It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what would it take to start a private school?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

originally posted by: network dude

a reply to: network dude

So you favour " elitism " ?

I'd really like to understand your thinking here, could you please expound on your question and explain it so I can offer a response.

It's simple really.

Private school's would have to be paid for by a means of fee's for the children to attend. That would disqualify gifted children from attending these schools if the parents could bot afford the cost.

We have had the same argument here in The UK for as long as i can remember. You don't see many children here from poor families going to Eton or Harrow school, unless they are lucky to get a grant. Which is very rare.

Eton and Harrow and all other private schools are where all " the top people " have attended. i.e eitism.

In the US, public schools are largely funded by property taxes (homeowners). In addition, the school system is setup so that you can only attend the public school within your district.

This creates the very problem you are talking about even with public schools. Good public school systems are largely in areas with middle to upper income homeowners. So unless you make enough to afford to live in certain communities, then you can't attend the best public schools.

A good example of this is my own personal situation. I grew up in a middle class household. However, my public school sucked because it largely served lower income students. My parents didn't want to send me to the school but couldn't afford to move. Fortunately, I was able to get into a desegregation busing program which sent me to one of the wealthiest school districts in my state. The high school was excellent. However, my parents would have never been able to actually live in that school district.

Private schools and school choice allow motivated parents and teachers to have options.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I'm part of a "homeschool academy". We meet once a week for a full school day with certified teachers. Everyone coordinates on the curriculum for the year. They cover the assignments for the next week, take tests/quizzes, do experiments, and cover the more difficult subjects on that day. The rest of the week is at home and completing the assignments. A small fee is charged per month to pay the teachers. It's usually teachers who want to stay home with their young children or are retired.

It's really ideal. Much much less overhead than starting an actual school. Much more freedom too.
edit on 3-2-2021 by jjkenobi because: (no reason given)

Ours isn't religious based, but I'm sure you can find one that would meet your needs. They are growing explosively the last year and a half due to the public schools idiotic COVID measures.
edit on 3-2-2021 by jjkenobi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 10:45 AM
link   

a reply to: network dude

I would like to play my golf at Pinehurst number 2

Comparing a hobby to a childs education is hardly the same thing.

Education of a child and how he performs sets out the path of his possible future life. Having poor parents not able to afford the childs education is a disadvantage for that child from the onset.

If think in this case we can agree to disagree.

your inequality argument has been addressed. A choice for parents to send their kids to public schools, or have the choice to get a voucher and use that to send their kid to the school of their choice is an option, and one many agree with. So rather than cry about what you can't afford, enact real change that could help everyone make better decisions for their children. It may take some work, but then, anything worth having is worth working for.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Not really.

If the local districts here pay between $12 and $15K/year to educate a child, then a voucher system ought to make than in funds available to parents to apply to the schools of choice. Parents are always free to take the local public school, but some will opt for other schools of their choosing. And that money should go with the child, not automatically to the local school district.

So in a system like that, your crying about the poor gifted child (and his less talented peers) is moot. The money goes with them to the school of their parents' choice.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join