It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teachers are in a no win situation

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

In our restaurants, its an average of about $10/hr less than they were making. But our servers made bank.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO

originally posted by: Hypntick
a reply to: JAGStorm

The wife and I were discussing this earlier, hopefully it does move online.

You’re joking right?

As if the majority of our youth wasn’t already lazy ass gamers.

Let’s give them an excuse to stare at a computer screen, for every waking hour of the day.....

It'd be a good thing. Had that happen in the first place the Marxist uprising would've never happened. Parents would've been able to pin point to their children what's crazy and what's not instead agendas pushed down their throat. Plus children would've gotten a better picture if true history provided the parents took the time.

This whole mess was created because the system wanted both parents at work.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 04:14 PM
link   

If schooling goes online, they should sell the schools and give the taxpayers back their money

Are you paying in arrears or advance?

I don't think public school teachers are paid enough in my state.

edit on 7/13/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Why specifically do they not want to go back?

Afraid of the virus?

Afraid of racial backlash?

Some just want to stay at home and get paid for it.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Home schooling did not go well here. Many of the parents simply could not get their kids to do the work, nor did they have the necessary patience to deal with all the lessons, etc.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

In our restaurants, its an average of about $10/hr less than they were making. But our servers made bank.

It’s positive to see the ones that came back, even for less money.

They were making great money. I lived in Austin for two years. Back for family all the time.

Wish it was in the back country of Texas, though. I don’t appreciate Austin anymore....

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3

Why specifically do they not want to go back?

Afraid of the virus?

Afraid of racial backlash?

Some just want to stay at home and get paid for it.

I’ve met MANY teachers in my trade. A great many of them became teachers for the two months off a year. Lots of them are big travelers.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Kids need:
REAL books
REAL interaction
SOCIAL interaction
CRITICAL thinking
Sorry I got angry,
The whole IT/PC/Computer culture is extremely detrimental to our youth's cognitive process. Studies have been done proving that reading on a screen takes your memory of the text to half as much as with a real book. Not to mention the dumbing down of the children through instant clicking gratification.
I am not old but I remember having stacks of books in the library to write a paper

This cannot be allowed to die.

Not to mention once again the harm inherent in standardised testing and big corporations in the classroom ala Gates and his ilk.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 05:04 PM
link   
It's a damned if you and damned if you don't situation.

My daughter teaches special needs kids she said teaching them online is extremely difficult, she is afraid many will eventually regress and have to be held back etc. But as she also said it would be extremely difficult keeping them having masks on and hands wash if they were in a classroom. They have lost that routine that structure.

Lets face it a lot of kids need to be at school, not only ones with questionable home lives, it's too much idle time . I got friends that swear going to school saved them, cause their home life was so crappy.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

If schooling goes online, they should sell the schools and give the taxpayers back their money

I don't think public school teachers are paid enough in my state.

Absolutely, teachers have never been paid enough.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I guess One of the things that I assumed were that teachers werre passionate about their jobs. I am passionate abou tmy job and work that I do, I am willing to put myself at risk to help others.

Schools are vital to our society.

This notion about remote learning being effective. If someone can show me data that remote learning for children is effective or more effective then in person learning. I am all ears.

But lets think how most kids are, they can be easily distracted. If a teacher is gving a critical part of the lesson they might be able to tell if a child didnt catch that how are they going to tell if all the children understood the lesson doing remote learning.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
Teachers?

Me?
I worry about the kids. They have no choice.
Many don't do well with online schooling....with no parental oversight they will be playing WOW or something.
Many will not flourish without the classroom debates.
Many will wither and some will die without socialization with their peers....and will suffer greatly developmentally, socially, emotionally and mentally for the rest of their lives.

There no replacement for on site teaching, IMHO.
Flawed though it may be.

I would say most teachers themselves worry about the kids, even when they worry about themselves.

Teachers need the interactions, as much as the the children do.
However, it's still a reality that children can be carriers and asymptomatic, and that's where the threat could/would come from. The teachers will know this, and the invidious intended remarks from Trump telling the schools to open, and the invidious intended spouts from Devos, is like sticking a knife into the teachers..it's unfair and devious, Trump or Devos have no clue of reality, they don't even have some kind of plan, just spitting at people who are the ones who really make a country great.

Case in point, there is a very good primary school right across the road from my house. Teachers there have been putting in hours way over the norm not just because of the lockdown, but because that's the way it is for them, but since March though, they have had to concentrate on ways and means of getting their school workable..and I can watch them going home as late as midnight or longer, now, I haven't been able to talk to them lately, but the last time I did talk, they had worked out distancing for the hallways, like keeping left, (in our case) along with the need to have caution when classes end and doors open, large circles in atriums' and the like, that must be circumvented, and a whyfor rationality for children, (not newbees) per se, but others who are already at the school, as well as a rationale for the parents to explain to their children why they must/not should, do this.
I take my hat off to the teachers, here, and perhaps especially the US, they deserve better from the Trump admin that really offers nothing, but wanting something.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

Opening schools does not just put the teachers at risk.

It's a very difficult situation. For the Administration to threaten the use of a stick instead of a carrot is reprehensible. (Yes, I know I have the metaphor screwed up but it's commonly used in this way.)

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Los Angeles School District just said, “Nope. Not doing it this Fall.” And California itself is going back into lockdown.

I wouldn’t send my kids to school if I had any. Of course Covid weighs low on that decision...

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

I mean it goes to the point of how important do we think schools are?

Are schools essential?

We are talking 15 kids who will be okay from the virus to 1 teacher depending on the age might be affected.

Yes I think we should look at mitigation and protective factors as far as older teachers go.

But we have to have schools in our society.

We are already seeing the breakdown of scoiety with the way these crime rates are going up.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Opening schools does not just put the teachers at risk

I mean we are all at risk in some form or another.

Do you think schools are essential??

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

I do think schools are essential. I also think that they pose a high chance of increasing the risk to the general population unless stringent safeguards are in place. That's why I said it's a very difficult situation.

The administration says the guidelines are too costly. Obviously they are costly. So help pay for them, don't threaten existing funding if a school district cannot open safely.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Good point about alot of parents not making sure that the kids do their work and end up not getting an education. Wonder who they will blame for that?
They won't be able to blame anyone but themselves.
I said before that alot of people don't like to make decisions because they can't blame anyone if they make the wrong decisions.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Online might be fine for high school kids but for elementary kids it not going to work very well.
Our schools have already allowed athletes to practice too.

Online learning does not work at all for elementary kids; the technology is simply not ready for this age group that does a lot of their learning visually and through the spoken word.

The last three months of my kids last school year was abysmal and I happen to live in decent school district that was very productive.

We spent more time trying to get the technology to work than we did our kids. It was very frustrating and I think it did more to turn my kids away from learning than it taught them. By the end I started to teach my kids my own way rather than try to follow the schools program. We just checked the box in the school apps so as not be harassed for not participating.

I'm sympathetic to the teachers; I'm sure they want what is best for the kids. But online learning the way they did it at the end of the last school year is not what is best for the children.
edit on 13-7-2020 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Did anyone address the mental social component of this. Kids need to be social with other kids. I have neices that all they want to do is just have their faced glued to the tablet or I-pad. at least with schools they would have a couple of hours to break them from being on thier devices.
edit on 13-7-2020 by American-philosopher because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join