It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to GREATLY reduce Police brutality

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Firstly, I support the police. It's a hard job, and often thankless.

That being said, there is room for improvement.

Here's my suggestion.

If a city settles, or pays out for a lawsuit loss, it comes out of their (the police) retirement fund instead of the public paying for it.
The officers involved would have to pay out a higher percent.

What do you think?

I also think it's time for alternative methods to guns, obviously tasers aren't working either.

edit on 15-9-2020 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Here's my suggestion.

If a city settles, or pays out for a lawsuit loss, it comes out of their (the police) retirement fund instead of the public paying for it.

What do you think?

I also think it's time for alternative methods to guns, obviously tasers aren't working either.

A for effort but don't you think this would simply open the floodgates for suits?

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I do appreciate you starting a dialog about this. Let's hope it can remain constructive and sensible

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 03:52 PM
link   

I'd say the best and easiest way to cut down on police brutality, dramatically, is to comply with law enforcement.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 03:53 PM
link   

I think I have an even better idea.

Say a cop comes at you bro......and you have your gat. (not sure of that terminology is right) When the cop tells you to "drop the weapon", drop the weapon. Do what they tell you to do. Even if they look and sound mean.

If you employ this tactic, and listen, comply, and respect the authority of the officer, there is a very large chance you will live through the encounter.

I believe there are bad apples, and they need to be identified and removed. But the current stupid, is well beyond the limitations of the definition of that word. Protest that an armed guy, lunging at a cop with a knife raised in the air, when the person holding the knife is currently awaiting trial for stabbing and slashing others? Stupid doesn't even step into the venue.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I can’t remember if it was brought up on a previous thread or on something else I was watching but the presenter raised a question about why do we send a lawyer to school for several years to learn and defend the law when we have cops coming out with many times less than a years worth of schooling and training?

I believe police officers need and should get more training before they are out on the streets. I also believe that with that training they should be receiving better pay as well. It is a thankless job that many people would not want or incapable of doing. I believe that changes will be coming that will help everyone avoid issues such as police brutality but I think we also need to understand as a society that there will be sometimes when force is warranted and needed to control a situation

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 03:54 PM
link   

There would be push back from the Unions for sure.

I'm not for defunding the police. But let's take away their toys. Why does a civilian police force need MRAPS? Let's take away their military gear. Also let's completely remove their ability to seize assets. There should be no way for the police to take someones money or property. And while we are at it, let's decriminalize drug possession. No more using the smell of weed as an excuse to harass people.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

If law enforcement just stopped enforcing those damn “laws” we wouldn’t have a problem.

Oh yeah racism!🦾
edit on 15-9-2020 by Aallanon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Say a cop comes at you bro......and you have your gat. (not sure of that terminology is right) When the cop tells you to "drop the weapon", drop the weapon. Do what they tell you to do. Even if they look and sound mean.

That is great and all, but some portions of the population can't, like those with autism, or mental disorders.
There have been cases where these kinds of people were shot.
But.. yes I do agree, if you are able, follow directions.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 03:56 PM
link   

It seems like the simplest solution would be to charge police accordingly in cases of excessive force.

If a cop beats the # out of someone, charge with them the applicable level of assault any other criminal would face.

If a cop unjustly murders someone, charge them with murder.

What I see in these cases are uses of excessive force on civilians by police and a lack of actual reprocussions. A suspension is not a fit punishment.

These cases should be investigated independently as any other crime.

Police need to have the authority to use force when necessary in the course of their duty. But that authority needs to come with the proper checks and balances and overstepping that authority needs to be dealt with properly.

If a cop knew they could be charged for murder in an unnecessary killing, guarantee they'd think a little more before pulling a trigger.

Which is a benefit for everyone. It stops brutality and naturally weens out those people that choose to be cops so they can get a pass on acting like that. Over time, through natural selection, the quality of police forces overall improves.

link   
a reply to: TXRabbit

Not just that, but the city gives these people millions of dollars. No way a cop would ever be able to pay that out. Instead of inflaming tensions and driving the racial divide like the media and sports are doing, along with advertisements and bLM, they should all be pushing a message to comply with police, and pushing parents to speak to their kids about complying with police. Too many claim they're afraid of being shot just for being black which is the biggest cop out (no pun intended) I've ever heard. Playing victim never gets you anywhere.

link   

JUST OBEY, cuz that always works.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Here's my suggestion.

What do you think?

No. A lot of cities will settle just to avoid the cost of a long trial and be done with it, why should the police pay for that?
Will the criminals use alternative weapons instead of guns and knives?
edit on 15-9-2020 by Chance321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Money, or lack of it, is a huge motivator in this country. No doubt about that.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Charliebrowndog
I can’t remember if it was brought up on a previous thread or on something else I was watching but the presenter raised a question about why do we send a lawyer to school for several years to learn and defend the law when we have cops coming out with many times less than a years worth of schooling and training?

I believe police officers need and should get more training before they are out on the streets. I also believe that with that training they should be receiving better pay as well. It is a thankless job that many people would not want or incapable of doing. I believe that changes will be coming that will help everyone avoid issues such as police brutality but I think we also need to understand as a society that there will be sometimes when force is warranted and needed to control a situation

That's a good idea, but you can't prepare yourself for the unknown split second decisions you face as a police officer. College can't even prepare kids for the real world anymore. A lawyer knows as much about the law as a cop does, but that lawyer stands in a courtroom to present a case, (s)he doesn't face a situation where you have a split second to determine whether or not you're about to lose your life or take take the other one. A lawyer is more like the armchair QB screaming about what the QB in the middle of a play should be doing.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aallanon

If law enforcement just stopped enforcing those “laws” we wouldn’t have a problem.

Oh yeah racism!🦾

*SNORT*

Stop it, you're making me laugh out loud at my desk!

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I doubt very many, if any, police unions have 12 million dollars in their retirement funds. Maybe the few largest cities.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 04:07 PM
link   

How about anyone that files bankruptcy has the money taken from their social security?

I don’t know how anyone else feels about this but if I was a cop I sure as hell wouldn’t show up to certain neighborhoods.
It’s a no win situation...

And legally speaking you can’t take money from an employee retirement fund.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 04:07 PM
link   

a reply to: network dude

That is great and all, but some portions of the population can't, like those with autism, or mental disorders.
There have been cases where these kinds of people were shot.
But.. yes I do agree, if you are able, follow directions.

They're on the street mainly because mental wards were closed down. Open those back up and lots of people with mental disabilities that cause problems can be taken care of by a hospital. It'll also clear some room in the prison system because there are insane people in prison that belong in an asylum.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 04:09 PM
link   
If we are going to hold cops to a higher standard (than they are now) thats all fine and good, but on the flip side people filming it or running to the press with a sensational version of things that helps whip the easily duped into a frenzy need to be held to a standard as well.

Selectivly edited fim run by a news agency the news agency needs to be held acountable, lying to the reporter and not giving a statement to the cops, or giving a totally different statement all need to be prosecuted.

The same if a cop is convicted of excessive force all angles need to be held acountable not just one.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join