It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who here is/was getting flu shot every year?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder

First of all the flu isn't usually life threatening

80,000 people might have agreed with you in 2018 (and an estimated 12 - 41,000 more for this flu season).

But they can't.

Because they're dead.

edit on 24-2-2020 by Deplorable because:

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Was able to BS my way out of getting one for almost 10 yrs, but have been stuck getting it the last few years in a row now.

Have seen no difference in the frequency of getting the flu. Usually about once a year.

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Every year like clockwork. My partner is an ER nurse and its mandatory for her. I'd hate for her to bring something nasty home.

I never get the flu (or anything else).

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: makemap

I get it every year. However, I have a much higher exposure potential than many given the nature of my job

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 09:07 PM
link   

I do get a flu shot each year- well, at least for the past six years ever since I found out my better half is Typhoid Mary reincarnated! Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. There have been a few times I got mild cases of the flu while people I know that caught the same flu got sick as dogs so the vaccine does offer some protection when they pick the right strains. I also got a pneumonia shot this year (my first one) because (a) I am a heart patient and (b) within the past year several people I know have ended up hospitalized with an antibiotic resistant pneumonia.

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 09:09 PM
link   

I have mild exercise induced asthma, so I tend to get mine when I think I may need it.

One year I got a severe bronchial infection from wildfires in the western part of the state. I coughed so badly I may have injured my ribs. Certainly, I had lingering chest pains for months afterward. It took I don't know how many courses of medication to finally get rid of it.

That year, I got a flu shot because there was just no way I wanted any part of another cough so soon, or any part of another chest infection.

This year I also got my shot because I was having shoulder surgery and just didn't want to experience post-op shoulder pain with a wracking cough if I could avoid it. I just didn't think that would be at all fun. So I got my shot.

Normally, I don't bother.

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Looking back, it was the anthrax scares immediately folloewimg 9/11/2001 that had insurance sponsoring annual flu shots at our workplace... Theyd show up around halloween and have everyone line up for them right in the hr mezzanine! I realized it was a sham after getting sick following them for three consec yrs.
Never again; Chemtrails r bad enuf!

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I've never had one. My wife and kids get one every year. I catch flack from my wife but I just don't think about it. Hasn't really made much of a difference to me. I rarely get the flu. I might get a cold once or twice a year.

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I have never had a flu shot and it’s rare that I would get sick. If I do get a cold it only lasts for a day or two. I went seven years without getting sick, not even a cold, until two years ago. I had a mild case of the flu but it was more of just a feeling of being run down, nothing bad enough to keep me in bed. After two days of this I ended up in the hospital feeling like I was going to have a heart attack. After a pile of tests over four days the doctors determined that the flu virus had attacked my heart and it was only functioning at 9% of normal. Now two years later I’m getting close to being back to normal but I do need to get the shot every year. So yes, the flu can kill you, don’t find out the hard way, get the shot.

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Your right. Every year they update them as best as they can to protect against the strains that existed the year before. Almost seems completely redundant to me.

Funnily enough I had been thinking abort calling my doctor this week to check whether I got mine. The Coronavirus thing got me thinking but it doesn’t protect against that anyway. I can’t remember for the life of me whether I actually got one in the end or not. I have got mine most years on the NHS here in the UK (free for me because I’m asthmatic) but sometimes I’ve just forgotten or decided I can’t be bothered to go and do it.

I don’t have any problem with needles so that’s no issue. I’ve also not had flu but I am 26 and again, some years I haven’t got it and it’s been fine.

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 09:40 PM
link   

I get sicker than a dog off of flu shots, I have had two in my life and my immune system goes wild. I may have gotten the flu when I was on Beta blockers one year, but I only get a mild version of it, like a day or two of mild symptoms, when I do get it. My wife has always been jeolous, but I turn into a big crybaby when I get sick so she should not be jealous because it is easier on her if I do not get sick. I whine a lot when I get sick because it is usually rare for me to get really sick....but after those two flu shots five years apart.....I learned that my reaction was a cytokine storm now, my body threw a fit when elements of the virus were injected in my body. If that is what the flu is like, I sure do not want to get the flu. I know a couple of others who got that kind of reaction, one woman wound up in the hospital for a week. The doctor told her never to get another flu shot, and I had one doctor tell me to avoid the flu shot, it could kill me. He said I have good natural immunity and I should be happy I do.

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

It's just easier to say allergy, but yeah.

edit on 24-2-2020 by DBCowboy because: I am Batman

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Me. And a pneumonia vaccine.

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Haven't had one in almost 38 years. I am glad my Mother was ahead of the curve.

Coincidentally..I've never had the "Flu".

BTW: I'll be 38 this year...coincidence I think not.

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Never. I was warned by a doctor not to.
For medical reasons.
Off the record.

edit on 2/24/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 10:11 PM
link   
When I got my jabs, (and do mean PLURAL) in basic, lol, I didn't get so much as a sniffle for almost my entire enlistment afterwards!

It really floored me to be honest. Either I was just lucky as all get out, or the military stuck me with a cool one.

That shot I would take again in a heartbeat.

Flu shot?

Eh.

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I don't do flu shots or nasal mists. I've never suffered from the flu except for the two times I had tried it.

Tried a flu shot one year, got super sick. Swore off flu shots.

Joined the military and they tricked me and gave me a nasal mist and I got sick.

After that whenever the corpsmen would hound me about getting a flu shot or nasal mist I would tell them I'll get around to it. Until they quit asking me about it.

I remember every year watching the people around me on my ship sick as a dog and weak, and those of us who had avoided the shots and mists walked around like superbeings lol.

The things are bogus, and about as likely to make you sick than not. I don't trust free stuff anyways. There's always a catch.
edit on 2422020 by AutomateThis1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

Was it the peanut butter shot in the butt cheek? That thing was harsh lol. Felt like someone threw a brick at my ass haha

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: makemap
Who here is/was getting flu shot every year?

It seems that hospitals and pharmacies keeps advertising to get flu shot every winter season. Since like 5 years ago I think. I tend to ignore them and never got a single flu after my last shot which was like 2012.

I think it depends on age. Never get them but will start next year. Found out tonight a girl I grew up with died from the flu. She was in her mid 40's. Her husband and children left to go to a Mardi Gras parade over the weekend. Said she was not feeling well and was going to the doctor Monday. She didn't make it to Monday. It was not that bad when they left her but 24 hrs later it took a turn for the worse. Really need to get the shot as you get older.

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: rickymouse

It's just easier to say allergy, but yeah.

It is not really an allergy, my immune system over reacts. Asthma has triggers, those triggers are allergies, but the over expression of response is a condition called asthma. My body knows what the virus is and attacks it fine....good innate immunity. But when it sees these antigens and viral chemicals containing the antigen in my body, it decides to throw everything at it. Our symptoms of the flu are usually caused by our immune system responding to the flu, that is what usually kills people, an over reaction, also known as sepsis. That is a whole different health condition, now they include sepsis deaths to the deaths of the flu. Also, people who get the flu sometimes get pneumonia from others easier, so they include pneumonia from their trip to the doctor waiting room to the number of flu deaths too. Disease is a big promotion to sell vaccines these days. I do agree some people do need vaccines, I got more of a problem keeping my immune system from starting to chew on me than worrying about the flu. If my immune system is fighting things in the environment, it isn't using my cells to practice on.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join