It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teachers are in a no win situation

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I have a lot of friends that are teachers.
I don't know a single one that wants to go back

www.yahoo.com...

'I Don't Want to Go Back': Many Teachers Are Fearful and Angry Over Pressure to Return

Some are going to retire, some don't know what they will do. One thing is for sure, if they don't go back
and things continue to go toward online classes, there is no need for as many teachers. Many could be shooting themselves
in the foot. You know that cliche, becareful what you wish for. I see many of these jobs being eliminated. I could even see things consolidating
on a state/county region. Take the best teachers, give them IT help, and maybe multiple grading assistants/helpers, boom.

I'm old enough to see this coming for years. One of the best ways to control people (the church has done this for centuries) is to control education.
If everything goes online some kids will just fall behind because parents are too lazy. I actually think that will be the case for a lot of kids.
The small percent of kids that have active parents will rise to the top. Some of these kids might gather in groups and get tutored etc. Maybe there will be private quarantined bording type of schools.

This is just one more way to push the divide between the rich and the poor. I didn't think it would happen so soon, but is is happening....
edit on 13-7-2020 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

+18 more 
posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

All I know is if they aren't going to do their damn jobs as contracted I want my property tax money back.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

All I know is if they aren't going to do their damn jobs as contracted I want my property tax money back.

Good luck with that.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Why specifically do they not want to go back?

Afraid of the virus?

Afraid of racial backlash?

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 03:36 PM
link   

The wife and I were discussing this earlier, hopefully it does move online. This then leads to the argument that not all children have internet access, which could lead toward legislation making ISP's utility providers. Hopefully leading to better infrastructure and lower prices all around.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO

Afraid of the virus?

I haven't hear anything about racial backlash.
100% due to virus, and not because they are "scared" either.
Some of it is due to conditions, multiple hand washing for many kids.
(Think of a class of 30 washing hands 7x a school day?) crazy.
What to do if a kid has Covid and comes to school.
Dealing with parents and as you can imagine their feelings on Covid.
Opinions on masks.

edit on 13-7-2020 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hypntick

The wife and I were discussing this earlier, hopefully it does move online.

You’re joking right?

As if the majority of our youth wasn’t already lazy ass gamers.

Let’s give them an excuse to stare at a computer screen, for every waking hour of the day.....

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 03:40 PM
link   

That would be awesome, and highly unlikely.

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Good luck with that.

It's time to reassess this. I'm not going to get into detail on what I pay in taxes but it's absurd and close to 80% of it goes to the school budget. If they aren't doing their jobs they shouldn't get paid.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

If they aren't doing their jobs they shouldn't get paid.

Did toll booths go away? ...

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

We have EZ-Pass so it's mostly no toll takers.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Afraid of the virus?

Well, for starters, you could read the damn article that's linked in the OP.

Admittedly, I don't know what it's like to work in the educational community, but I have a relative who works with kids and they get ill much more frequently than most everyone else in my circle. Some sort of bug at least every other month. Usually just a minor illness, but that's just in a normal year. I can easily see fully opening schools in the midst of a pandemic to be potentially disastrous without taking extreme precautions. I feel for teachers and childcare workers more than ever.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 03:45 PM
link   

That's funny! I lived in Jacksonville in the 80's. We voted for a sales tax increase to eliminate the tool bridges. They collected both for over five years.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Online might be fine for high school kids but for elementary kids it not going to work very well.
Our schools have already allowed athletes to practice too.

Besides,,,,masks prevent the disease so as long as the teachers wear masks they are totally safe....ha

edit on 13-7-2020 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

It actually moves the lever of accountability back towards the parents, when for a while now (even when I was growing up) that burden was placed on the teacher's. The content is presented online and if your little bundle of joy flunks out you have no one to blame but yourself, prepares them for the real world where people don't hold their hands all the time.

This is also good training for future jobs as most manual labor service jobs are going to go bye-bye at some point in the future. So yeah, they'll be in offices sitting in front of a computer all day.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Teachers?
They chose their fields.
They knew they would be working with kids.
We've had big disease issues before.....and even pandemics.

Me?
I worry about the kids. They have no choice.
Many don't do well with online schooling....with no parental oversight they will be playing WOW or something.
Many will not flourish without the classroom debates.
Many will wither and some will die without socialization with their peers....and will suffer greatly developmentally, socially, emotionally and mentally for the rest of their lives.

There no replacement for on site teaching, IMHO.
Flawed though it may be.

So, online schools only = I want half my property taxes back.
PRONTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I'm sorry to hear this. I'm a teacher, and I can't wait to get back in my classroom. We had a wide variety of training in online resources back in March when our school shifted completely to virtual learning. I was comfortable teaching online, but really miss the daily interaction with students. I hope we are back in the building at least part of the week when school starts, but if not, I am prepared to deliver lessons online only. I think we will probably have some sort of modified schedule, but my district hasn't released the plan yet. If we have to disinfect desks between classes or whatever, I have no problem with that. I am able to teach online, but much prefer working with students in person.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Afraid of the virus?

I haven't hear anything about racial backlash.
100% due to virus, and not because they are "scared" either.
Some of it is due to conditions, multiple hand washing for many kids.
(Think of a class of 30 washing hands 7x a school day?) crazy.
What to do if a kid has Covid and comes to school.
Dealing with parents and as you can imagine their feelings on Covid.
Opinions on masks.

Makes total sense. Most everyone in the public sector just had their jobs get 10 times harder.

Went to Sunglasses Hut yesterday. They had to sanitize every freaking pair I tried on. And I try on a lot, due to having a funky shaped face.

Servers in restaurants have less than half the patrons. Yet, they are working just as hard sanitizing everything.

It’s a mess.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Good luck with that.

It's time to reassess this. I'm not going to get into detail on what I pay in taxes but it's absurd and close to 80% of it goes to the school budget. If they aren't doing their jobs they shouldn't get paid.

Totally agree.

If schooling goes online, they should sell the schools and give the taxpayers back their money.

But it will never happen, unfortunately.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Its a hot mess.

I have friends who kids are begging them to homeschool next year. In Texas this will be interesting, as property tax issues are front and center to just about everyone right now, and the powder keg is already set to blow over it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join