It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon promotes teacher program that seeks to undo 'racism in mathematics'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

If they surmise that minority students need to be taught differently, then perhaps they are suggesting a type of segregation should be implemented.

If you read the hyperlinks from the equitablemath.org page, you will see the extent of what they are trying to embed into the minds of not only minority children, but white children as well. They use words like "dark suffering" and this statement is a bit disturbing to me:

We must stay committed to the role that mathematics teaching and learning plays in our current Black Lives Matter mo(ve)ment and an antiracist society.

(bolding mine)

This is how insidious some of these programs are. They sound altruistic and attempt to portray their agenda as something for the greater good, but we should always stop, look, evaluate, and point out those things that are agenda-driven by some other groups.

I want nothing to do with BLM. They are not the influence I want in schools. A little research shows you just who these people really are. No, thank you.

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Teacher: Good answer, but 5 is 6-1, and 4+1, and 2+2+2.. 

2+2+2=6?

Oh wait...✋

Erm...?

Oh. Wtf?

They are saying instead of focusing soley on the answer... focus on the process, how its done, and other ways of things to get the result, and if an answer is provided that doesnt match the desired result.. work through that response and how they got there, and where the logic takes them so they can discover where that logic goes... it allows them to self discover mistakes, and teaches critical thinking.

Maths teachers have been doing that for decades, centuries even.

What is this nonsense actually bringing to the table other than ethnic division?

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Didn't you know that anyone that isn't white is as dumb as a bag of rocks? /S

edit on 1222021 by Wide-Eyes because: Sarcasm in case you thought I was serious. These arsehole Dems will do everything in their power to keep minorities down where they want them. How anybody can support these oppressors is beyond me...

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Stuff like this makes me disappointed, also frustrated.

Check the current year. I did. Seems to be 2021 or so. Why can't we, humankind as a whole, just ditch skin color as an issue with any kind of weight or relevance to anything.

Short string of DNA defines it. Skin color. The rest is up to the rest of the DNA and of course environmental influences while the person grows from a kid to an adult.

Some people are black. Some people like blue t-shirts. Some people like action movies. Some people like spicy chicken wings. What should that tell me about the person? Absolutely nothing. I would have to meet the person and see for myself how that person is like.

There are awesome people and total uh... avoiding profanity here... total idiots, in every race there is.

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

If there is no measurement then there are no offense. Justice for all

Justice is blind and holds no scales.

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 11:47 PM
link   
They just keep pounding those catch phrases
“White Supremacy “
They are trying to reprogram everyone
Fingers In Ears and Eyes

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Wait till these clowns realize that our numbers come from Islamic origins (well Arabic, but anything from the middle east is Islamic to these people). So them wanting to get ride of maths is just Islamophobia.

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

There is a very good reason our teacher taught us math the way they did...

It f'n WORKS!!!

My teacher drilled me for hours when I was learning to multiply, and divide. Adding and subtracting, too.

All my friends, regardless of skin tone, learned the same way...and by golly, they knew how, just like me. ...and I'm nothin' remotely resembling a mathematics whiz.

This is, as you say, beyond stupid. If this is what being "woke" is all about...I'll stay sleepin'.

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 01:09 AM
link   

This is utterly stupid.

Reading the handbook there’s stuff like this...

White supremacy culture shows up in math classrooms when...

Students are required to “show their work.”

Math teachers ask students to show work so that teachers know what students are thinking, but that centers the teacher’s need to understand rather than student learning. It becomes a crutch for teachers seeking to understand what students are thinking and less of a tool for students in learning how to process. Thus, requiring students to show their work reinforces worship of the written word as well as paternalism.

equitablemath.org...

Absolutely nothing to do with white supremacy.

edit on 13/2/21 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Title should be 'Oregon promotes teacher program that seeks to undo mathematics via racism'

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Umm, these days we seem to be circling back to some odd episodes in our history:

The Indiana Pi Bill is the popular name for bill #246 of the 1897 sitting of the Indiana General Assembly, one of the most notorious attempts to establish mathematical truth by legislative fiat.

Cheers

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Is this actually real, or just somebody spouting off?

I ask as I 've been hearing things like this for literally decades, and the usually amount to little more than somebody standing up at a meeting and giving some random leftist rhetoric that nobody ever seriously listens to. I've heard pretty much the same thing said in regards to math being sexist for much the same reasons.

