It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stimulus check 2020, should the disabled get it

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

It's not your fault man. My brother in law has had to have back surgery as well so I know how limited you are. Hopefully things start going your way soon. And I doubt you're pathetic, though you could probably use a knuckle sandwich for that kind of downtrodden talk about yourself.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 04:25 PM
link   
You said: I've read that the disabled will not get this check .

Where did you read that?

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Well dang!! At least let him have a cell phone so he can call 9/11 and tell them what bridge they can find his body under while he draws his last breath!!
Sorry, I know that didnt sound too good but ya, let's all pick holes in the story and show him just where he is wasting all of his $20 or so dollars.
Maybe hes using a friends computer, maybe hes at a public library, maybe hes in a shelter that offers computers and internet to help the homeless find jobs.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

originally posted by: Creep Thumper

originally posted by: Xtrozero

The only people that should receive anything are the people out of work because of the pandemic.

Disabled people will still be getting their regular income.
So do school teachers.

I think a stoppage of mortgage/rent for 2 months would stimulate a good deal and then we do not need to use taxes to stimulate.

I have some rental houses.
How exactly does my renters not paying me their rent stimulate me?

The useless eaters want everything for free.

I don't think that is anyone's viewpoint on this one.
We all want to help people but it's just a matter of using the best plan.

You'd be wrong about that based on a conversation I overheard today, but okay.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

Well dang!! At least let him have a cell phone so he can call 9/11 and tell them what bridge they can find his body under while he draws his last breath!!
Sorry, I know that didnt sound too good but ya, let's all pick holes in the story and show him just where he is wasting all of his $20 or so dollars.
Maybe hes using a friends computer, maybe hes at a public library, maybe hes in a shelter that offers computers and internet to help the homeless find jobs.

That's why I asked instead of accusing him of any of the things you just said.

There are certainly legit ways people without a pot to piss in can access the internet.

There are certainly also people who have fallen on hard economic times but don't think to eliminate crap they don't need from their spending.

Asking to find out which of those columns the poster falls into is not unreasonable. If it's the latter, they could use the questioning and subsequent advice. I don't know the person, I have no idea if they're financially savvy. You'd be surprised how many people are broke but still spend money they don't have on things they don't need.

And for the record, modern cell networks let you call 911 whether you have an active service plan or not. That's a great example of WHY we ask questions like this. Maybe, like you, that person doesn't realize they don't need to be paying for cell service to be able to call 911. If that's the case they could spend that money on food instead.
edit on 17 3 20 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Consider how much he says he is trying to live on a month...
Does it really matter that much how it's being spent?
I dont have that much of an appetite, a few crackers and some peanut butter, a tea bag and little sugar every day would keep me happy, wouldn't keep me alive probably, but my stomach wouldnt be protesting. But, just that for a month would probably eat up most of his income.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Consider how much he says he is trying to live on a month...
Does it really matter that much how it's being spent?
I dont have that much of an appetite, a few crackers and some peanut butter, a tea bag and little sugar every day would keep me happy, wouldn't keep me alive probably, but my stomach wouldnt be protesting. But, just that for a month would probably eat up most of his income.

Yeah it does actually. Internet and cell phone bills can be very expensive. They can buy a lot of food. Again, that's why I asked what his particular situation was. Maybe it's not relevant. It could be very relevant. I'm not accusing him of anything.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 06:14 PM
link   

You ain't gonna have an expensive cellphone bill if you dont have access to the money to pay for it are you?
If I have only $30 a month coming in and have exhausted my savings.. at the most, all I am gonna be paying for phone service is $30.. and more like, I am doing without because food and shelter, warmth would be more important to me. More than likely, you would find me abandoning that $30 /month income and heading into the national forest with fishing pole, ax, nails and whatever else I thought would be useful that I could carry..
Thinking gee god, they dont care if I live or die, let's see if you do.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 07:07 PM
link   

I use anyone's wifi that will allow me access. It's everywhere.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 07:13 PM
link   

You ain't gonna have an expensive cellphone bill if you dont have access to the money to pay for it are you?
If I have only $30 a month coming in and have exhausted my savings.. at the most, all I am gonna be paying for phone service is $30.. and more like, I am doing without because food and shelter, warmth would be more important to me. More than likely, you would find me abandoning that $30 /month income and heading into the national forest with fishing pole, ax, nails and whatever else I thought would be useful that I could carry..
Thinking gee god, they dont care if I live or die, let's see if you do.

You're still not getting it. There are people who are literally starving, have no money for food, yet continue to blow money every month on crap they don't need like booze, expensive cable packages, expensive phone bills. Just because you don't think people would do that doesn't mean they wouldn't. I have no idea what the poster's situation was, which, again, is why I ASKED. I've explained this to you like 4 different ways and you simply don't have the brainpower to comprehend what I was getting at. I'm not wasting anymore time on you, I might as well try to explain this to my cat.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

I use anyone's wifi that will allow me access. It's everywhere.

