It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to GREATLY reduce Police brutality

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

If we are going to hold cops to a higher standard (than they are now) thats all fine and good, but on the flip side people filming it or running to the press with a sensational version of things that helps whip the easily duped into a frenzy need to be held to a standard as well.

I totally agree! Maybe everyone needs to be held to a higher standard.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. Mandatory training up to purple belt.

Tasers are ineffective. It isn't just me saying that either. Tasers tend to get people killed. Both officers and suspects.

Despite Widespread Use, Police Rate Tasers As Less Effective Than Believed

A Taser X26P lies next to a crime scene marker after a police officer in Zion, Ill., tried unsuccessfully to use it on a suspect named Charles Hollstein in 2016. Hollstein struggled with officers after two Tasers failed to subdue him. An officer shot and killed him during the struggle.
Bold emphasis added.

Tasers are talismans and nothing more. Cops who do not have empty hand skills to control their opponents are what I call "tool-belters." I call them that because they go for the tool belt at the first sign of trouble. This may be effective for a while, but it will eventually fail. The reason is the lack of control on the part of the officer. You may think that tool belt affords you control but there WILL come a time when that illusion will fail.

Increase funding. Get better training. Save Lives.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88
a reply to: JAGStorm

Police need to have the authority to use force when necessary in the course of their duty. But that authority needs to come with the proper checks and balances and overstepping that authority needs to be dealt with properly.

That's already how it works. The problem is that when a black person is resisting and fighting off the cops, that person gets beat into submission as it should be, or if he goes for something that might be a gun, you're faced with making a split decision. Cops don't just walk up to people and shoot them or knock them in the head. 99.9% of the time, there's a reason the police officer reacted with violence. The main driving issue here is that even when the cop shoots in self defense now, the media and other groups paint the cop as the racist killer bad guy so they can't even do their job properly anymore without facing a bounty.

I'd like to know why people can walk up to police - who are in their patrol car minding their own business and trying to keep the streets safe - shoot them in the face, run off like a midget, and still can't be apprehended. Nobody seems to focus on that, they always focus on the brutality others face when they break the law and resist the officers.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
a reply to: LSU2018

JUST OBEY, cuz that always works.

Yep, that's the one video out of all the times a shooting has occurred. Like I said, 99.9% of the time, the cops reacts because the other person resists or fights them. 300,000,000 interactions a year and a fraction of a percent of shootings, and even less of a fraction in shooting an innocent person.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Not too good of an idea, a few cops on the police force in an area seem to have the majority of the issues, why should all the good cops have to suffer for a few bad ones. Also, I wouldn't want a cop coming out to my house to negotiate with someone robbing the house, if you start that, it will make a lot more criminals not afraid of getting shot or tossed in prison. If the cops hands are tied from using appropriate force, it will lead to an upswing in crime and a lot more cops getting shot. If we paid the cops double their salary, it would be worth the extra risk, make it so cops get way more than an upper middle class citizen to compromise for the extra risk that they are being asked to take. If you are going to make their job even more dangerous and also effect their sanity because criminals have more rights than they do, then pay them double their present salary. Get the money from raising fines on criminals and drug dealers and keep drug dealers in prison an extra ten years if they do not come up with the money for paying for the cops. Corrupt politicians should be stripped of their wealth, same with scientists that twist evidence to say what it really does not say. Fine people for lying, the government would make a bundle. It will cost you two thousand bucks if you tell your kid that Santa or the easter bunny is real, that would be excellent birth control.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: network dude

Say a cop comes at you bro......and you have your gat. (not sure of that terminology is right) When the cop tells you to "drop the weapon", drop the weapon. Do what they tell you to do. Even if they look and sound mean.

That is great and all, but some portions of the population can't, like those with autism, or mental disorders.
There have been cases where these kinds of people were shot.
But.. yes I do agree, if you are able, follow directions.

you hit on a huge problem in all this that seems to continually get missed. We don't even have a sh!tty mental health system in our country, we have none. I think if we put just a tiny bit of effort into that aspect of society, we might see some exponential results. I hope someone important enough to enact change feels the same way.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 06:30 PM
link   

I don’t have the time of day to post all the videos or stories where police have abused their authority.

It happens too many times IMO.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Don’t have time to post the literal tens of millions of contacts a year that have absolutely nothing happen in them, either, so here we are.

Once is “too many times” so you’re not really going out on a limb with that one.

@ OP - since the overwhelming majority of people killed by law enforcement are a) armed and b) resisting arrest when killed, I’m curious what your alternative to guns would be. Personally, I think a good start would be for people to stop calling the cops because cousin Timmy is off his meds and running around the house naked again.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 07:09 PM
link   

This is an awesome video on how to avoid being arrested, and abused by the police.

Warning it does contain some fowl language though worth a look.

m.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 07:33 PM
link   

I agree but maybe paired with more training the young recruits get more time in the field with senior officers. The majority of cops are good people and want to help, which is in most cases why they joined. We need to be able to give them the proper tools. There is more than enough funds if the Un-needed fat is trimmed

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

It's not about me going out on a limb. There's plenty of documented occurrences of police abusing their authority. You can google all day long and watch plenty of youtube video of police abusing their authority.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Some of these folks can't understand simple statistics and that outlier examples don't reflect a trend.

As long as cops are armed, there will be someone innocent shot. It is simply unavoidable.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: robsmith

This is an awesome video on how to avoid being arrested, and abused by the police.

Warning it does contain some fowl language though worth a look.

m.youtube.com...

OMG, now that’s some funny stuff there, don’t care who you are! Cleaning soda off my Ipad.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD

Lol, sorry I should have mentioned it will make you laugh, its a classic.
edit on 15-9-2020 by robsmith because: Spelling

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 10:21 PM
link   

They're on the street mainly because mental wards were closed down. Open those back up and lots of people with mental disabilities that cause problems can be taken care of by a hospital

I remember the Reagan era when the mental health system was de-funded to give tax payers a much needed perk before his re-election, since nobody would care about a bunch of loonies, and then the progressive eggheads whined about how untrained, armed police would have to play counselor and how there was no way that would end well.

Dumb, over-educated, trained busy bodies should keep their unwanted pertinent observations to themselves.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Perhaps they could have those personality test, like in blade runner.
to uncover lack of empathy, or subconscious rage.
perhaps cops should be required to not be cops all the time.
i have heard it said, that the most effective personality type to be an effective cop, is a low level / functional psychopathy.
I think the same would apply to surgeons, and even nurses to a certain extent.
edit on 00000091059910America/Chicago15 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 06:02 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Right. Completely missed my point, but do you boo boo.

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 06:03 AM
link   
dbl
edit on 16-9-2020 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

I don’t have the time of day to post all the videos or stories where police have abused their authority.

It happens too many times IMO.

There aren't many where the cops abused their power without a reason, I'm sure you'd be able to post the few there are in less than 10 minutes. Police don't just walk up to someone and shoot for no reason.

posted on Sep, 16 2020 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Charliebrowndog

Or increase the pay and let former military be police. How often do you hear about corruption in the military? That would strike another one off the list. If you've experienced time on a battlefield then you can make those split second decisions. Just be sure to test for PTSD.

However, in my opinion, there have always been a-hole cops out there - I've had to deal with them multiple times in the past - and the only sure way to go home alive is to comply. If the cops is wrong, take it to court like I've had to do twice. Even if you lose (like I did), losing a couple hundred bucks is better than losing your life.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join