible says humans job is to act as the stewards of the animal kingdom. Don't think a castle steward is meant to pack the walls with gun powder and blow them sky high...i think they protect and keep a castle. We are not the exploiting executioners of.

You also have philosophers and theologists, Swedenborg even being one of them I believe, who believes we fell from the half etheric half material interdimensional to the material world trapped in it because of deciding to let animals eat their share of vitamins and minerals and alll then just cheating by eating their flesh then. Don't know but again I am pretty sure he and others believe all animals were vegetarian until our doing so caused a serious rift in the universal fabric causing animals to follow suit. It has no scientific basis but it's a good thought to toss around your head even if just metaphorically.
edit on 3/11/2021 by AlexandrosTheGreat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2021 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: AlexandrosTheGreat

It would be nice to be able to think of something profound, But it's fairly obvious many animals can work out some pretty difficult problems, sometimes ones that humans have problems with, this has to mean they can think and reason. How if they don't have language? You might as a human believe you are thinking in the language that you were socialized with. But proving that you think in English or Chinese, is impossible to prove. The thinking language might be a universal thing that is common to all sentient beings and language just a regional code. This could well mean a human really is just a being on this Earth that has escaped being part of the natural food chain simply by using an enhanced toolmaking ability. Along with a nonseasonal sex drive suggests that at some stage we had to reproduce at a fast rate to make up for natural attrition or go extinct ourselves. During that phase life was short and brutal, and would mean old age would have been a thing of the future and the ability to pass on life experience to the next generation would be very difficult. By beating this now we seem to have another no-win situation stuck with the degradation of the only planet we can live on with increasing numbers of human biomass, and falling numbers of everything else. It will be interesting from now on.This ones interesting, I wonder whats going through his mind.

edit on 11-3-2021 by anonentity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 02:54 AM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

No.

A lion does not care what a gazelle thinks when it eats one.

A lion doesn't care what a person thinks when it eats one.

End of story.

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 03:43 AM
link   

I'm confused why anyone would debate whether they are sentient.

Sentient is defined as:

1 : responsive to or conscious of sense impressions sentient beings
2 : aware
3 : finely sensitive in perception or feeling

I mean single celled life forms are sentient.

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 03:47 AM
link   
And BTW humans are animals and we are sentient. We are primates, the same as in your video.

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
Humans are sentient and people treat each other like garbage. Not sure why a sentient animal would be any different.

I don’t believe all humans are sentient. On my trip around the states I met many who didn’t seem to possess this trait. This was mainly in Texas and Florida. After a number of experiments I decided to document my findings in my travel diary. I still hope to publish these revelations someday.

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat
And BTW humans are animals and we are sentient. We are primates, the same as in your video.

I disagree and am going to fling some fresh poo at you now.

edit on 12-3-2021 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 06:13 PM
link   
They seem to think more with their stomachs then their brains, and just have a better time being, and dont question their existence as much.

Orcas are pretty smart, socialbe an can be empathetic to us too, but will play with their food.
edit on 12-3-2021 by Specimen88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2021 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Specimen88
They seem to think more with their stomachs then their brains, and just have a better time being, and dont question their existence as much.

Orcas are pretty smart, socialbe an can be empathetic to us too, but will play with their food.
Because those aren’t assumptions you’ve projected on them, they told you lol

posted on Mar, 13 2021 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: DougHole64

I don’t believe all humans are sentient. On my trip around the states I met many who didn’t seem to possess this trait. This was mainly in Texas and Florida. After a number of experiments I decided to document my findings in my travel diary. I still hope to publish these revelations someday.
oh an elitist looking down on others on the Internet, what a surprise! The hive mind (insect) brain seems to always come out in densely populated areas like nyc, San Francisco, Seattle, Portland...

posted on Mar, 13 2021 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Look, Humans are animals too. We are predators. We are technically carnivores, but mostly omnivores. Humans can live off meat and only meat, we cannot live off only vegetables unless we supplement. For hundreds of thousands of years, we lived off almost entirely a carnivorous diet, safe for a few roots and berries here and there.

We do need to find a way to stop animal cruelty. I have no problem getting to know an animal and making sure it has a good life before consuming it so I may live. I would rather hunt my prey and allow a natural life & death of my food. Yes, I consider a hunted animal dying of natural causes, that's just the way life goes.

The only rethinking we need to do is to be more considerate of their lives while they are alive.

posted on Mar, 13 2021 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: edaced4

When most people say Sentient what they really mean is Sapient, they just don't know any better.

posted on Mar, 13 2021 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rob808

oh an elitist looking down on others on the Internet, what a surprise! The hive mind (insect) brain seems to always come out in densely populated areas like nyc, San Francisco, Seattle, Portland...

For three long and hot days I attempted to conduct the ‘Mirror Test’ in Austin, TX. Many gazed at the mirror, some were curious, some seemed confused, but none recognised themselves. I have documented these findings in detail and have recently sent my journals to New Scientist Magazine who I am confident will be very interested.

posted on Mar, 14 2021 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rob808

For three long and hot days I attempted to conduct the ‘Mirror Test’ in Austin, TX. Many gazed at the mirror, some were curious, some seemed confused, but none recognised themselves. I have documented these findings in detail and have recently sent my journals to New Scientist Magazine who I am confident will be very interested.

I hate to break it to you, but you were just looking at the bathroom mirror the whole time, the people in the magic glass actually were just you.

posted on Mar, 20 2021 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: edaced4
Of course animals are sentient!! Look up any meaning of the word...

en.wikipedia.org...

Basically the capacity to feel and be aware.

And of course we should rethink how we treat them.

Like this girl, Bella:

Woman tries to drown dog
Bella surely knew what was happening. She was aware

Yet the argument of progressives, the left, is that unborn children, and even newborns, cannot express themselves hence are not truly human beings... They are just a group of cells, similar to cancer cells...

People should be questioning why are HUMANS being dehumanized meanwhile the same people claiming these things about HUMAN BEINGS are the same people that want to claim "we must stop what is happening to chickens in large farms, and other animals."

I am not in favor of animal cruelty. But the last time this sort of mentality was embraced by a whole nation what came next is what is known as the Holocaust.

edit on 20-3-2021 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join