This is a much more adult way to answer my question. Perhaps dawnstar can take some notes.

Like some other posters have said, I hope they don't shell out this "aid" to people who don't need it and instead get it to folks like you instead.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 07:53 PM
link   

The only thing I buy generally is cheap Coffee. It's much harder to come by than food. Im resourceful enough to find something to eat most days.

Anything I consume is charity. When I said 20$ that was pretty close to my budget.

I don't want to ask ppl for help, and I'm unsure I could accept it. It's too traumatic, I tried it a few times in the past and I ended up mentally and emotionally scarred as a result. I feel so unbelievably guilty and ashamed to need help from anyone.

I don't know how to talk about it. It feels horrible to admit I'm pathetic in front of people I wished liked me. That I'm a pathetic cripple. I can't even accomplish basic tasks hardly.

Let's just hope the govt will give me the 1k. Otherwise I will have nothing because I'm not asking for it and Im very uncomfortable accepting it if it's offered.

I will find a solution hopefully but I'm way slower than I used to be, I've become stuck and very indecisive and lacking focus. I'm hamstrung.

I truly believe in my Heart this is a lesson and tribulation from God to teach me how materialistic attitudes corrupt us. Because soon I will have Fortune and I need to know how to handle all that wealth without corrupting my Soul. That's my belief and it gets me thru the day, I don't care if it sounds crazy. I know things will be much better soon. I just know it. So I'm OK tonight.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: wrayth

If you're on disability you're already getting government cheese, why do you need more cheese that could go to others not already getting cheese?

cheese....

motivational... ?

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Dude, no broken spine but financially I'm right there with you. I made zero last year from January 1 until December when my disability was approved (finally). Zero. I had some inheritance squirreled back, but it was going to be gone after January 1 of this year. I was one month from sitting hungry and cold in a dark house.

All my best to you, sir. I will say this: if I lived near you, you would not ever go hungry.

Now, to the question asked... I am one of those disabled people. I cannot work; most of my day is spent lying in a recliner resting from some strenuous activity like taking a shower or walking outside. So should I get a check?

To be honest, I don't care. If Congress thinks I should, I'll take it and it'll go right into the bank for when it is needed. If Congress doesn't think I need it, no biggie. I don't need much. I would rather see someone like muzzleflash get one than me. There are more needy people out there who need help, and while the purpose is to combat the economic panic over the WuFlu, I see nothing wrong with adding in a general economic stimulus at the same time. There is no accurate way to determine who exactly has been affected, so we have to cover everyone.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:27 PM
link   

There is nothing pathetic in what you just said about yourself.

Words of a survivor, is what I heard.

We're far and few between, we make do with what the world leaves, are generally self sufficient and we see the abject reckless nature of the average person who discards things because they have the monetary ability to just get another one.

They will be the ones who suffer when the real SHTF... we'll be going.. "Meh, this is fine.."

People will notice us if we pass unexpectedly.. simply because the one voice that caused them to think differently, has become silent.. and the obnoxious noise of complacency is now deafening..

Chin up, brother. Walk tall despite the pain, and don't let them give you any guff... or cough on you.

edit on 17-3-2020 by TrustedTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrustedTruth

There is nothing pathetic in what you just said about yourself.

I'll second that. And I'll add there's nothing wrong with getting some help, if people are willing to give it. I'm sure you've done plenty of charity when you were doing better.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:43 PM
link   

and that still doesnt change the fact!
If you cant find a place to lay your head at night for less than $400, and it will cost you another $100 to keep your little pad warm, and $150 to feed you for the month...
And you can only gain access to $50 each month, it doesnt matter what you spend that $50 on.. you are gonna be screwed!! And maybe I read nuzzleflashes post wrong but think he pegged his income at around $20 and it's been like for awhile so i imagine his credit cards would be maxed out by now and any savings depleted.

Just speaking from experience, its irritating as all hell when you are saying this is how much the basic needs cost and this is how much I have coming in and there is a large shortage and people just go talking about the cable tv that you gave up long time ago, the expensive cellphone when you have no cellphone whatsoever, the $100 pairs of sneakers when your oldest kids can barely fit in any of his clothes bought over a year ago. When your choosing between rent, the $100 prescription that keeps your son breathing, or food for the next two weeks!

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Sorry, double post.
edit on 17-3-2020 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Welcome to the system and fair. I know a few people who lied about their health, both mental and physical and get a free ride. Makes me want to throw up. FUN isnt it? I'm on my 5th year of unsupervised severe mental illness but at least I'm not a medicated zombie anymore.

posted on Mar, 17 2020 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I guess I’m confused and I’m really bAd at math but isn’t 300,000,000 x 1000 about 25 trillion dollars?

How is doubling the national debt in one month to give people not even one months respite a solution? Seems cheaper to just forgive all current tax refunds for 2020 might be better to me. Did I fudge that math?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join