When you get right down to it the entire thing boils down to somebody saying "Minoritieswomen are to dumb to to mathscience, so lets turn it into sociology and make it about feelings instead of calculations".

Again, I 've been hearing this for decades, and at most what happens is they make a subject easier by taking out some of the harder formula or by making it open book.

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 02:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

This is utterly stupid.

And if the teacher is white and the student is a minority?

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 02:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes
a reply to: queenofswords

Didn't you know that anyone that isn't white is as dumb as a bag of rocks? /S

Sadly, a lot of what we're hearing about these days as being "racist" or "sexist" seems to be people saying that women andor minorities aren't succeeding in certain areas because they're too difficult, and that women andor minorities are less capable than menwhite people when it comes to things that require a rigid set of standards. So these standards must be relaxed in order to help women andor minorities.

We seem to hear about this most in areas such as math and science where there is a lot of calculations involved, and where you are required to follow a specific method to reach a specific answer. We're also starting to hear about it in areas such as language where the left are arguing that we need to pay less attention to spelling , punctuation and grammar. Which are again prescriptive rule based systems.

From where I stand, it looks as if the left looking to redefine everything in terms of feelings rather than facts.

If you're set a science project and you write a good presentation that grabs the reader's attention and speaks to them on an emotional level (such as a plan to solve the energy crisis), then you get a good grade, even if the actual science behind it is total garbage.

But if you invent cold fusion, and write a rigid 50,000 thesis on how you did it, but the reader isn't stirred emotionally, then you get a low grade.

The rest is pure dumbing down.

Not enough people from a certain group are passing mathscience class, so rather than improving the standard of mathscience teaching you simply delete the parts of the curriculum that they are struggling with.

Right now, America is losing ground to Asia at a terrifying rate when it comes to math and science. Chinese schools are teaching math in high school that rivals the math that I did in college. The last things that schools should be doing is dumbing down. They should be moving away from the social sciences ad towards that hard sciences. While American children are hearing about how a character in a fictional novel felt when they were marginalized in an event that didn't really happen but some author felt was important to express, Chinese and Korean kids are studying the the kind of things that they need to know to build the next generation of smart phone, or how to build a better missile to fire at an American aircraft carrier.

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Nah that article says “white supremacy equals the right answer....”

Quit sayin 2+2=4, and you’re not a racist loser.

Got it...

edit on 13-2-2021 by slatesteam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 06:23 AM
link   
No, math isnt racist. Reality is cold and unmoved by skin color just like numbers.
Children today’s lesson is in propaganda. I’m going to teach you how the whole world around you is actually racist, let’s talk about math. I want you to remember today’s lesson, 1+1= vote democrat kids!

edit on 13-2-2021 by Rob808 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Saying "good" when the answer is wrong is just. well, plain wrong.
It misdirects the child
Basic logic escapes that "method"

Besides, the rest of their drivel is a different "pedagogy" rife with false accusations that the existing one is somehow racist, false accusations that are themselves racist.

posted on Feb, 14 2021 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

This is utterly stupid.

Reading the handbook there’s stuff like this...

White supremacy culture shows up in math classrooms when...

Students are required to “show their work.”

Math teachers ask students to show work so that teachers know what students are thinking, but that centers the teacher’s need to understand rather than student learning. It becomes a crutch for teachers seeking to understand what students are thinking and less of a tool for students in learning how to process. Thus, requiring students to show their work reinforces worship of the written word as well as paternalism.

equitablemath.org...

Math is a series of formulas, that is the process being taught to the children. “Showing their work” isn’t some submissive reinforcement (WTF?????) it’s a way to help teach formulas. I swear these people must give eachother awards for labeling the most ridiculous things as white supremacy. They show their 100% approved bigotry every time they call something white supremacy.

posted on Feb, 14 2021 @ 09:52 AM
link   
This is making me crazy just wondering what their logic on this is.

I mean math is a true science with universal understanding, how all of a sudden does the wackjob state of OR think its racist?

Our next generation of children are going to be either very stupid or genuinely confused as what to do with the sh!t we handed them

posted on Feb, 14 2021 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

Worship of the written word and paternalism are hallmarks of it. Did you miss the last bit in the descriptor?

Apparently, if we all go back to an all oral culture run by no one but women (and men pretending to be women), we will reach Utopia and such learning will flourish as to make the cultures of Ancient Africa blush with shame.

Now I'm not saying that you didn't get some powerful cultures in Africa, but there's no Wakanda there, either.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join