It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what would it take to start a private school?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Since the start of the pandemic, I have been of the mindset that this will be an opportunity to exploit some weaknesses found in our system. Well, we see one big weakness out in front. Teachers unions seem to be a strong deterrent in making better humans. Teachers unions are for public schools.

So we see Catholic schools have opened, and are doing great. Well, that seems ripe for opportunity. We all seem to agree that the curriculum being taught is weak at best. And while I'm sure there are good teachers out there, we really don't know, because they are not working. So starting up a private school, teaching kids along the lines of a goal to make them smarter and able to function in society after they graduate seems like a good idea.

How does it get started? I have no doubt waiting lists will be needed. Find the really good teachers who love to teach and teach well. Provide a well structured learning experience, and include real things like introduction to the trades, household money management, teach them how the financial markets work. Teach them how to use basic survival skills. Teach them how not to suck.

I'm interested in ideas and how to get started with something like this. Something that has nothing at all to do with having some douche bags control our kids future. Something that shows the world, US innovation can overcome adverse situations.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I've heard the suggestion that parents out of work who have degrees in needed areas group together and just do the research and open one in a neighborhood.

I mean think about it - for elementary especially, you don't need a whole lot of actual high level academics, just a lot of patience and the ability to herd cats. There are plenty of online curriculums for all subjects.
edit on 3-2-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
Something that has nothing at all to do with having some douche bags control our kids future.

You're still going to have to deal with them since any prospective school will need to meet the State's requirements and be open to visitation by the persons tasked to ensure they are being met.

That doesn't mean you can't make it better, there are charter schools near me in Newark (the carjack capital of the world) that have waiting lists/lotteries to get into since they are so good.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I'm just thinking of ways to make this all better. And having a group of sh!t suckers control the future of our kids just doesn't seem like a productive way to do business. We need a better way. And what better commodity to invest in than the children of our community?

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 08:50 AM
link   

I agree, the public school system is mediocre at best and is fueled by what they think is an unending supply of tax dollars. The private/charter school voucher system is a solid challenge to that backwards and ineffective paradigm which can turn out a better student for less revenue so I fully support to option.

edit on 3-2-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: Networkdude has no beer

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

School vouchers were needed ten years ago, but I think this has fueled some substantial pushes in some states for it. Of course, you won't get it at the Federal level, and if too many states take the voucher route, you may see EO action to take them out.

I think there has recently been a concerted push in my state for some kind of charter/voucher action, and if we can get eligible for it if it happens we're all in. I'm not extremely upset with the district we're in, but I would like to have some freedom of movement. There are better schools for our son's situation depending on the voucher.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

True. A substitute teacher needs only more than...70-95(?) credits w no degree...to teach.

There are millions....it's a great idea K.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 09:17 AM
link   

what would it take to start a private school?

do it like they did in the old days, build a double wide shed, hire a schoolmarm, and teach reading, riteing and rithamatic.

and when the kids act up, they answered to the tune of a hickory stick.

edit on 3-2-2021 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 09:17 AM
link   
A curriculum, syllabus, an internet connection and name recognition.
All you need to start your own school.
S&F for positive thinking.
Not enough of that around these days.
edit on 3-2-2021 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 09:18 AM
link   

So you favour " elitism " ?

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

Some people considered those with a well-rounded education (which includes the basics of morality and ethics) to be "elitism". I get it, not everyone can become educated. Maybe we should all aspire to lowest denominator status so no ones feelings get hurt.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

Some people considered those with a well-rounded education (which includes the basics of morality and ethics) to be "elitism". I get it, not everyone can become educated. Maybe we should all aspire to lowest denominator status so no ones feelings get hurt.

So bright children who have the ability to get on well with their education, but are held back because their parents cannot afford to pay the fees for these " private schools "

edit on 3-2-2021 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 09:33 AM
link   

So bright children who have the ability to get on well with their education, but are held back because their parents cannot afford to pay the fees for these " private schools "

In fairness, Donald Trump did have a crack at building a university, failed badly due to students complaining about the quality of education provided and was successfully sued for $20 million, so it's not like there isn't a blueprint.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 09:33 AM
link   

I'd really like to understand your thinking here, could you please expound on your question and explain it so I can offer a response.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That's basically a homeschooling co-op. We looked into that before the kids started school and everything was super ultra fundamentalist religion based. Not to say they all are, but it seemed most of them were.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 09:37 AM
link   

It doesn't take much to start a school. Starting one is like any other business. You need a business plan. Will likely need a Board / Advisors of some sort. A plan to hire teachers. Curriculum plan. Figure out an operating budget. Marketing plan to attract students. Figure out facilities / campus situation. Figure out how much to charge in tuition. HOw much you can raise through fund raising.

As someone else mentioned, dealing with the state regulators may be the biggest issue.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 09:40 AM
link   

I'd really like to understand your thinking here, could you please expound on your question and explain it so I can offer a response.

It's simple really.

Private school's would have to be paid for by a means of fee's for the children to attend. That would disqualify gifted children from attending these schools if the parents could bot afford the cost.

We have had the same argument here in The UK for as long as i can remember. You don't see many children here from poor families going to Eton or Harrow school, unless they are lucky to get a grant. Which is very rare.

Eton and Harrow and all other private schools are where all " the top people " have attended. i.e eitism.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 09:41 AM
link   

School has to have funds to operate and everyone in it is responsible for making sure it can do that. Sorry, but a private school needs the money from somewhere.

Your moaning is why a lot of people would like a voucher system that decouples the taxes parents pay for education from the public school system, allowing parents to direct those monies to the schools of their choice.

Btw, why are you only concerned about the gifted children with no money? That in and of itself is a form of elitism while you chide us for elitism.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 09:49 AM
link   

It's simple really.

Private school's would have to be paid for by a means of fee's for the children to attend. That would disqualify gifted children from attending these schools if the parents could bot afford the cost.

We have had the same argument here in The UK for as long as i can remember. You don't see many children here from poor families going to Eton or Harrow school, unless they are lucky to get a grant. Which is very rare.

Eton and Harrow and all other private schools are where all " the top people " have attended. i.e eitism.

OK, looking for a way to offer better education to children isn't "elitism" in my eyes. it's recognizing a problem and looking for a pro-active solution. Our public schools are not good at all. The private schools have a much better curriculum and program. yes, they do have a cost associated with them, but the alternative is just use the *free* version that exists now. If you feel your child is worth spending a little extra money on, and you care about their future, you might want to put some effort into finding ways to get your child enrolled. Find a way to volunteer at the school, offer something of value to offset the cost.

But just complaining that you can't afford it, and therefore it's unfair isn't an argument at all. I would like to play my golf at Pinehurst number 2. I have clubs. Why can't I play there? Well, membership and cost to play is high, well above my means for golf. So I stick to the redneck course near my home. Should I get special privilege to play at the top courses just because I don't make the big bucks? Should they change the rules and cater to my needs? Or do I need to make more money if that's how I want to live?

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 10:07 AM
link   

I would like to play my golf at Pinehurst number 2

Comparing a hobby to a childs education is hardly the same thing.

Education of a child and how he performs sets out the path of his possible future life. Having poor parents not able to afford the childs education is a disadvantage for that child from the onset.

If think in this case we can agree to disagree.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join